Who rode/Rides without a Helmet

Will not ride without ALL my gear, helmet, boots, leathers, and gloves.

Even if I could ride w/out a helmet, I wouldn't. Ever had a fly hit your visor? Feels like someone hit you in the face w/ a BB gun. No wonder those Harley guys always look so pissed off.

I have ridden without a helmet once. It was just for a day when I was shopping for a new helmet.
tounge.gif

My last complaint is the riding a passanger without getting them in the right gear.  This is just plain warped.  We may understand the risks involved in riding, we accept them and move on, but to assume this kind of responsibility for anothers safety is just plain wrong.  Besides, the mental images of my wifes road rashed booty or god forbid damaged brain makes sure this never happens.  When something as simple as suiting up could prevent injury or save your loved ones life, (or Booty) you gotta be high not to do so...Sorry I am beating this horse but it makes me freakin psycho when I see the Harley or Sportbike A**Hol*s with some little lady on the back riding around in short sleeves and shorts...Grr
cussing.gif
On that note I gotta tell you guys about the dumbest sight I'd seen in a while. It was a 2001 GSXR1000 whipping through medium <lunch hour> traffic on the Courtney campbell Causeway. The pilot was in full gear, Shoei helmet, leathers, gloves, boots. Had a VERY shapely blonde passenger wearing a skimmpy blue bikini top & thong bottoms. No helmet but she did have flip-flops on! Oh yeah, and sunglasses too.

To answer the Question, here in FL its optional for helmets. I wear mine 95% of the time. Exception being if I'm just cruising up to my brother in laws or the corner gas station. Rest of my gear includes gloves, leather/mesh jacket & road boots. And of course jeans.

Not to be a snob, but if those guys not wearing helmets didn't make it abundantly clear which lane of the natural selection interstate they belonged in, the fact that they bought a Harley should make it an open and shut case
baaa.gif
. But, alas, I digress...
In VA we have to wear helmets...I am a Harley owner/soon to be Busa owner, and I wear full face nearly every time I go out...I have gone out only twice with a half-helmet, and it was due to the excessive heat...I recently forked over the money for a new, well-vented full face so I don't feel the urge to use the half...

Not all Harley riders have a "head trauma" wish!
eek2.gif

I'd have to say that most of the "very unprotected" guys I see are in fact on bullet bikes...shorts, t-shirt, skid lid...maybe it's just in VA?!

Not to be a snob, but if those guys not wearing helmets didn't make it abundantly clear which lane of the natural selection interstate they belonged in, the fact that they bought a Harley should make it an open and shut case
baaa.gif
. But, alas, I digress...
In VA we have to wear helmets...I am a Harley owner/soon to be Busa owner, and I wear full face nearly every time I go out...I have gone out only twice with a half-helmet, and it was due to the excessive heat...I recently forked over the money for a new, well-vented full face so I don't feel the urge to use the half...

Not all Harley riders have a "head trauma" wish!
eek2.gif

I'd have to say that most of the "very unprotected" guys I see are in fact on bullet bikes...shorts, t-shirt, skid lid...maybe it's just in VA?!
My bad -- that was a cheap shot. I see a lot of chrome on our interstates around here and on RT50, however, and almost all of those riders are sporitin' those above-the-ears novelty jobs (or something similar).

LOTS of guys on sport bikes with the flip-flop/tank top uniform, however, I agree very much. I hate it when I see a young lady on the pillion of one of those bikes wearing short shorts and the like -- just imagine the road rash.

Still, they're fun to look at as they ride by
baaa.gif
!

baaa.gif

For everyone, MYSELF INCLUDED! That only ride helmetless in the neighborhoods. PLEASE don't let your guard down because you are in "your" environment!

"I", personally knew a guy that died on his own street!

Had just got the ZRX back from the shop, went for a test ride and never came home.
A block and a half from his driveway!
His cap flew off, he tried to grab it, lost control and hit his head.
DOA!
soapbox.gif

Ok, I'm done.
cool.gif

I went down in some clear oil on an offramp at "only" 15 mph WITH my helmet on a long time ago. Smacked my head hard enough to see stars. Later I thought if I wasn't wearing a helmet it would have been a lot worse. I walked away with a broken shoelace and dripping in oil.

I always wear my lid.
war.gif

And I love outjustouts avatar too, cracks me up every time.

First of all i'm gonna make a motion we give outjustout the "Avatar of the month" award (yeah I just made it up so what) Then I'm gonna make a motion that we create an "Avatar of the month Award" Can I get a second???

I ride without a helmet when i go to the Myrtle Beach SC.which has no helmet law for 21 yrs or older. While i realize anthing can happen at any speed I feel comfortable rolling up and down the strip in the stop and go traffic at 5mph during bike week or the occassion 45mph-50mph when I get the chance and letting the wind blow through my hair --kinda makes me feel like i'm still alive.... Back home and on regular basis its not just a helmet all the time but a riding jacket all the time and on long trips riding pants. This fall I'm opting for the full leather look.. Would have had them but i pretty much have to get them custom at 5'7. I'll always vote personal choice on personal matters even gray matters.

Now EVERYONE do the BANANA DANCE!

soapbox.gif
PA is getting rid of the helmet law starting in Sept. However, you must wear your seatbelt in a car. To someone this makes sense, I'm not sure I agree.....no, I'm pretty sure I think it is pretty f'n stoopid!
I get nervous moving the bike in the garage without the lid on! I could never imagine riding without the full face protection. I don't understand how the non-full face guys do it. Just the bugs, and misc. road debris that hits my shield is enough of a reason for me.
face7.gif

Colorado doesn't have a helmet law. On my ride today a group caught up with us when we stopped for lunch. They said they had come up on a guy on a sport bike who had ben riding without a helmet. They arrived just in time to see him take his last breaths. He had gone down and lost the top of his head. I don't think wearing helmets should be enforced by law, but I always wear a helmet.

optional in texas also, but i never leave home without it!!
I thought TX had a helmet law.
I have to wear one here in GA it's the law. When I lived up in CT I would ride my buddies bike without one. I'm not sure what I would do if GA lifed the law. Maybe if I was just putting around town I would go helmetless.

I have to wear one here in GA it's the law.  When I lived up in CT I would ride my buddies bike without one.  I'm not sure what I would do if GA lifed the law.  Maybe if I was just putting around town I would go helmetless.
You don't have to wear it in Texas , if you have a certain amount of health insurrance.

I have to wear one here in GA it's the law.  When I lived up in CT I would ride my buddies bike without one.  I'm not sure what I would do if GA lifed the law.  Maybe if I was just putting around town I would go helmetless.
You have to have at least 10,000 insurance or close to that number on health or

take the msf saftey course and send in a form and 5 bucks to the dps and get a thing to put on your liscense and it is ok to ride with out one most cops will not stop you for not having a helmet but for something else then they might give you a ticket for not wearing one ?

i usualy wear unless running to the store down the road
AAAssjani.gif

You have to have at least 10,000 insurance or close to that number on health or

take the msf saftey course and send in a form and 5 bucks to the dps and get a thing to put on your liscense and it is ok to ride with out one most cops will not stop you for not having a helmet but for something else then they might give you a ticket for not wearing one ?

i usualy wear unless running to the store down the road
AAAssjani.gif

Aside from the other sane reasons to wear one......you wouldn't believe the looks and comments I get with this......

04.jpg

I have to admit I do not wear my helmet as much as I should, but I do wear it more on the Busa. In all honesty the windshield offers no protection at all for me being 6'4". So I need it for cool days rain night riding etc. Up here in Maine there are less cars and the traffic is not as heavy as some other places. I realize I should wear it more but I like the fact that it is my choice. They made Insurance mandatory so we must have that. You all have many stories about friends and people you have seen critically injured riding. Maybe thats why I dont wear one very often. I have lost one friend to a drunk driver a helmet would not have helped him. One other lost a foot when he slid into a guard rail. Other than that (knock on wood) no serious injuries minor road rash etc but thats it. You dont even hear about alot of that stuff up here.

Back