Who uses a straight razor to shave?

I Love My Wife

Registered
Is it closer than a safety razor, or is it just kewl?

Been thinking of going that route (I shave my head as well as my face), because it seems as though it's closer/smoother.

And now…discuss…

Occasionally I pay a barber to shave me with the straight razor, only because I'm sure I would cut myself. It is a talent I don't have.

I didn't find it closer than a disposable razor. It is a learned skill that's fun to do. Sharpening and stropping the blades takes a fair amount of practice. Shaving your whole head with a straight razor would be REALLY hard. You have to take your time, and use a hot towel on your face you just can't slap on some canned foam drag a razor over your face haphazardly and head out the door to work.

This is impressive!!!

cheers
ken

Telly Sevallas said once you're used to it it's no different than combing your hair in the morning. I've always wanted to learn or at least try it. Shaving is pretty hard on my face but when the barber hits the back of my neck after a haircut it's great.

A couple times a week. I like the straight razor. The look my kids gave me. I like going to second hand stores looking for old straight razors. Closer? Different, a skill with an expensive tool that can slip tour face or head open. Busa is a straight razor, do you need "it" to ride a bike? Straight Razors are cool and most have no clue as to how to shave with one.

wow that would be kinda hard to shave your head with a straight razor, I clean shave my head but with a regular 3-4 blade razor.

Oh hell no, would you really want to have one of those around and have your wife pissed at you? She probably can't hurt me with a Gillette Pro Glide :)

A true art and test of skill! It's a long ritual like process to do it properly and safely. Tried it for a while and still do it once a month to keep up to speed & pay homage to my late grandfather. It requires time/practice and patience. Check out this link:

http://www.bmvintageshaving.com/

It can be very expensive also!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

sorry i dont use one have you seen the damage those do in horror movies, uh uh no way

no need for a straight razor. waste of time and money. place ur disposable razor is baby oil when ur not using it and even when u are using it. it will be much smoother on ur face then shaving cream and if u soak the blade in baby oil when not using it the blades will not oxidize or rust which of course dulls ur blade. dry it off first then place in baby oil.

I have a friend who works at Schick in Milford Connecticut. he told me that if u do that ur disposable blade will last 10x as long. he was right. I change my blade like every 2 months now. freakn blades are such a rip off.

Back