why are the teeth on my rear sprcket ALL gone!

tyrone

Registered
about 2 weeks ago i realized i was missing like a tooth or so on my rear sprocket.3 days ago i learned how to power wheelie. Since then i have been practicing them. I started hearing this clanking noise and i could feel it at my left foot. I looked at my sprocket today and ALL the teeth are freaking gone. I know the wheelies didnt help, but why was it missing teeth in the first place. I know i have to replace my chain and sprocket now but i just want a lil bit of knowledge as to how teeth break in the first place. And any reccomendations on what chain/sprocket to get. I race at the 1/4 mile track here in kassas alot. And i am a fan of corners. My bike is lowered 1.5 inches in the front and the back but i refuse to stretch it. It a 2003 anniversary burnt orange busa. 20k miles. got it used. i will continue to learn to hold wheelies. thanks guys

would think your being ham fisted too so that wont help.

oh and you will need new head race bearings soon too so factor that into you maintenance bill

enjoy lol

I would guess a cheap chain is the reason. Even aluminum sprockets will hold up well with a quality chain.

Power wheelies and aluminum rear sprocket = toothless. I have friends that do the same thing. I've never lost a tooth but have had the chain skip because the chain and sprockets were worn and I couldn't properly adjust the chain. Try a good chain and steel rear. Once you find a broke tooth it's time to order for sure.

ham fisted??

uk term lol sorry (getting the wheel up by dropping the clutch at high rpm ) rather than using weight transfer and the torque of the motor so you dont cause so much lash in the box chain etc and the clutch dont get worked so hard either .

as said your chain needs to be good and adjusted correctly .

busa wouldn't be my first choice as a stunt bike :laugh:

Tyrone, time to upgrade per your riding habits. Once you go SuperSprox, you'll never go back. Gold is most common, but we can now get them in red, black & some blue inner carriers. We can also now get them made custom if something is not in stock.

Let me know if you are ready to go, see if we can get something shipped out right away. Other members use Vortex - we carry those too.

You didn't say what chain you are using, but fellow members are quick to point out don't skimp on the chains. The good ones are not cheap. We sell RK to busa owners more than any other brand of chain.

img_1404_supersprox.jpg

I had the same problem before. Had a relatively new high quality chain when my ALUMINUN sprocket broke teeth. If you do a lot of drag racing you WILL break an aluminum sprocket. Prostreet bikes may use it but you can believe that they change it often. I went with supersprox and have had no further problems.

Supersprox is the way to go...

Alum in the centre, but steel teeth on the outter.
Go +1 or +2 on the rear and it will help get the front wheel up ALOT easier!!!

Enjoy

I had the same problem before. Had a relatively new high quality chain when my ALUMINUN sprocket broke teeth. If you do a lot of drag racing you WILL break an aluminum sprocket. Prostreet bikes may use it but you can believe that they change it often. I went with supersprox and have had no further problems.
Keep your chain adjusted and lubed and you are far less likely to break teeth. I've used Vortex for years and have sheared off a tooth here and there, but overall they do fine. I weigh 260 ish and have put hundreds of passes on Vortex aluminum sprockets.

When i take off normal on 1st i hear this clicking noise. sounds like its coming from chain...anyone have any suggestion of what it could be. I did stretch my busa like 6 inches. maybe just need a new chain.?????? any thoughts would be helpful thanks

Back