Whos done a Ecu flash ?

So im thinking about this as well, bike is stock.. im off to the UK next month and im considering taking mine with me to get flashed at a reputable shop.
Big CC ?

Why the hell didnt i bring it with me while i was stateside in 14 and send it up to Frank or ask sixpack777 nicely :banghead:

Bit worried about ECU getting fried going thru x ray machines or is that bollocks ? :dunno:

I think this is the most overcharged-for service I've ever seen in motorcycling. You can buy the whole thing and do it yourself for around $200USD from BoostbySmith, but places are charging $100-$200 for a 30-second flash? They make all of their money back in two flashes? I figured someone would come and undercut everyone else by now and charge $20-$30 or something, but I haven't seen that yet. You could push so much more volume at a lower rate because literally everyone would get a flash for $20-$30. It's baffling. I've thought this for years.

Reactions: Zee
We charge org members $50 for this service, and it takes longer than 30 seconds to do. We don't flash the same bin file into every ecu, each application is different and requires a different flash in most cases. And you can always buy Greg's setup and do those $20 flashes yourself . . . see how long it takes for you to become a millionaire!

I think $50 is a fair price, especially since your flash looks like it took some time to develop and provides some real gains. I think that $100-$180 (like I've seen around) is unreasonable. I didn't see a price on your website, which I checked before I posted.

When you consider that other ecus - like CBR1000RRs, for instance - get flashed for $449, then $100-$125 or so isn't so unreasonable for the regular joe schmoe off the street. There is some R&D that goes into everything, and that is what you pay for. A motorcycle technician - not unlike a physician - has some years of experience, knowledge and training - that goes into what he does. The days of $25/hour for labor are over. When you have a shop, you pay rent, insurance, utilities, etc. You are not working out of your Mom's garage anymore. It's called overhead, and sometimes I feel like I am supporting my landlord and the rest of the schmucks that have their hands in my business! The next time your doctor wants $200 for something that took him about 5 minutes to do, think about it . . .

Oh yeah. Trust me, I understand overhead--I've owned businesses and paid all these expenses. My main point was that this is a service that doesn't really require a shop, so I'm surprised some guy hasn't just created an LLC and started flashing ECUs out of a spare bedroom, undercutting all the shops that have that higher overhead. Then the price overall would come down based on market forces. Even in that situation, $50 is reasonable and you'd be getting a flash from a reputable source.

By way of analogy, service to mount and balance a tire is $30-$50ea for a consumer. If you told me I could buy the whole pneumatic tire machine and digital balancer for $100 I would just do that. But it's so far out of the price range ($1,000-$4,000) to buy it that it's worth it to pay someone else to do it. I see the flash as the same. (Though not at $50, as I've discussed.)

Last edited:
I you live close to me I could flash your ECU for nothing lol takes about 2 min to do it , take off top speed limit , raise you rpm , make it hard cut only , set up a air shifter with cut time , plus a few other things

Power house did my brothers , and I Hayabusa's . We are both very happy with the results . The one down side if your like me , and can ride both full out or just
cruise I no longer manage 52 mpg on back road riding ( 44 mpg is the best now for the last 1000 miles ) that was riding same place / way as 52 mpg runs
Bike use to manage 42 mpg riding more aggressive . No runs 38 mpg riding aggressive with several 175 mph plus runs

Power house did my brothers , and I Hayabusa's . We are both very happy with the results . The one down side if your like me , and can ride both full out or just
cruise I no longer manage 52 mpg on back road riding ( 44 mpg is the best now for the last 1000 miles ) that was riding same place / way as 52 mpg runs
Bike use to manage 42 mpg riding more aggressive . No runs 38 mpg riding aggressive with several 175 mph plus runs

Good to know this , :thumbsup:

Since I am adamant about not making any changes to the fuel mapping tables when I flash an ecu, this comes as a surprise. I would not think that optimizing timing and eliminating timing retard would have that effect and cannot at this time think of any other change that could cause this. Is it possible that your riding style is the cause? Maybe the improved throttle response has resulted in a "happy" throttle? Even though you did say you like the flashed ecu better, everyone should know that if - and this has never happened - anyone is unhappy with a flash that we do, I will reflash that customer's ecu back to stock at no charge . . .

Good morning ! I'm real good about controlling throttle , and the first few tanks @ 38 mpg were more on the fun lvl . Now I did fail to mention one KEY
that could affect MPG's . Been riding two up with my 15 year old soon who is 4'10" @ 100 pounds , and I am 5 ' 1" @ 137 . Very possible the increased wind drag
( not so much weight ) may of caused the decrease . I will do a 300 mile ride this coming Sunday , and report back after solo ride .

I also for reference want to say a place I noticed improvement . I'm geared 19/43 fyi after the flash the bike carrys a wheelie 1,2 through 3rd with much less throttle . Before it came up fine , but didnt carry as well unless much more throttle was used . It was nice to use less throttle , and not have to elevate the front wheel as high .

My brother , and I do plan on letting powerhouse dyno tune both bikes .

So im thinking about this as well, bike is stock.. im off to the UK next month and im considering taking mine with me to get flashed at a reputable shop.
Big CC ?

Why the hell didnt i bring it with me while i was stateside in 14 and send it up to Frank or ask sixpack777 nicely :banghead:

Bit worried about ECU getting fried going thru x ray machines or is that bollocks ? :dunno:

I would've done it, and still will. But I'm sure shipping cost and time would be awful.
I've flashed close to 30 of them in the last 4 years, most were org freebies, the rest were local freebies.
And I'm not undercutting anyone's business, because when I bought the flasher and bench flasher from Smith, it was still another year or more before anyone offered gen2 Busa ecu flashing at all here. Otherwise I could've just sent my ecu's and been done with it.
No, it isn't hard to do, click a few buttons(I never touch the air/fuel), wait 4 1/2 minutes for the flash, and it's done.
I also don't think $50 is unreasonable for a shop to charge. I work out of my garage and am not an official business, so I have no overhead to support.:beerchug:

hi which shop are you talking about im in chch and looking to do a reflash
Hey macka,

Hmm was a while ago and i cant be sure now, im about to send my Tenere ECU up to TripleZee in AK for a flash perhaps give John there a holla.

Apologies for not remembering or recommending you,

macka and i are in the South Island of New Zealand , its not always practical to send stuff up your way alto he may be keen to buy a kit from you.
Ah no worries :) Shipping wouldn't be cheap for just flashing, which I don't really do anyway. I just like to supply equipment to do it on your own :) Take care,
Greg

Back