Why are super charged busas so rare

xXBusaKingXx

Registered
the busa is fast really fast but its not enough for everybody some people can just never get enough speed but i want to know why most the time when u see this is turbos?
Sure turbo can give u up 500 horse power or more but u never need that much and thare superchagers that can fork out some seriouse hp as well
so how come super charger are so rare amoung hayabusa or sports bikes in genral

You need to drive the supercharger with a belt...turbo is a lot easier to plumb.
Posted via Mobile Device

Biggest reason, likely complexity of the setup, and extra costs vs a turbo setup...

making a belt driven anything on a motorcycle inherently will just cost a little more..

and turbos are just a much more well known setup on the hayabusa at large...

However, the trade off is a very linear power response since the boost is tied to engine rpm, and usually a very nice bottom end/mid range torque...

They do however also suffer parasitic losses given they are driven by a belt, which means your efficency will be slightly lower, and likely top end at large lower than that of a turbo...

My experience thus far, is on the street superchargers are fun because they have that instant boost feel, which you feel every where down low so it feels like the bike just rips out of the hole... So from stop light to stop light, you feel like you fly...

Turbos are more like taking off in a jet airplane.... You hear the throttle up, and things start moving initially, but once they really get going, they just dont seem to stop... they just keep freight training along building up more steam, and the faster it goes the more it seems to have power, etc....

Just two WILDLY different feelings

i dont supose it would be even possible to have both lol it would be one of those things no one rides like the twin turbo busa lol

There's a VTR1000 in the Uk running a turbo AND a supercharger at the same time.

I remember seeing a Hill climb car in the UK running a small gas turbine / jet motor
to spool up the turbo's. (not sure that makes them still Turbo's ?)

One advantage the turbo has, is that it doesn't take anything away from the bike. It takes HP to drive a supercharger. From what I can see and I'm as far as you can get from an expert; the supercharger install is much easier, takes up a lot less room and probably weighs a little less. I don't know why but I've only seen them set up for 300 HP. Some of the pros might be able to explain that one.

Maybe Rotex did that because a stock motor should handle 300 :dunno:

I remember seeing an Acura Integra right around 2002 or 2003 that had both. They had the supercharger pushing 7 lbs and total boost set at 20 lbs. It was in a magazine and it said you got the instant hit and down low power of the supercharger and with no major lag from the turbo because you were already in boost. They said it was easier on the motor than running just the supercharger to 15 lbs because the gradual build of boost by the turbo. I want to say it was in Modified Magazine but not for sure.

another common thing i have seen, and i am no pro at all, is that the supercharger takes up a lot more room. Very difficult if not impossible to completely hide and look stock. You can mold plastic around it but anyone who knows thier bikes will know something is up. Rotex has a supercharger rated at more then 300 hp. They just havent finalized it for production. You are correct more mods are needed to run thier big charger. I myself am saving for a supercharger. I want that linear power and 300 hp is more then enough for the street riding and the occassional punk i need to beat down on a jix 1000 or a kawa 1400. just my 2 cents

another common thing i have seen, and i am no pro at all, is that the supercharger takes up a lot more room. Very difficult if not impossible to completely hide and look stock. You can mold plastic around it but anyone who knows thier bikes will know something is up. Rotex has a supercharger rated at more then 300 hp. They just havent finalized it for production. You are correct more mods are needed to run thier big charger. I myself am saving for a supercharger. I want that linear power and 300 hp is more then enough for the street riding and the occassional punk i need to beat down on a jix 1000 or a kawa 1400. just my 2 cents

I was speaking of actual physical size of the systems. Yes, the superchargers require the fairing to be cut. Neither system is transparent.

Yes you could run both, its called compound boost, and has been done since planes in WWII...

Problem with it is, your then heating the air twice, and that compounds as well..

In the instance of the busa, not sure why you would bother, either system is more than capable of maxing out a built busa engine....

If your having trouble spooling up a turbo, throw a small shot of nitrous into it, and you'll spool just fine...

On my setup the tts supercharger stops at 317hp because the capacity of the stock fuel pump has been maxed out, which i'll take care of before the summer. the average single stage turbo has roughly 250-265 hp, runs anywhere from 7 to 10 pounds of boost and is slightly less in cost then what i paid for the superchrger kit. my setup has the potential to do way more then what it's doing now but i did not want to go over the disign specs of the stock motor. with the blower putting out 18 pounds of boost the sky is the limit....... well almost. i just don't want to go too much higher without doing some serious engeine work. that probably will never happen being that theew ole lady is still pissed at the cost of this upgrade. right now it's a very special machine and i'll let the rest of you guys catch up!!!!!!! LOL

On my setup the tts supercharger stops at 317hp because the capacity of the stock fuel pump has been maxed out, which i'll take care of before the summer. the average single stage turbo has roughly 250-265 hp, runs anywhere from 7 to 10 pounds of boost and is slightly less in cost then what i paid for the superchrger kit. my setup has the potential to do way more then what it's doing now but i did not want to go over the disign specs of the stock motor. with the blower putting out 18 pounds of boost the sky is the limit....... well almost. i just don't want to go too much higher without doing some serious engeine work. that probably will never happen being that theew ole lady is still pissed at the cost of this upgrade. right now it's a very special machine and i'll let the rest of you guys catch up!!!!!!! LOL

Just a small adjustment to your statement ..

the average stg 1 turbo is running closer to 5(gen 2 with weak springs)-7(gen 1) lbs of boost seeing 250-270 hp... most wont go over 7lbs without running race gas and a spacer, or more...
10 lbs of boost would be about right at or around 300 rwhp ...

18psi would be pushing closer to 380+ rwhp on a turbo bike

of course, depending on setup of the engine compression etc...

Were running 350 whp with 18 psi on pump gas and 9:1 compression. more with race fuel. And much more with the C38 Rotrex, see my build. The reason that there are so few superchargers are that only Rotrex have a unit that is small enough and powerful enough to satisfy our needs. Where as the turbo kits are made by every body and their dog. So there are many more out there. With our latest drive train being all billet and tight into the chassis and up mounted air filter it looks pretty neat and I wouldn't want to hide it. I've run 8.06/186 on a bike not set up for good tracks running only a 1.46 60' so its not that we can't get the power.

Were running 350 whp with 18 psi on pump gas and 9:1 compression. more with race fuel. And much more with the C38 Rotrex, see my build. The reason that there are so few superchargers are that only Rotrex have a unit that is small enough and powerful enough to satisfy our needs. Where as the turbo kits are made by every body and their dog. So there are many more out there. With our latest drive train being all billet and tight into the chassis and up mounted air filter it looks pretty neat and I wouldn't want to hide it. I've run 8.06/186 on a bike not set up for good tracks running only a 1.46 60' so its not that we can't get the power.

Procharger certainly has units small enough for a motorcycle too...

nothing fabbed up though im quite certain (unless you ride a harley)...

i dont supose it would be even possible to have both lol it would be one of those things no one rides like the twin turbo busa lol

Actually in drag racing the supercharged/turbo-ed bikes have been outlawed because they were so potent. just a little bit of history..Chase Knight piloted this guy right up to the point of being outlawed..

167915_10150168107294832_308126169831_8448838_2078998_n.jpg

for a sense of how far we have come since the golden gator..

it ran 6.70's at 200mph...

we now can get a hayabusa from the show room, and with minimal (compared to the golden gator) effort, replicate that type of run...

We ride the backs of giants my friends.... the backs of GIANTS

the supercharger kit came very late into the market. Also, there only being produced over in the UK.

The turbo kit has been around for what I remember at least since 2000. It was brutal at first because they were only being produced over seas and couldn't keep up with demand. There was mr Turbo but they've always been on the very low end of kits.
I have to give velocity credit for really pushing the drag race turbo kits. RCC brought the turbo kit to the street guys. The quality of the kits and tech support brought the turbo kit to a whole new level. The supercharger kit has alot of work to try and catchup.

At the extreme levels you just can't compare the supercharger vs. the turbo on a Hayabusa.

Back