Whoa or Go?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
After watching this thread "What percent of riders have been 150 mph" grow in the number of hits and "GO" posts, I placed this thread up "Who knows the stopping distance from 150mph" to see if there may be equal interest in "Whoa" from high speed.

The results at this time seems to be:

GO - 9,850 hits with 290 replies
Whoa - 1,757 hits with 96 replies

So it appears the numbers are quite high on members who test the throttle while the same members are reluctant to test the brakes at the same speeds. Anyone want to take a shot as to WHY the lopsided numbers?

Effective braking is a learned skill and it takes practice, lots of practice on a regular basis! :beerchug:

I've been 150 mph+... err... three times at an airfield in 13 years of bike ownership...

This thread is completely pointless...

It is an unequal comparison. You should be comparing "Who knows the stopping distance from 150mph" to "Who knows the distance from X speed to 150 mph". Few people know the stopping distance, and few would know the distance from highway speeds to 150.

Alternatively, you could compare "What percent of riders have been 150 mph" to "What percentage of riders have stopped really fast from 150 mph". I do both all the time.

Cue some of the Busa community going out to try it... lets hope no one gets hurt

Steve, what about the period of time that each has been up along with many other variance. I would say that there's a lot more go than whoa without either thread.

Steve, what about the period of time that each has been up along with many other variance. I would say that there's a lot more go than whoa without either thread.

Here is the difference Robert. It takes no skills to twist the throttle against the stop and hang on. It just takes fuzz on your balls. It takes a great deal of skill to get the best from your brakes. Fear of the front brake is difficult for the average rider to overcome. I have yet to see a street rider show up for his first day at the track with so much as moderate skills on the brakes. It's not something the average Joe gives much thought to until they need it and don't have it!

Agree, at the track on the first full chance to go fast most pin it and hang on. The next is to either run off or more likely start braking way to soon and coast into the turn

What I thought was neat when I got above 150mph was how smooth and less buffeting there was. I went from the wind trying to lift me off the bike to being pushed down on the tank. It's something I will not forget.

In the comparision, think about how many people are interested in going fast. The hunger to go 150 mph+ overwhelms the mind and the ability to apply the brakes won't come into play until they don't work. It's simply, more people naturally want to know how fast they can go and can care less about stopping. I haven't gone that on a motorcycle, but it's a matter of time since I'll be moving to Germany at the beginning of the year. So far I have gone 187 mph in a car on the autobahn.

Nah, it just sounds cooler to say I hit 150 mph. Using my brakes not so much !!

What's that dude from "Gas Monkey" say, "Brakes are for quiters !!" :laugh:

A little food for thought:

There are not many crashes where braking was not a factor. How often do we read of a motorcycle fatality where the Highway Patrol writes "Speed was a factor"? Another one is "The motorcycle failed to negotiate a curve". If every motorcyclist had exceptional braking skills, what effect would that have on the annual death toll in the USA? My guess is we could reduce the number of crashes as well as fatalities by practicing one simple task "Braking"!

I usually take a ride up Windy Ridge to the view point at Mt. St. Helens late in the season every year. It never ceases to amaze me at the "Tire Snakes" I see along the last 16 miles of that trip. The road is similar to The Dragon, one corner after the other with few places to safely pass. The tire snakes at the entrance of corners tells a story of some poor bloke who locked the rear tire and "Failed to negotiate a corner". Every tire snake also makes a statement "This rider had poor braking skills"!

Nick Ienatsch says it best in his book "Sportbike Riding Techniques". If you enjoy triple digits on your Sunday rides, you best learn to brake from triple digits!

Below is a great example of a "Low Braking Skills Rider"! Watch the right foot of the rider as the brake light comes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rear Brake all the way...you could see it from the previous turn.

Of, course, I can't really say anything about taking a hand off the bar to make a signal motion, at the wrong place and time lately... :)

P.S. I HATE TAR SNAKES!

How did he do that? <-------(They need to create a sarcasm font) It didnt look like he was going that fast so there would be no need to press on the brake hard enough to lock the rear lol. Looks like your typical "show off for the crowd then eat it hard" moment.

One thread is more than two years old and the other is only two months old yet you compare numbers?
Do3 even pointed that out and you totally ignored it with more of your own opinions?

And in the end EVERYONE that has gone 150 has had to stop because if that wasn't true we'd all still be going. :laugh:

Blanca, I think you missed the point of the entire thread.

Maybe next time, eh? :dunno:

Your words:

So it appears the numbers are quite high on members who test the throttle while the same members are reluctant to test the brakes at the same speeds. Anyone want to take a shot as to WHY the lopsided numbers?

You're implying many more go than whoa but still fail to acknowledge the age difference in the threads. None are reluctant.
'Anyone want to take a shot as to why the lopsided numbers?'
YES. The threads are ages apart.

Percent of 150mph riders started 3/10 or almost 44 months ago and has 254 responses.
So that's 5.77 responses a month.

Your thread started 10/13 and has 96 responses in its first month. Good grief apply that percentage to 44 months and your thread will have over 4,000 responses. That's a whole lotta more whoa than go dontcha know? :laugh:

A little food for thought:

There are not many crashes where braking was not a factor. How often do we read of a motorcycle fatality where the Highway Patrol writes "Speed was a factor"? Another one is "The motorcycle failed to negotiate a curve". If every motorcyclist had exceptional braking skills, what effect would that have on the annual death toll in the USA? My guess is we could reduce the number of crashes as well as fatalities by practicing one simple task "Braking"!

I usually take a ride up Windy Ridge to the view point at Mt. St. Helens late in the season every year. It never ceases to amaze me at the "Tire Snakes" I see along the last 16 miles of that trip. The road is similar to The Dragon, one corner after the other with few places to safely pass. The tire snakes at the entrance of corners tells a story of some poor bloke who locked the rear tire and "Failed to negotiate a corner". Every tire snake also makes a statement "This rider had poor braking skills"!

Nick Ienatsch says it best in his book "Sportbike Riding Techniques". If you enjoy triple digits on your Sunday rides, you best learn to brake from triple digits!

Below is a great example of a "Low Braking Skills Rider"! Watch the right foot of the rider as the brake light comes on.

i learned a lot from that book. must of read it at least 3 times.:beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Percent of 150mph riders started 3/10 or almost 44 months ago and has 254 responses.
So that's 5.77 responses a month.

Your thread started 10/13 and has 96 responses in its first month. Good grief apply that percentage to 44 months and your thread will have over 4,000 responses. That's a whole lotta more whoa than go dontcha know? :laugh:

Yes Blanca, we understand you can add and subtract. Coffee has caffeine, go have yourself a cup and maybe you'll catch onto the GD point, eh? Jesus Christ, it's like trying to heard cats on this place sometimes!

Back