Why do all the 4 into 1 exhausts exit on the right side ?

What is on the left side where the pipe would be....A moving CHAIN. Hard to tuck a single side exhaust in close to the bike with the rotating saw:laugh: The arm on the left has the perfect spot for single tube exhaust. Dual exhaust on the left side is further out to get around the chain and arm.

I've often wondered if you really gain any hp with going from a 4-2 to a 4-1. Does anyone know?

if I were to venture a guess...I would say because most people mount their bike from the left and it lessens the chance of you burning your leg or kicking it.

What is on the left side where the pipe would be....A moving CHAIN. Hard to tuck a single side exhaust in close to the bike with the rotating saw:laugh: The arm on the left has the perfect spot for single tube exhaust. Dual exhaust on the left side is further out to get around the chain and arm.

they appear to be pretty balanced on the stock busa pipe.

they appear to be pretty balanced on the stock busa pipe.

But when you have pulled a factory system have you ever noticed the big dent in the left hand mid pipe for chain clearance, that must affect flow somewhat.

i have the perfect answer, and people tell me this about alot of different questions I ask

BECAUSE THEY CAN.....:laugh:

As for being on the right side i really can't say I do know that several Euro Version and Japan Version of Bikes that came to the states had exhaust that exited on the Left. Such as a Honda VFR.

I'm sure if someone wanted to they could fab up a diffrent Y pipe or have an exhaust shop make you one so you could put it on the other side

there's more space to keep the exhaust close to the body on the right side. The left side already needs room for the chain.

Most of those exhausts stem from road racing applications. A lot of racers will tell you it's a little more difficult to turn hard right than it is hard left so there's a better chance of dumped the bike on the left side. It's a lot more cost prohibitive to have the exhaust on the side you're least likely to wreck on.

I have no factual basis for this but it's been a topic of conversation with some people I race with.

I would presume coz it makes sense when your bike is on the kickstand your can is out there. these days cans are also visual (beauty) + for performance. It would be a pitty to hide the can while the bike is on its kickstand...

Back