Who rides the most ??

Riding for a total of 4 years in October, 2 bikes, 99,XXX miles. I live in Germantown, MD. Put almost 5,000 miles since the last week of July.

I'll bring up the rear of this contest. I've currently got about 2400 miles after owning the bike since 11/01/08, brand new with zero mile. That's an average of a mere 240 miles/month and will net a bit under 3000/year.

Now, for the excuses as to why so few miles:

Rain! I hate it and I really try to avoid riding in it. Even so, and in spite of originally swearing that my Hayabusa would never see rain, I've been caught in it three times now, two times have been massive thunder storms/down pours that were absolutely unsafe for riding.

Below Freezing Temps: Here in the DC Metro area we get our fair share of below freezing days and the early mornings and evenings in winter are frequently supportive of black ice/frozen puddles, etc. I won't ride if there might be ice out there b/c, in my experience, I have yet to come up with a viable strategy to maintain traction on ice. ;)

Lack of sleep: If I don't get enough sleep to feel up on my riding game, I simply won't ride. IMHO, one of the greatest safety risks is to ride tired, so I don't.

Short commute: With a round trip of about 15 miles I enjoy what many folks envy - a short commute with no freeways in the route and a 20 minute or less travel time. However, 15 miles a day when it doesn't rain and isn't freezing just doesn't add up to a lot of miles.

Weekend rides: They just don't always happen, in spite of my best intentions. My longest weekend ride was with a group led by Postal and Sageronin of ECHR fame. That ride was about 250 miles for me from driveway to driveway. That's over 10% of my current mileage!!! I've ridden several 175 mile days solo. But the reality is that between weather, work, family and friends, I just don't have/make the kind of time to ride that I would have in the past.

1st oil change disaster: This caused me to miss the WV trip that the ECHR held earlier this year. The night before the trip I needed to change the oil, so I tried to put the bike on the stand that I had just bought. Never put a bike on a stand before - and that didn't change. Instead, I put my perfect/still like new Hayabusa on it's side on my garage floor. After I finished crying and screaming at the gods, I proceeded with the oil change. Since it was my first time doing so, the change took far longer than I planned and I managed to stay up late enough that I didn't have enough time to sleep AND make the WV ride, sooooo....I missed out on some of the best miles that I might have ridden this year.

So there ya have it. The struggles of a low mileage rider. At least when I do ride, it's kinda like Christmas morning! :thumbsup:

:beerchug:

I guess that explains why you have so many arcade trophies:)

11,000 in 8 months on my '09 Gray / Silver beauty.

I may not ride the most miles, but I ride a min of 5 days a week every week. I don't own a car, so the Busa is sole vehicle.
Love to ride.
Bubba

Wow. That's impressive. And those are pre-dawn hours too, right?
I'd say 90% of it is pre~dawn hours. What I started doing this summer is wake up at 3:45 everyday and leave at 4:00. If I leave later, traffic gets heavy.

I had a suzuki TL1000R for a year and did 23,000 miles, sold 2 years later got a 2008 Hayabusa and currently had it for 2 years and almost 18,000miles and I dont ride this bike every day. But in AZ a short ride is about 80 miles+.

I'll bring up the rear of this contest. I've currently got about 2400 miles after owning the bike since 11/01/08, brand new with zero mile. That's an average of a mere 240 miles/month and will net a bit under 3000/year.

Now, for the excuses as to why so few miles:

Rain! I hate it and I really try to avoid riding in it. Even so, and in spite of originally swearing that my Hayabusa would never see rain, I've been caught in it three times now, two times have been massive thunder storms/down pours that were absolutely unsafe for riding.

Below Freezing Temps: Here in the DC Metro area we get our fair share of below freezing days and the early mornings and evenings in winter are frequently supportive of black ice/frozen puddles, etc. I won't ride if there might be ice out there b/c, in my experience, I have yet to come up with a viable strategy to maintain traction on ice. ;)

Lack of sleep: If I don't get enough sleep to feel up on my riding game, I simply won't ride. IMHO, one of the greatest safety risks is to ride tired, so I don't.

Short commute: With a round trip of about 15 miles I enjoy what many folks envy - a short commute with no freeways in the route and a 20 minute or less travel time. However, 15 miles a day when it doesn't rain and isn't freezing just doesn't add up to a lot of miles.

Weekend rides: They just don't always happen, in spite of my best intentions. My longest weekend ride was with a group led by Postal and Sageronin of ECHR fame. That ride was about 250 miles for me from driveway to driveway. That's over 10% of my current mileage!!! I've ridden several 175 mile days solo. But the reality is that between weather, work, family and friends, I just don't have/make the kind of time to ride that I would have in the past.

1st oil change disaster: This caused me to miss the WV trip that the ECHR held earlier this year. The night before the trip I needed to change the oil, so I tried to put the bike on the stand that I had just bought. Never put a bike on a stand before - and that didn't change. Instead, I put my perfect/still like new Hayabusa on it's side on my garage floor. After I finished crying and screaming at the gods, I proceeded with the oil change. Since it was my first time doing so, the change took far longer than I planned and I managed to stay up late enough that I didn't have enough time to sleep AND make the WV ride, sooooo....I missed out on some of the best miles that I might have ridden this year.

So there ya have it. The struggles of a low mileage rider. At least when I do ride, it's kinda like Christmas morning! :thumbsup:

I live about 130 miles north of you, and that's about what I do a year also (3,000) I thought that was alot, till I came on here, LoL

You people put some miles on! I am about 600 a week. Living in Seattle lots of rain and bad drivers keeps the bike caged up for many months of the year.

I live about 130 miles north of you, and that's about what I do a year also (3,000) I thought that was alot, till I came on here, LoL

Nah, we have to face it - we're light weights. :dunno:

Of course, it's not the quantity of miles but the quality of miles that counts, right? :laugh:

I bought my bike on April 10th 2009 and I put about 2200 miles on it to date. Which works out to be about 366 miles a month or 92 miles a week. However, 1100 miles of that was a weekend trip and the rest of that is just normal commuting. With those numbers I would only average 183 miles per month or 46 miles per week.

Either way I hope to find some friends and then hopefully find some friends that have motorcycles so I can start putting the miles on my motorcycle. It's sad when you have to base your maintenance off of the time line instead of the mileage. :(

Last edited:
Back