Who's the graphics guru out there

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Someone explain this to me.... I have changed everyone that is the donating member group to have avatars that are 96 x 96 but not all of them shop up changed on the board... I think that the JPEG images cannot be stretched and animated GIfs can only be the size they were created too... Can anyone out there confirm or deny this...

Cap

HTML will stretch both formats to the height and width image sizes provided in the tag.

could it be a caching issue? I was going to write that my avatar didn't change - I changed it yesterday but it didn't show up immediately. I just checked it now, and it _is_ 96x96.

My avatar is linked to my server, however. Could it be that _uploaded_ avatars automatically get scaled to 64x64?

There doesn't seem to be any CSS styles applied to the images, so I don't think its that....

There is a preset size of 64 x 64 on the board and I have the ability to over ride that to whatever I want... I changed yours tonight so that is why you noticed the difference.
tounge.gif
I have narrowed it mainly down t0 jpeg and animated gifs

I think it doesn't work with uploaded avatars. (Does the server resize any uploaded image to 64 x 64 to preserve space and prevent resizing during page builds?)

I uploaded a 96 x 96 version of my avatar in GIF and JPEG format, and the board displayed them as 64 x 64.

If I link to my servers for the avatar, both the GIF and the JPEG show up correctly.....

Thats the kind of stuff I need to know... The board doesnt necessarily resize them but it crunches or stretches the image to whatever I decide. I can set a board default, and I can manually change the avatar permissions on a per user administrative page.... That was good info thanks.

CAp

Cool, I was wondering why, I was still at 64X64... I'll try uploading again...

Umm, Still at 64X64.... Just whenever you get a chance Cap...
thumbs-up.gif
Oh and I don't mind being a Stealth Moderator, but it might help the occasional Newbie with a question if my Group was still Moderators, or Maybe "Donated Moderator"... Heh, I was a freebie...
smile.gif

I'm willing to bet there's some code regarding uploading thats doing this. Otherwise, folks could upload massive avatars, forcing the server to resize on the fly, slowing things to a crawl.....

It resizes the viewable image here true, however it doesnt explain why I can change the sizes on some images and others I cant.

my previous post is incorrect. The server isn't resizing upon upload, since there are avatars that are well above the size limit. The system is resizing on the fly....

im a bit stumped from here....

Captain, just make members upload their own SIZED Avatars even the largest boards out there have prerquisites that the files and sizes be a certain size. There's enough of us graphic techies that will help out. BTW Did you change the front SWF today it has red on it?

Roy

Roy

Mines a 64 still to Doug
Funny thing is I loaded it at 96 but didn't work....no big deal!!

<!--EDIT|monsterspeedfreak
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106377121 -->

Back