Whoops !!!.........

delboy

God save the Queen.......
Donating Member
Registered
At about 10 p.m. local time on May 8, 2006, a 7th Bomb Wing B-1B Lancer based at Dyess AFB, Texas, made a wheels-up belly landing on runway 31 at Diego Garcia, skidding 7,500 feet down the runway. The aircraft was landing at the end of an 11 hour ferry mission that started at Andersen AFB, Guam. During the landing, the B-1B caught fire and emergency crews extinguished the flames. The four-person aircrew escaped from the plane through the overhead escape hatch. The aircraft was finally removed from the runway 4 days later. The Air Force Accident Investigation concluded the pilots forgot to lower the landing gear. The USAF estimated the damage to the B-1B at $7.9 million, and the damage to the runway at $14,025. RBRM and those old SEABEES made one tough runway, that's for sure! For those of you who've never seen a $285,000,000.00 bomber on the deck, here she is:

b_1b.JPG

funny thing about this story is that the crew didnt even know anything was wrong until after they stopped. They tried to use the ladder to get out of the plane ( it comes out of the belly) and realized after it only dropped about 1 foot that they had a real big problem. There were so many bad things that happend on that flight from the copilot who didnt have the medical clearance to fly and the commander that told him he was; to the pilot who for some reason with no warning gave control of the plane over to the copilot during the landing sequence and between them had several misscommunitations. Very unfortunate accident but thank god nobody was seriously injured!

(Sloto200 @ Dec. 06 2006,03:05) funny thing about this story is that the crew didnt even know anything was wrong until after they stopped.  They tried to use the ladder to get out of the plane ( it comes out of the belly) and realized after it only dropped about 1 foot that they had a real big problem.  There were so many bad things that happend on that flight from the copilot who didnt have the medical clearance to fly and the commander that told him he was; to the pilot who for some reason with no warning gave control of the plane over to the copilot during the landing sequence and between them had several misscommunitations.  Very unfortunate accident but thank god nobody was seriously injured!
WTF Didn't get injured
firedevil.gif
Not in the crash but the morons need to be shot by a rusty AK IMO
guns.gif

I'm sure they're on the way out.  If you've been in for a while your bound to see a couple.

I've seen
C130 crash into a lake.  Pilot error

C130 collide with a A10 (both landed ok).  Tower error

F16 crash into a C141 on approach.  C141 was parked on R-Row @ pope.  Tower error

C130 crash at a drop zone.  Pilot error

A10 landing gear collapse

C5 belly landing @ Rhien Main Germany

Holy crap! One would think that with a $285,000,000 price tag, the thing would have a bunch of warning lights and buzzers when it hit full flaps without a leg in sight.
SHOCKED.gif

Are we using duct tape to repair our aircraft these days?

(Un-Caged @ Dec. 06 2006,08:03) Holy crap! One would think that with a $285,000,000 price tag, the thing would have a bunch of warning lights and buzzers when it hit full flaps without a leg in sight.  
SHOCKED.gif
There are... there is a big red light telling them that the gear wasnt down. It didnt get noticed because they were initially coming in for landing and were delayed because of a ground emergency. They were told to circle the base until the ground emergency could be cleared. I believe it was 20 to 30 mins later it was and they were cleared to land. During that time the aircraft systems were alerting the crew that they were to low and that they needed to put their gear down. They were not going to fly for 20 to 30 mins with the gear down so they turned off the alarm ( there is a audible alarm and the red light as well as landing gear indicators). When they were finally cleared for landing the pilot and the copilot each assumed the gear had been put down (nobody checked the indicators or noticed the red light on) and in fact it wasnt and you know the rest...

Thats the short as sweet version of the story...

I've seen

F16 crash into a C141 on approach.  C141 was parked on R-Row @ pope.  Tower error

C5 belly landing @ Rhien Main Germany[/quote]

ok...note to self...don't fly when rockadaous is around
poke.gif

laugh.gif

(rockadaous @ Dec. 06 2006,04:36) F16 crash into a C141 on approach.  C141 was parked on R-Row @ pope.  Tower error
Maybe its beause I'm a tower controller
wink.gif

But how is it Tower's error when a F16 crashes into a plane in a tie down area??
rock.gif
I'm assuming a R-Row is a tie down area...

(jessup @ Dec. 06 2006,10:41) Are we using duct tape to repair our aircraft these days?
I was about to ask the same question. Don't worry though, it's $4,000,000 Duct Tape...

(Charlesbusa @ Dec. 06 2006,12:38)
(rockadaous @ Dec. 06 2006,04:36) F16 crash into a C141 on approach.  C141 was parked on R-Row @ pope.  Tower error
Maybe its beause I'm a tower controller  
wink.gif

But how is it Tower's error when a F16 crashes into a plane in a tie down area??  
rock.gif
 I'm assuming a R-Row is a tie down area...
it was said

both (C130-F16) planes were cleared for landing same runway. one was in a left turn and the other in a right. Bellies toward each other. the F-16 was doing touch and goes with after burner. they collided and the F-16 pilots ejected the plane bounced off the ramp and hit a C141 parked on R-row. the C130 circled and landed. It happened quit a few years ago. let me see if I can find the article.

(semi @ Dec. 06 2006,11:14) I've seen

C5 belly landing @ Rhien Main Germany

ok...note to self...don't fly when rockadaous is around
poke.gif

laugh.gif
[/Quote]
laugh.gif
It wasn't me I promise LOL
If you in maintenance and a plane goes down you are now crash and recovery. We have a crash and recovery, but we all go if it's big. tag'n parts and looking for parts (airpland and body)

laugh.gif

Back