Who Rode Today?

I mentioned in my previous post that I only rode about 30 miles and needed to stay on task well my task today included fighting my leaves today thought I’d take a pic with the bike to kinda give scale to the size of my pile, there are several other piles not pictured. Pick the house with all the trees I said smh

C3651B65-4EE7-46B7-9BB3-2277501C4B9E.jpeg

I went on a 230km ride with a local bike club, about 60 bike showed up.
Within 50kms one guy on a VTR1000 honda crashed, locked up his front end from panic braking, bounced off a bike that he was following (to closely!) and went down, opening up the RH clutch cover and radiator spewing oil and coolant all over the road!
Thankfully I was way up the front of the pack at the time.
Here's some pics . . .

The big white Indian is the Prez of the club's bike.
He was the leader . . . until a couple of Suzukis went past him and disappeared into the distance, you've seen the Starship Enterprise engage warp drive?
Yeah, well that was us today lol.

Nice late model Buell with Rotax power.

Below is the Terrace Downs resort, at the foot of the Alps and positioned on a terrace above the mighty Waimak river bed.

Below is the view from the verandah of the restaurant part of the complex.

Another angle of the view . . very nice overlooking the Golf course

Below is the deck we had lunch on.

Here's the crashed VTR . . seen better days . .

I went on a 230km ride with a local bike club, about 60 bike showed up.
Within 50kms one guy on a VTR1000 honda crashed, locked up his front end from panic braking, bounced off a bike that he was following (to closely!) and went down, opening up the RH clutch cover and radiator spewing oil and coolant all over the road!
Thankfully I was way up the front of the pack at the time.
Here's some pics . . .
View attachment 1609407
The big white Indian is the Prez of the club's bike.
He was the leader . . . until a couple of Suzukis went past him and disappeared into the distance, you've seen the Starship Enterprise engage warp drive?
Yeah, well that was us today lol.
View attachment 1609408

View attachment 1609409
Nice late model Buell with Rotax power.
View attachment 1609410
Below is the Terrace Downs resort, at the foot of the Alps and positioned on a terrace above the mighty Waimak river bed.
View attachment 1609411

View attachment 1609412

View attachment 1609413
Below is the view from the verandah of the restaurant part of the complex.
View attachment 1609414
Another angle of the view . . very nice overlooking the Golf course
View attachment 1609415
Below is the deck we had lunch on.
View attachment 1609416
Here's the crashed VTR . . seen better days . .
View attachment 1609417
Did the guy on on the VTR get hurt bad?

Did the guy on on the VTR get hurt bad?
No, he ‘limped’ away, he grazed his elbow and has a sore shoulder, he was wearing good gear.
The club always has a pick up truck following the pack, with trailer to salvage any breakdowns or crashes.
Similar thing happened a year ago with a ZX10 crashing under heavy braking, about to pass another bike when suddenly that bike pulled out to make a pass on a car coming up.
I really hate riding in tight packs for that very reason.
It can get really dicey with erratic riding and split second decisions causing chaos.
The few times I ride on these runs I have always stayed right behind the Prez leading the way lol.

No, he ‘limped’ away, he grazed his elbow and has a sore shoulder, he was wearing good gear.
The club always has a pick up truck following the pack, with trailer to salvage any breakdowns or crashes.
Similar thing happened a year ago with a ZX10 crashing under heavy braking, about to pass another bike when suddenly that bike pulled out to make a pass on a car coming up.
I really hate riding in tight packs for that very reason.
It can get really dicey with erratic riding and split second decisions causing chaos.
The few times I ride on these runs I have always stayed right behind the Prez leading the way lol.
Didnt know a lot of the guys i rode with yesterday and generally ride with the people i know, but these guys were pretty onto it which makes the ride not chaotic and a great day out :banana:

Didnt know a lot of the guys i rode with yesterday and generally ride with the people i know, but these guys were pretty onto it which makes the ride not chaotic and a great day out :banana:
Yeah, it really helps when you are riding with other guys at the same skill level and also safety conscious . . . good following distances, conservative braking etc . . unlike some of the knuckle dragger Harley riders I had to contend with briefly until I passed them all lol.
I noticed a lot of them never use their mirrors (if they even have mirrors!!) before pulling out to pass, have had a few close shaves.
Had a guy on a GS1200S Suzook hangin with me and my K6 Gixxer mate at well over 200 clicks, he was diggin' it coz he has no fast bikes to ride with usually, but he did say he wanted to 'cruize' with us more often. Nice bike those retro GSXR's . . . and cheap too.
1576351548291.png

Yeah, it really helps when you are riding with other guys at the same skill level and also safety conscious . . . good following distances, conservative braking etc . . unlike some of the knuckle dragger Harley riders I had to contend with briefly until I passed them all lol.
I noticed a lot of them never use their mirrors (if they even have mirrors!!) before pulling out to pass, have had a few close shaves.
Had a guy on a GS1200S Suzook hangin with me and my K6 Gixxer mate at well over 200 clicks, he was diggin' it coz he has no fast bikes to ride with usually, but he did say he wanted to 'cruize' with us more often. Nice bike those retro GSXR's . . . and cheap too.
View attachment 1609449
Came close to buying one of those 12s a couple of times alot of bike for the money :super:

Came close to buying one of those 12s a couple of times alot of bike for the money :super:
I read up on them one time, they were basically a Gen1 1200 Bandit with different body work...except they felt the need to put saddle shocks on it instead of leaving the mono shock...even my '85 Gixxer had mono shock.

I read up on them one time, they were basically a Gen1 1200 Bandit with different body work...except they felt the need to put saddle shocks on it instead of leaving the mono shock...even my '85 Gixxer had mono shock.
“saddle shocks” haha haha!
1576354272680.png

:D :D :D
We call them ‘twin shocks’ as they are twins lmao .... I’ve never seen a saddle with shocks :rolleyes::laugh::laugh::laugh:

“saddle shocks” haha haha!
:D :D :D
We call them ‘twin shocks’ as they are twins lmao .... I’ve never seen a saddle with shocks :rolleyes::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just quoting off a magazine article on the bike...the picture of the bike had one of those huge sissy bars same as on the back of your Busa so I figured the article was from somewhere in your neck of the woods and this was some special name for them I haven't heard before.

An uber-rare bike though

Edit, I mis-read the article....it said it was saddled with a twin shock frame....in my defense, my wife has been baking all day so I was distracted by having to test-taste baking...I might be sugar-high.

Last edited:
Just quoting off a magazine article on the bike...the picture of the bike had one of those huge sissy bars same as on the back of your Busa so I figured the article was from somewhere in your neck of the woods and this was some special name for them I haven't heard before.

An uber-rare bike though

Edit, I mis-read the article....it said it was saddled with a twin shock frame....in my defense, my wife has been baking all day so I was distracted by having to test-taste baking...I might be sugar-high.

Think they were down to NZ$9999...

Got in a quick ride after cleaning/lubing chain and washing the bike only 30 miles but sometimes it’s all I need.

Temp about 52 and sunny
No deer!
No state troopers
Roads a bit wet in certain areas as it rained yesterday
No major hazards but pine straw in corners on some backroads or an occasional branch/twig, expected more gravel given that it’s rained the past two days
Top speed slow :banana:

8BC2F2E2-C05B-4E54-85FC-578E457E9AE0.jpeg

687DCABC-B4C8-4313-A83C-169B50CCC1F0.jpeg

Had a weekend away with some good friends. Had a great time.
Got rained on, then got baked in the afternoon sun.
Covered 350 km Saturday and 420 Sunday.
Nothing better than sitting at the Pub having a drink and a meal and talking about the days ride... And planning where are we going in the morning. It's the best

First time ever, I made myself sick, and had a rushed pull over and a very fast removal of the helmet..
62km road, with all twistes, hairpins and tight corners, no more than about 150 meters of straight at a time.
Yeah, won't be doing that again at a fast pace..
The Gmaps satellite picture is a excerpt of the road, circled in red..

Last edited:
Back