Who rode/Rides without a Helmet

yamwon

Registered
Any of us out there not wear their helemt when they ride. I knwo that most staes do not allow for this but I would like to know if it is somehting most of us would like to be able to fo, or do you think it is too much of a risk. I live in a state where they are not required and I still wear it always because a head is a hard thing to replace.
super.gif

I live in a helmet optional state. I wear one ALL THE TIME, cause I wanna keep my brains in my head, not splattered on a Lexus or on the street. ALL THE TIME.

But if ya wanna die, I think you should be allowed to ride without a helmet. Hey it ain't illegal to be stoopid!

Just my opinion on the matter.

i must say i will sometimes ride in tee shirt with no helmet and wife on the back !im 41 and know better but it just the way it goes now and then.if god can watch all the harley no helmet guys why not me and my busa now and then .ps no wife on back means speed then full gear.

I grew up in Chicago, where the average Busa rider uses his rear seat instead of the hump...why? So that he can pick up chicks asking for a ride. Go one step further....NO HELMET for the chick.

I had a method to my madness:

At night...always where helmet
When cool or cold...where helmet
When riding any distance on expressway...where helmet
When extremely hot and muggy, during the day...no helmet.

After 15 years of riding, I just bought my first "real" motorcycle jacket. I am learning, but I get weak when it is hot.

Arizona has no helmet law but I have a personal one since I value my head. My insurance company also requires it. But as with the speed limit, I sometimes break it and will take a quick spin through the neighborhood with just the wind blowing over my balding head. I can't believe Gary Busey still rides without one after nearly spilling his brains, or perhaps that explains it.:rock:

I am a firefighter and on monday made a call on a motorcycle accident. Guy on a RC51 slid about 350' on his backside and went under a truck, which proceeded to run over him. He was wearing nothing more than shorts, sandals and a t-shirt. Would a helmet have saved him? Probably not. But you never know, and that gaping hole in his head definitely did not help out his chances. Be smart and protect your lid, you only get one!

CT & RI do not have a helmet law, however i will not ride with out one.

CT & RI do not have a helmet law, however i will not ride with out one.
I also live in a helmet optional state but won't ride without one. OK, maybe a slow speed loop around the block after cleaning the bike, but hey I do the same thing on the mountain bike add with the hill I'll hit the same speed.

Just bought the bike for $6k and have spent $1,500 in the last month on riding gear for the wife and I. I have been down enough to know it ain't fun.

Actually, it's kinda like sex it may fell better with nothing on, but d*mm them consequences.
wow.gif

I ride without in a states that allows, however, I try to be extremely careful...The other states of course no choice...

Here in Ky, no helmet required.....but I wear mine about 98% of the time.....don't know why I don't that other 2 %........

Actually, it's kinda like sex it may fell better with nothing on, but d*mm them consequences.
wow.gif
Actually, while I do find sex without a raincoat better, I do not find riding without full gear to be better. I can't stand to ride without gear, period. It is plain un-enjoyable. Sex nekkid, but riding sux nekkid. No helmet means I can't see as sunglasses don't work over 40, and I don't like the feeling of that shirt flapping in the wind - just makes me itch. Shorts? The coal dust around here feels like sandpaper. Minimum gear for me is jeans, gloves, boots fullface helmet and jacket. But usually I wear a aerostitch roadcrafter since I can wear shorts and a t-shirt under it and the 'stitch comes off in about 10 seconds at a stop.

Helmet all the time.  If for no other reason than shyness.  Busa attracts too much attention...It's like tinted windows, I just feel more secure behind the mirrored visor.

The only time I do not wear the lid is like some of the others, a little spin through the neighborhood.  I've hit my head on the asphalt enough times when I was young on the bicycle, the idea of doing it at 40-50 MPH is nightmare enough to convince me.  Besides, the wind rushing past my ears is to freakin loud without the lid.

I also wear gloves 100% it is the other piece of gear I absolutely feel nekid without.  Basically I never leave the house without all my gear on.  Why risk it, the full perf leather keeps the bugs and road crap off me, the helmet keeps my head comfy and the gloves protect the hands from the sun and above mentioned road crap.

As for not wearing the gear because it's too hot...Simple, as my Granddad said when he put me on my first dirt bike..."If it's too hot for a helmet, it's too hot to ride." True enough, your lookin at heatstroke if it's really "Too Hot".

My last complaint is the riding a passanger without getting them in the right gear.  This is just plain warped.  We may understand the risks involved in riding, we accept them and move on, but to assume this kind of responsibility for anothers safety is just plain wrong.  Besides, the mental images of my wifes road rashed booty or god forbid damaged brain makes sure this never happens.  When something as simple as suiting up could prevent injury or save your loved ones life, (or Booty) you gotta be high not to do so...Sorry I am beating this horse but it makes me freakin psycho when I see the Harley or Sportbike A**Hol*s with some little lady on the back riding around in short sleeves and shorts...Grr
cussing.gif

Sorry if I stepped on some toes...not my intent...really, but it is a pet peeve...IF you brief your lady ahead of time, show her a couple of crash videos and a couple of pics of a roadrashed squid, then explain how Gary Busey was FUBAR for about a year after a 40MPH crash.  Then let them make an educated decision...Explain the realities of the ride, not just the BS Freedom or Image Side of things.  If you do this and she is still up for it, then by all means, carry on.
rant.gif

What was the original question again?  Oh yeah, I wear a Helmet.  Buy a good one, and you may find it to be more comfortable than going without...Keeping the sun off your head can make a big difference.

Sorry for the extended REV remix version of a post here...Nothing but Love....
beerchug.gif

i must say i will sometimes ride in tee shirt with no helmet and wife on the back !im 41 and know better but it just the way it goes now and then.if god can watch all the harley no helmet guys why not me and my busa now and then .ps no wife on back means speed then full gear.
Not to be a snob, but if those guys not wearing helmets didn't make it abundantly clear which lane of the natural selection interstate they belonged in, the fact that they bought a Harley should make it an open and shut case
baaa.gif
. But, alas, I digress...

The laws of physics make it easy: What goes fast, must slow down (on its noggin, if need be). Might as well *try* and survive the inevitable, eh?

I'm a little annoyed that all of those gimp-dressin', massive-head-trauma-honchos tie up emergency services assets and public health funding (not to mention their effect on our insurance rates), but if the people of state X want to let them do "facies" on their highway aramco barriers, let 'em.

Thank goodness it ain't so in MD -- at least I don't have to see it.

Helmet mandatory all across Canada but even if they weren't I'd never get on my streetbike without it.
The thought of my rather soft head smashing on to the concrete just sends shivers up my spine.
I have been known to ride my dirtbike just around the farm a bit without one....but with no stupid stunting.
I ride my quad quite often without it....but it's extremely stable...and I do no stunting on it without a helmet too.

I usualy wear mine unless going to the store down the road

guess it is like everything else in life
there are laws to not speed , not drink and drive and drugs and whole lot of other things

BUT people are going to do what they want to it is their life and if they get killed doing it that is their choice as long as it does not harm others that is the way of things ....stay safe everyone !!
cool.gif

Iowa = helmet optional
Promised myself that if I ever got a cycle, I'd ALWAYS wear a helmet and I ALWAYS do. I think it looks 'cooler' anyway, especially with my Astronaut riding suit on
smile.gif

Back