why did they lowside?

The R6 going into the guardrail lost front traction after going through what looks like a light oil spill. Probably from someone else who hit the guardrail. :poke:

so I did not see much of anything done right :laugh: what a great "what not to do" video collection.. I think the lack of gear would be the first clue that "you are not doing it right" :)

+1 Effed up, effed up & effed up. (or vaseline & pea gravel on the road :laugh:)

Lack of f'n talent is what happened in all of then...nothing wrong with the road.

Too much front brake, or too much throttle...for the lean angle :rulez:

A cloud of some sort billowed up around the rear tire the instant before the slide, so I'm guessing he either hit a patch of oil, or the even less visible gravel, or he had some sort of brake lock up. However that's not an excuse for his bad riding habits.

wtf was up with that stupid skateboarding dog?

Okay, I thought that I was the only one to see a skateboarding dog!!! I was like WTF is everyone else seeing, I am NOT seeing motorcycles?? I thought the dog was cute and all...

Poor judgement in a tricky curve... As he comes into a downhill turn that has a degree of banking - he sets up in the corner ok - but the degree of bank comes back to almost 0 (flat) before the curve is complete and he apears to try to power out of the curve but has lost the bank and just simply over accelerated into the flat of the curve and lost the bank that tends to help keep the rear tire hooked up with the pavement. Would bet the tip of my pinky finger that the road is a s curve and turns back right immediately up the road. We called these s curves "flip flops" and in order to bank the road in the other direction quickly the road engineers need to flatten the road before the curve ends so they can construct a bank into the opposite curve. The lowside could of been assisted by gravel, oil, tapped/locked a brake and/or poor recovery skills but in the end -- just mis-judged his skills on a tricky mountainous road.

Last edited:
Looks like the road camber changes just past the end of the guard rail in the one clip. Goes flat or maybe slightly negative. Might be a spot where picking up the throttle is too much and snapping it shut is just as bad.

Hopefully, the camera man isn't out there early with a can of Pam before hand.

A cloud of some sort billowed up around the rear tire the instant before the slide, so I'm guessing he either hit a patch of oil, or the even less visible gravel, or he had some sort of brake lock up. However that's not an excuse for his bad riding habits.
tire smoke from absolutely lousy throttle control.. you do not roll on the throttle unless you are standing the bike up... as long as the bike is "leaned" over, you do NOT open the throttle.. as the bike stands up, the throttle comes up.. (unless you are a pro I suppose)

tire smoke from absolutely lousy throttle control.. you do not roll on the throttle unless you are standing the bike up... as long as the bike is "leaned" over, you do NOT open the throttle.. as the bike stands up, the throttle comes up.. (unless you are a pro I suppose)

thanks for the advice. how about braking? if you brake in a turn which one do you use, when, and how?

WARNING

If you watch the video, have good anti virus software, I think it has malware. My spybot software caught it trying to change the registry.

There is totally something on the road that is causing those tires to lose traction....

Bogus Mr Bogus, hey you still gonna be here tomorrow night? The boss had me cleaning the house after I mowed the grass. :banghead:

What??????????????????:banghead:

THe oil spill wasn't there prior to the bikes low-side. Watch it again.

thanks for the advice. how about braking? if you brake in a turn which one do you use, when, and how?

you should not brake in a curve/lean. Very dangerous, indicates you entered too hot and in the wrong gear. Too tall a gear and not able to bleed speed by backing off the throttle.
There is not a definitive answer to your question, there are many variables that have to be determined.
Are you out of lean? How wide is the road? Is it upgrade or downgrade? How much speed do you need to bleed off? Is it a left or right curve? What is the road surface friction coefficient? Good or bad? How much road do you have left if hard braking is required? Will minor rear brake or front brake get you through?
It is a difficult question to answer given the many situations and "what if's" that can be added. No "one" answer will apply to every situation.

Back