Who makes tires rated for 200mph?

07BUSA420

Registered
Hi there. I just got a 07 GSX 1300R with 9,900 (well maintained, original owner) miles on it. It has a Power Commander 3 and a tuned full Muzzy exhaust. I LOVE IT!:thumbsup:
Well it needed a front tire, and the back was not far behind, so I got a set of Michelin Pilot Power 3s on there. They are great, and are ZR (I know that the R just means Radial) rated. So as far as I know these Z rated tires are good to 168 mph. Right? Well I hit 170 (in 2-4 second bursts) like 10 times just the other day, (and could/would have gone faster). I have had them up to 179mph for a few seconds (and the Busa had more), but that damn tire rating was making me nervous, so I let off, and now I do not/can't ride above 168-ish. :-( It is dangerous enough going that fast... I want as much OR MORE tire then I need, so as to not be held back/worried about it.
I have two questions.

1. What brand/type of tire comes stock on a new Hayabusa? I mean it seems like if you sell a bike that goes 184mph then you would have to have tires on there able to do it too.

2. Who makes a good Y rated tire? One rated around 200 so I can let the Busa rip without eyeing the speedo, and worrying about my tires?
Thanks! Steve

If you do a little research, tire ratings are a little misleading. A tire gets a rating when is tested at SUSTAINED speeds, that's the key word, sustained. So a z rated tire gets tested at 186 or better for like 3 min straight. The testing to me, doesn't seem real world, but that's the standard.

Take some time and search how the give a rating. I did a long time ago when I had the same thoughts when I was getting in to bikes. Many have been, including myself over 200mph on shinkos which are w rated I think. It's ok for short bursts ,but for lsr you would be better off with z rating for example. I always suggest at least a w rated tire for our bikes.

+1 to what murdered said. But most manufacturers will make a y and Z rated tires. Premium tire, premium price.

Agree with others above....

Honestly, I don't think any motorcycle tire is "TRUE" 200mph-rated...you'd have to go to a LSR car tire for that and that's not something you would want to ride around on the street with...

...and unless you've got some serious mods you won't go 200+ anyway.

Thanks for the replies! :thumbsup:
So the ZR Pilot power 3s are rated to 186 (plenty fast enough for me!!!) not 168 like I thought????

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

B6.jpg

B7.jpg

B8.jpg

B9.jpg

I'd be more concerned with the extension links than your tires, but based on that last pic you might need it... :poke:

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

:rofl: it's been awhile since I was surprised :bowdown:

Your stock '07 with muzzy will more than likely not exceed 183-184

If you do a little research, tire ratings are a little misleading. A tire gets a rating when is tested at SUSTAINED speeds, that's the key word, sustained. So a z rated tire gets tested at 186 or better for like 3 min straight. The testing to me, doesn't seem real world, but that's the standard.

Take some time and search how the give a rating. I did a long time ago when I had the same thoughts when I was getting in to bikes. Many have been, including myself over 200mph on shinkos which are w rated I think. It's ok for short bursts ,but for lsr you would be better off with z rating for example. I always suggest at least a w rated tire for our bikes.

Yep, it's for sustained speed, but I think it's for 30 minutes. The tires are not just going to instantly de-laminate if you ever go faster than the rated speed.

Well cool!:thumbsup:
Gona let that Power Comander 3 do it's thing then! So the W (that means they are good to 186) will be somewhere else on the tire sidewall?

@Got Busa; What should I watch for on the extensions? Besides the usual lose bolts, or stress crack in the metal?
That is one good thing about keeping my bike REALLY clean, is I get to inspect lots of parts most people never see.
:laugh:

@Busa4Life; Here ya go! ;-) Not sure if this on is gona fly as it is not PG-13:rulez::laugh::rulez:!

..And if I am still stressed over the tires, or do not find a "W" anywhere on there I will look in to those AVONs!
Thanks fellas!:bowdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back