who's running 24V starting?

johnnycrash

Donating Member
Registered
Those of you running 24 V starting, where are you putting the second battery? I saw the Tiger tray but it doesn't look like it will work with an MH undertail, and my fuel pump is mounted there already anyway. Since the second battery looks pretty small, I was wondering if anyone had come up with a creative place to put it.

Thanks

What advantage does 24v starting circuit have to offset the extra weight of a second battery?

Blue1

Even with a stock engine the oem starter system is pretty weak in torque-- if the battery is not fully charged
the enginge can kick back backwards and even break the engine block itself-- ask Jester from texas trailerd all the way to Monteray ---..so with a high compression engine --24 volts gets the engine turning much faster upon start up lessening the chance of kickback... then the 24 volt is switched off once the engine is running...

Even with a stock engine the oem starter system is pretty weak in torque-- if the battery is not fully charged
the enginge can kick back backwards and even break the engine block itself-- ask Jester from texas trailerd all the way to Monteray ---..so with a high compression engine --24 volts gets the engine turning much faster upon start up lessening the chance of kickback... then the 24 volt  is switched off once the engine is running...
wowold.gif
Now that would be a horror story (broken block).

I am definitely going 24v, I just need to find a place for that extra battery other than where the Tiger/Schnitz kit puts it.

I've had it stuck all the way in the back of the tail behing the rear brake light.
With the MH tail you can squeeze two in the same batt tray area.
Gatling has replacements bones that are built to mount a second battery down low.
There a tray you can use in front of your gauge cluster too but it requires hacking the headlight.
Some people have even insulated a small batt try and just stuck it above the trans.

Thanks for the ideas, Commuta - was hoping you'd chime in.

Someone PMed me this thread off SH - thinking about doing mine like this if it will clear my aftermarket fuel system.

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=121490.0

Edit: wow! don't bother reading past page two of that thread - it goes way downhill after that point.

Right now it does start with a fresh ytz14, but I'm afraid as that battery starts to get tired I'll start to have problems, plus if it did kick back and break something I'd be pretty upset.  Gotta figure something out soon.

If a fresh YTZ14 is working, put a new on in it every year. Sell the old one to someone who doesn't need that much power. My brother has my last years battery in his Honda Interceptor.

johnycrash - sorry I can't see the pics from the SH.org post. I'll check 'em out when I'm at home. If you've got a TMH undertail then you can fit two in the stock location for sure. I use a YTX5L-BS as the secondary battery. I'll post pics from home tonight.
beerchug.gif

Professor, it works but JUST barely - it's definitely right on the edge. You have crack open the throttle or it will barely turn over. (13:1 1397) I also now have a fuel pump that sounds like it's off of a full size truck - that might be drawing a little extra current as well.

I hear stories about the starter kicking back and breaking stuff so I get nervous - that's the main impetus behind this upgrage.

Plus I'm always looking for more crap to add to my bike
rock.gif

johnycrash - sorry I can't see the pics from the SH.org post. I'll check 'em out when I'm at home. If you've got a TMH undertail then you can fit two in the stock location for sure. I use a  YTX5L-BS as the secondary battery. I'll post pics from home tonight.  
beerchug.gif
I do have a MH undertail so that sounds like the best option. That will give me the excuse to clean up the bowl-of-spaghetti wiring I have jammed in there now.
sadnews.gif

If you think of it definitely post up some pics.
thumb_up.gif

Professor, it works but JUST barely - it's definitely right on the edge.  You have crack open the throttle or it will barely turn over.  (13:1 1397)  I also now have a fuel pump that sounds like it's off of a full size truck - that might be drawing a little extra current as well.

I hear stories about the starter kicking back and breaking stuff so I get nervous - that's the main impetus behind this upgrage.

Plus I'm always looking for more crap to add to my bike
rock.gif
To my knowledge the kickback horror stories are limited to the 99-02 models.

That said, it sounds like yours is a candidate for 2 batteries.

Schnitz just came out with a pretty neat harness and switch to allow the secondary battery to recharge.

I'm glad mine hot starts with one. We'll see how the battery holds up during the year.

Yeah I thought it was ironic that I just got my bike home last night with the new motor, and was worried about how hard it was starting. Then today I get to work and there's an email from Schnitz about their new 24V starting harness. It's fate!

A_PA231618.jpg

this was a temp setup I had where I just stuffed it into the tail...

P1082239.jpg

this is with TMH tail you can fit 'em there

P1082238.jpg

another

Commuta, thanks a million for the pics.
thumb_up.gif
  I'm definitely setting mine up like that - good thing I already have the MH tail.  

99, it runs fine on good pump gas.  I'm also going to get the ignition module and pull some timing before I spray - and when I spray I'll definitely also mix in a little C-12 since I always have that laying around.  This case saver: you're not talking about a billet sprocket cover are ya?  Got any pics if not?

Thanks for all the replies guys - it's been a huge help
beerchug.gif

So cool about the harness sys that can charge both batt's....mine is an 01 and kicked back quite abit before i put a new battery in it.

Back