Why Bikes Are Restricted

Bikes restricted? Yes, I think they are, but not in the way you mean, Jamie. They're restricted because the engineers who designed these machines had to stick to EU/USA emission and noise legislation constraints. As a result of this, stock bikes are quiet and eco-friendly. Take the baffles and the cat's off the pipes, modify the air/fuel mix to 'unrestricted' the machine and suddenly you have more power. Why? Because there ARE restrictions built in. These are the same for every bike made today though, cars too (only for cars it's worse!). What you mean, and please correct me if you think I've got this wrong, is that the manufacturers deliberately make the machines less powerful/slower then they can for some other reason. BOLLOX!

I've no idea how much it cost Suzuki to develop the 'Busa or Kawasaki to get the '12 of the ground. I bet tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars would cover it. Do you honestly think that the managers would go to the designers and say; 'Hay guy's, lets build the worlds fastest, most powerful motorcycle. Let's spend an enormous amount of time/money/energy to create this great machine and then when you've finished.... let's completely f%£K the thing by restricting it, OK?'. Any 'voluntary' agreement to restrict top speed will be taken up by the motorcycle manufacturers for the same reasons as the car manufacturers. As and when the legislation regarding pollution and noise becomes so restrictive that it becomes financially impossible to develop a machine that will be both the fastest thing on the planet AND conform with these ever harder pollution targets.

On another of your points I must disagree also. I would have expected that having the world's fastest production motorcycle to fly about on would cost me in the insurance department, and yes I pay through the nose for the privilege. The fact that the machines will purportedly run in the region of 200mph doesn't bother the insurers one jot though, I promise. Any modern racing bike over 600cc will do way over 150mph. Do you honestly believe that stepping of the bike at 150mph or 200mph will show any discernible difference in the end result? No. I've been riding bikes for some years (longer then I care to remember) and I've seen countless accidents on the roads. Accidents where the biker was obviously at fault. Occasions where there is so much scrap iron in the road that it's impossible to tell what went wrong. Accidents (the majority) where the cage driver has so obviously taken out the soft-target, (the bike!) that the said drivers should have been taken to the side of the road and SHOT. I have never seen an accident that was the direct result of the driver doing 200mph down a restricted section of road though. Last month I had the unenviable task of renewing my insurance. I was a good boy and told them of all the MoD's I had done. Apart from the guy saying they would only offer the replacement cost of a std. pipe over the stainless & titanium Yoshi' pipe I'm carrying, they didn't care, why? Because the difference between a stock machine and the 170+ Bhp on the rear that mine does makes no difference to them at all. The only major contributing factors to the cost of the insurance is the desirability of the machine, which effects it's chances of getting lifted, and the reputation of the area you live in, which effects it's chances of getting lifted. Once you're past a certain amount of Bhp/speed, the extra bit of either really doesn't matter.

To finish off the longest post I've ever made, I have two final points to make. Firstly, why the hell are you comparing the ownership of firearms with the driving of fast motorcycles? Nobody ever drove out to a school and killed some kids with a motorbike on purpose. Get real pal. Secondly, this is a discussion board, not you private possession. Get a little less confrontational or get some therapy.

Jamie,

Ah, now that's better, I sense some tension drifting away again.

Like Ranger always says ... peace.

There's a lot of **** /nonsense turned into gospel on this board by a small number of people sometimes and it's indeed best ignored at times (or just yell/curse at your 'puter screen to vent, works great for me, but then I also do that because of my job in which I communicate via sort-of-Email with customers all day about things they think are errors in our software but are for the most part handling errors by them).

Tangram, I think that Jamie only used all the talk about SUPPOSED restrictions to indicate that he thinks some of us are asking for that indirectly because of our behaviour and at the start of this thread he never actually implied that bikes are already restricted at all, that's why he already reacted above with something like "read the title, it says WHY are they restricted". His only intention was venting some deep frustration about people asking for that and he probably had NO INTENTION AT ALL to light the fire about restrictions being in place already or not, that's why he got so PO-ed when the whole discussion turned into another one of those.

This whole thread is just another fine example of E-mail going wrong because people don't read properly or don't try to understand first what someone else is actually saying and only react directly to out-of-context parts.

Now can we please all get back to other threads again and CLOSE this one?

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 14 June 2000).]

Jamie,
I've been keeping up with the whole restriction thing since it was just a rumor. I too am pissed off about the concept of speed restriction for bikes. In fact, the only reason I bought my '00 Busa is for its historical significance as the fastest mass-produced motorcycle ever made. I know the issue of 2000 model bikes being restricted or not is an easy point of conjecture, but not the true subject of this thread. Suffice it to say I don't believe it has been satisfactorily proven that they are restricted by the Motorcyclist test you refer to (they evaluated the Y2K Busa without the tail cowl if I remember correctly, so a straight up comparison between '99 and '00 models can't be made based on power and top speed alone, since the drag coefficient may have been radically different between them). BTW, I do understand the physics of vehicle propulsion and aerodynamics and will gladly defend my arguments on a higher technical level if you require.

Regardless, we know the 2001 model bikes will be restricted. Personally, I believe your rage against squids who crash hyperbikes is misdirected. These bikes are not typically "beginner" bikes for anyone. Most people who buy these things are older, more experienced riders who appreciate what they can and cannot do well. Inexperienced riders will much more likely be crashing more affordable 600's and the like. In fact, I believe MCN had an article stating the majority of crashes recorded were for beginner riders on small (125cc) machines.

That said, I believe the rage you (and I) feel is better directed at society in general and its slow, but sure drift away from the concept of personal responsibility, strongly evidenced by the litigious nature of our own country; ironically founded by maverick individualists who made their own way in the land of FREEDOM. Is there a magical increase in the number of wrecks that occur above 186mph? Enough to distinguish them from wrecks occurring above 100mph? I doubt it. The number of 22mph that someone else has posted is probably a lot more accurate. No, the real problem is with society. As society grows to trust in bureaucracy to protect it and further away from accepting personal responsibility and holding individuals accountable for the stupid things they do, things like this will happen on a more routine basis. Instead of saying "Yes Mrs. Smith, we the jury agree Suzuki does owe you more money than your family could earn in five generations because your 18 year old son died on their fast motorcycle."... we should hear "Accidents happen, even to good riders, he accepted the risk when he straddled the bike, case closed!"

My $.02 (actually more like $1.50, Redelk would be proud)

[This message has been edited by BarryW. (edited 14 June 2000).]

Well put BarryW and Animal!

When jamie spoke about "why bikes are restricted" I too took it to mean that he thought that current ('00) bikes are restricted. More likely, he meant "why bikes ARE going to be restricted".

[My view, is that NO current bikes are restricted (other than in the sense of emissions, noise, etc), the variations of stats published in the mags from '99 to '00 are due to different testing conditions, riders, fittment (or not) of crucial aerodynamic components etc.)]

However, all this is academic. What is for sure is that bikes WILL be restricted in 2001, and possibly even more in 2002. I think that that is what Jamie was ranting against.

I think he is wrong to put the blame down to the attitude of "if I trash it I can claim on the insurance" mentality, I believe a lot of the blame for the call for speed restriction, is due to the views of a Dutch (female) Euro MEP, who called for a ban on the Hayabusa when it was launched.

I too am against any restriction of speed or power on Bikes. Suzuki have shown that a 175 (crank) HP bike CAN be safe in the right hands.

Incidentally, don't be taken in by MCN's comments on this issue, their editor openly supported a limit on maximum speed. I wrote a letter opposing this, contrasting present times to the early 80's, when a lot of UK mags said that the 99HP GSX1100 (the air cooled one), was too powerfull for the roads.

MCN never published my letter........

and yet Jamie where is your bike?
I do not question the pro rider but I question why this whole thread you have done nothing but quote mags.
Still no proof!
In you own admition of HP and weight you stated that the zx12 put out mmore Hp than the busa but the busa weighs more so by your thinking this is why the busa out ran the 12?
You can answer if you want but I least I don't quote mags

sounds to me that jamie just wants to bicker with anyone. there's a site perfect for that, and it's not this one.

The pipe was related to your asnine argument and your equally ridicules sources. Check my profile, I couldn't do drugs, even if I was stupid enough to.
Besides, how many times have you tryed taking the busa up to 200mph.
...and this one time at band camp, well my friend had this ZX12 and he couldn't go faster than me, and well he was restricted too.

don't the most mc deaths occurr at 22 mph?seems like we need to limit bikes to 20mph.problem solved?Or,I wonder what the effect,short&long term,would be, on sales,and safety stats, for required protective clothing,and a real riding coarse with the purchase of every bike,and a special coarse with the purchase of any hi performance machine,car or bike?WITH NO RESTRICTIONS!Ferrari and porcsche do not restrict their machines until 200mph(unspoken).Since when is a 12,or busa like a lexus,bmw,or benz?Lets get organized,and derestrict!!!!

There have been countless of other mag tests where the 00' Busa and 12 reached top speeds much higher than 184. We have seen 191, 193, 194 ....... The Motorcyclist test was performed at 2400 feet and has been the slowest I've seen. CycleWorld (and Sportbike Mag) hit 191 on their 00' Busa and flat out said it was NOT restricted. I have a lengthy list of similiar results. The fact that neither bike has repeated the same top speed when tested by countless publications proves there is no limiter set to restrict at any certain speed.

Motorcyclist also ran the slowest 1/4 mile speed LAST year of all US mags when they ran "only" 10.3 on the 99' Busa. Certainly we are all aware of the numerous test runs made now? 2001 may be aa different story according to reports but for 2000 here is a short list of results:

1. CYCLEWORLD [June 2000]

Top Speeds

------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 187 mph

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.86 sec @ 145.80 mph [Performed by CycleWorld magazine rider]
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.06 sec @ 142 mph [Performed by Ricky Gadson - Top Kawasaki Pro Drag racer]

2. PERFORMANCE BIKES [June 2000]

Top Speeds
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 190.3 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 188.9 mph

Quarter Mile
Suzuki GSX1300R 10.3s @ 143.9
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.4s @ 146.3

3. SPORTBIKE MAGAZINE [June 2000]

Top Speeds
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 187 mph

Quarter Mile
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.93 sec @ 143.4 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.04 sec @ 143.8 mph

4. MOTORCYCLIST MAGAZINE [June 2000]

Top Speeds
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 184.2 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 183 mph
[Elevation 2400 feet above sea level]

Quarter Mile
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.86 sec @ ~ 140.3 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 9.96 sec @ 142.3 mph
____________________________________________________________________________________
5. BIKENET Online http://www.bikenet-racing.com/

Top Speeds
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 196 mph [from 99' test?]
Kawasaki ZX-12R 194 mph

Quarter Mile - NA
______________________________________________________________________________________
6. BIKE MAGAZINE - UK [May 2000]

Top Speeds
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 189 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 180 mph

Quarter Mile
Suzuki GSX1300R 10.31 sec
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.04 sec

Top speed.
Hayabusa = 302 kph
Zx-12R = 297 kph

400m (1/4 mile).
Hayabusa = 10.5 sec.
Zx12R = 10.7 sec.

400m top speed.
Hayabusa = 228.2km/h.
Zx12R = 223km/h.

0-100km/h.
Hayabusa = 3.17 sec
Zx12R = 3.49 sec

0-160km/h (0-100mph).
Hayabusa = 5.7 sec.
Zx12 = 6.02 sec.

20-180kmh.
Hayabusa = 6.17 seconds
Zx12 = 6.43 seconds

Jamie,

You wonder how a bike with more power can be slower.

Lets list ways.
1) Different Temperatures
2) Differnt humidity
3) Different altitude
4) Power was measured using differnt dynos
5) A bigger rider (sticks out in the wind more)
6) Less Aerodynamic helmet
7) Wind
8) Rolling resitance

Something to ponder
-Dana

oh no--here we go again--another drawn out discussion on== are they restricted or not-- get over it---it is happening and we will see it because the manufacturer has stated it--

FIRST OF ALL SCROLL ALL OF YOUR EYES UP A FEW INCHES AND LOOK AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD. IT SAYS "WHY BIKES ARE RESTRICTED." It doesn't say do you think these bikes are limited. If you want to debate limited or not START YOUR OWN THREAD THIS ONE IS MINE!!!!

OK, in order.

Dead-on,
Good point.

Jonnycheese,
Dude stop posting to me. You're just keep digging yourself deeper. It's clear to me you don't know as much as you pretend to. By the way, who the F_U_C_K are you come to my thread and demand info from me. I gave evidence that to me shows the bikes to be limited. If that's not good enough for you, TOUGH S_H_I_T!
Here's how silly you sound, "In you own admition of HP and weight you stated that the zx12 put out mmore Hp than the busa but the busa weighs more so by your thinking this is why the busa out ran the 12?"

Let me break this down, first I said, weight has almost nothing to do with top speed. How did your brain reconfigure that to mean that a heavier bike will go faster? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen this time, Top speed has to do with aerodynamics and horsepower. If a bike has enough hp and aeros it will have a good top speed. Yes if the 12R makes more power than the Busa and has equal or better than the Busa aerodynamics it should have a higher top speed. So either A: It doesn't have more power B: It doesn't have better aeros or C: It is limited.

Oh and by the way, "In you own admition" means that I actually said that. I never said the 12R made more power than the Busa. When I typed out the 155hp=194mph ..... I meant that the 99 made 155hp and the 00 made 160hp.

Cheese go to some other thread and pretend to know what you're talking about. On this one you just look silly.

'lantabusa,
No, I don't want to bicker. I opened this thread to discus people who help raise our insurance rates, make it harder to get insurance for bikes like ours, make it harder for manufacures to make bikes like ours and make it harder to get bikes like ours in our countries (some day).

Its the rest of the people who wanted to argue limited or not. If you want to discus whether you think people who can't ride are screwing up our liter bikes then post again.

Cheese was the next one, brilliant as ever. Cheese keep it up.

00 Blue,
I think your judgement may be clouded by the fact you own a 2000. What do you think is ridiculous? That's the word you meant to use, ridicules is what happens to me when I post here. The other word you wanted was asinine, if you're gonna use 50 cent words to sound smart at least spell them right.

Anyhow, I don't want anyone telling me what I can't do. Heck, I think it's stupid we have a swear word filter on this site. As adults we should be able to decide. Look at the UK's Autobahn, drive at your own speed. That's how it should be. Who desides what's best for you? Do you want some 70year old guy in an office he'll never get out of until he dies telling you what is your limit? I don't. That's what this thread is about.

Mano,
I don't know what the real number for that is, but yeah I see your point. Thanks for helping the thread instead of attacking it.

Todd,
I won't argue these other numbers with you. I think you probably saw the show and my point is they both went the same +/- 1mph speed on that same day same gun same same same test. What does that mean? Does it mean that the other mags had slow ZX12s or fast Busas? You saw what I saw they go the same speed. Does that also mean that a 12R can go 191 like Cycleworld's Busa? I don't know what it all means. But one thing is for sure. Bikes will be limited in 01. Everyone can piss and moan about whether this years are or not but the fact is the 01s are. The sport is tainted.
BTW, Todd, don't quote magazines you'll upset Johnnycheese, he hates that.

Dana,
You're beginning to rank up there with Johnnycheese on the know it all in his mind scale. The test I made reference to was one where they tested the two bikes on the same day, same rider, same altitude, same leathers, same helmet, both directions, etc.

This isn't the first time you and I have talked on this site and everytime we do you always want to point out the obious to me and act like you thought of it. I know what affects top speed, but thanks maybe you'll get through to Johnniecheese.

Jamie

[This message has been edited by Jamie (edited 14 June 2000).]

OK lets see I have a bike that makes 175 hp lets say I have another bike that make 180hp
on any giving day one can be faster than the other HP is just a number it does not take in things like how tucked the rider is or does the rider have balls.It also does not take in the fact that the road could be better in one groove than the other.
I have said that the 2000 BUSA and the 2000 ZX12R are not as you want to say restictied.
If they are PROVE it not buy lame mag articles that write stuff so you will buy them,Prove it with facts that you can say that positivily the BUSA and the 12R are choked up and in your responce please list which one you own.Rememeber no mag quotes or they said.
If you can't than SHUT UP.
Sorry I have to be this way but I have never heard so mony cry babies when they are both bad A** bikes and most of the ones complaining can't even ride them to half of their potential.

Oh Jamie put the pipe down and pick up one of this months UK Bike mags. They say flat out that there are no limitations on any 2000 model. They also say that 2001 there will be.(they didn't seem to care for the Busa much)
I saw the Motorcyclyst Mags test on speedvision. Why are those numbers less than tested by any other mag? Then they jumped up with there restriction clames, and speedvision put in there disclamer stating that Motorcyclyst haddent contacted eather manufacture.
OK Jamie you can pick up your pipe again and belive what you want, but if it's not comming from a manufacture it's just what some guy thinks.

JohnnieCheese,

F_u_c_k off!

For a guy who thinks he's such a friggin know it all, you sure said something pretty stupid right there. Races are won or lost becasue of a 5hp difference. Kent was the rider of both Busas and the 12. The 12 and the Y2K Busa were tested on the same road on the same day with two radar guns. WHAT MORE WILL IT TAKE TO CONVINCE YOU? DOES GOD HIMSELF HAVE TO ROLL UP ON A CLOUD AND TELL YOU? IS THAT WHAT IT WOULD TAKE? You're in denial!

More Hp and the same areos equals more top speed.

Tucked, not tucked, it's fricken Kent Kinsu (whatever), the guy races at a higher level than anyone else on this board. They ran the 12R back and forth over and over and still got 183.

You all want to dispute that a 1200 could run with your 1300s or that it might even be able to beat it for top speed but you're all so willing to accept the 172mph top speed for the GSXR750. Huh, imagine that. I bet if the 172 came from any other brand of 750 you'd say that was wrong though.

We'll never know if the manufactures could best each other. Big brother's influence has just put a nail through or bobos.

Jamie

P.S. RE: using a bike to it's limits, any chimp can sit on these bikes and twist the throttle WFO. I hate to tell you it doesn't require any skill, hell, you could even do it.

00 blue,

You'd better hope the bikes are limited. If not then Suzuki dropped the ball. They made their flagship more powerful and slower at the same time.

Pipe? You must be making a drug reference. Sorry doper, I was saying that I want us all to have the ability to do whatever we want and see whatever we want. If you want to put **** into your body that, in my mind, is your god given right.
The only pipes I play with add power, not kill brain cells.

Jamie

Again Jamie you only read what you want I said Prove it thet did not prove it is resticited did it?
Power to weight could be a factor of why the 750 ran faster?
As for I am a know it all I have never denied it but I have a hard time understanding why everyone thinks the 2000 is limited.
To prove my point due to there are such idiots that believe mags I installed every electical compontent from a 2000 on a 99 and the other way around and guess what no differece the 1/4 mile was the same on both bikes and so was the top speed that we could run on them till the road ran out.
so what is your point Jamie which one do you have a resticited one?

Back