Who keeps pipes stock and why?

I'm suprised how many guys are keeping the stock pipes. I thought everybody went aftermarket as soon as they got their baby home :laugh: Its been a bit of an eye opener...if they do start requiring stock systems on all bikes made after 2011 in california there won't be as many upset busa riders as I expected :laugh: But there'll be PLENTY of upset hd and chopper riders :rofl:

I run stock right now. I'm actually hoping to build up a little extra skill by dealing with that extra weight. But there are some slip-ons I like just haven't taken the plunge yet.:whistle:

Stock pipes suck. Jellyrug, if you think your bike is worth more stock, think again. Your bike will never be a collectors item. Never.

GM, why all the hate here buddy?
It's common knowlwdge that you never get your $$ back on mods at re-sale time. A stock bike will always be worth as much, or more, than a modded version when it comes time to sell.
As for collectors items, in 20 years, a bone stock Hayabusa will be worth 3 times (or more) what a "molested" version will be. Watch Barrett Jackson sometime, see how much "correct numbers" pays.

GM, why all the hate here buddy?
It's common knowlwdge that you never get your $$ back on mods at re-sale time. A stock bike will always be worth as much, or more, than a modded version when it comes time to sell.
As for collectors items, in 20 years, a bone stock Hayabusa will be worth 3 times (or more) what a "molested" version will be. Watch Barrett Jackson sometime, see how much "correct numbers" pays.

Gen I copper is already sought after.
Posted via Mobile Device

i've been watching this thread :watching: thinking of what i would post.

well today i was at "my" bar, having a pepsi. a letter to the mayor of mills, from residents that live around the bar was posted on the bar door. it was a gripe letter about all the loud bikes that rip up and down the street all hours of the night and day. my loud friends are endangering the liquor license of my bar. and most by doing nothing more thaan rideing thier bikes! most don't rip around, or rev thier engines. they just have loud bikes. and most of the roads out of the "Hide" are up hill..soo :poke: its loud.
now i have fought the news about motorcycle noise for some time. worked with the citys, and police on add campains. raised $$ for "pipe down in town, ride with respect" yard signs and billboards. about everything i can do do educate motorcyclist and the public about motorcycle noise. i am almost to the point i have just gone on the defence. i will stand up for my rights, and do my best to be a respectful motorcyclist. and if "they" want to harass me or any of my friends..good luck!

"catching a loud motorcycle is like trying to hold mercury!" casper police chief Pagel

so if you have not guessed i still run stock pipes. :laugh:

"And thats all i got to say about that" Forest Gump.

:withstupid:

Except for an alarm, my Busa will remain bone stock.

Three reasons:

1.) I plan on keeping the bike forever, so many years from now it has to be an original.

2.) I ride with a lot of folks with pipes, none seem to have gotten the map perfect, you can see the black soot and smell the CO. If I did not do the tuning myself, I would always wonder if it is exactly right. Currently I get around 50mph with a nice white carbon stain leaving the stock pipes, showing that the bike runs perfect. Changing pipes, getting the stuff to flash the ECU, doing data logging just seems like a lot of work.

3.) This Busa has more power and handling than I can ever use on the street, why bother for saving a few pounds and gaining only a few hp's.?

Foreva?? foeva eva ?? foreva eva ???:laugh:

How are you fellas pulling 50 mpg? The most I'm getting in my 50 mile round trip daily commute is about 38 mpg. That's rolling in 4th or 5th gear on the highway.

Another vote for stock exhaust -- until I find a system that blows my socks off.

I think I might have paid too much for my aftermarket pipes but love the sound of them way better than stock.

I paid $1800 bucks for a full dual TiForce titanium 350mm exhaust + a PC3 they threw in.
I switched exhaust systems when I bought my 08 back in 08.
First mod I did.

I still think the mud flap looks good no matter what ya all think:laugh:

I hated the stocks on the Gen II when I got her. I did try the MotoGP style pipes...bad move as that was a 144 bones to the State...thank you very much. I ended up with Yosh R77 exhaust system and have been quite happy. Now, looking forward and seeing how legislation is moving, would I invest the money I have...nope.

The bike puts out enough HP and performance in a stock configuration that I would accept that for what I like to do on the road. Am I happy at the prospect of having big government push down my throat what I can and can not run on my bike...nope. But timez is timez and I am just one vote that is pushing against a big wave of change.

I did save my stock pipes from my Gen I so if I ever have to run through the "State mandated checks" that may be coming I believe I can pass...but still...sigh...this is a sad road we are starting to move down.

I think the stock pipes on the 08's looked like left over inventory from the NASA space shuttle. Not only are they extremely heavy at 48 lbs they are slung too low to the ground for hard cornering. I hit the pipes on both sides more than once. So, I bought a single sided full titanium Brocks pipe. It weighs 8 lbs from header to tip of pipe. I then added carbon fiber wheels and dropped approx another 15 lbs. This bike is another machine now...I dropped over 10 percent of the bike weight with these two mods and she ain't the same busa most guys ride...

bike-Brocks muffler install 02-14-10 001.jpg

bike-Brocks muffler install 02-14-10 008.jpg

It won't be long before the man will be telling us what to bend over and how far...and we'll do it gladly with a big old smile on our faces, just glad to have a bike to ride at all :laugh:

I stayed with the stock pipes because;

1) I cannot justify the price to change.
2) It would not add value to the bike. But add too the cost of insurance.
3) The bike has more than enough power to cope with the weight of the OE.
4) Leaves more money to spend on fuel and putting some serious miles in. Which is what it is all about isn't it?
5) I don't find them offensive to look at.

Definitely will be a collectors item. I will be the collector.

Jokes aside, who knows what the world will look like 40 years from today? I work hard to normally get what I want. The Busa was not expensive, yet it's one of the nicer things I have. Perhaps you just have the wrong color?
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't have a color, cause I don't own a bike at this time. I just hate hearing the stupid coppout of "it's fast enough" or "that's what the engineers put on".

I tell you what, if Suzuki could legaly sell their busa's with full flowing exhausts, they would. They wouldn't be selling busa's with choking restrictive mufflers. I like a good tuned performance sound. I'm not a mileage king, nor ever will be.

Last edited:
I keep them stock because I like them and don't see a need for the upgrade.

Actually, I like my bike stock because it stands out!

Back