Who is Currently the Best Manufacturer?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I was thinking about this and I would say right now as far as producing motorcycle art that raises the bar I would say Ducati. I base this on the Daviel, Multistrada, Streetfighters, and of course the Pinagale. No one else has a lineup like that covering so much of the many ways to enjoy riding with the possible exception of BMW. I would put BMW at a close second mainly because their products are pretty "safe", breaking new performance barriers with typical engineering approaches.

It's amazing that the Japanese have completely dropped out of the picture. When you consider that Honda and Yamaha still dominate the top racing classes and Suzuki is still competitive in the lower classes, you just have to wonder why they don't fire back. It really seems like they have lost interest, especially in the performance bike area.

It could be that their product planners missed the boat. For example, Yamaha invested heavily in the crossplane crank, throttle by wire, and adjustible intake track. But electronics have made all that more or less beside the point as you can now build a screaming monster and tame it with TC. It's also amazing that Kawasaki would put out both a ZX-10 & ZX-14 without clearly dominant horsepower outputs.

I really think BMW stole everyone's fire by jumping in with a bike that was 2 generations ahead of the status quo with the S1000RR. I think everyone except Ducati is trying to figure out what's next and how to afford doing it. It's also possible this is taking development away from bikes like the Busa as manufactures must focus all the R&D money on their liter bikes.

Thoughts?

I think if Suzuki or Kawisaki made a $20,000 motorcycle it would be better than any Ducati.
Show me a Duc you can buy for $10,000 that is as versatile as a a Busa?

I think if Suzuki or Kawisaki made a $20,000 motorcycle it would be better than any Ducati.

Would be a very small market for either of them. That was the #1 complaint with the new V-Max.

Would be a very small market for either of them. That was the #1 complaint with the new V-Max.

Agreed. Same small market there is for $20,000 ducatis. But imagine if Suzi did put $20k worth of tech into a Busa. I think it would be better than any Duc.

Agreed. Same small market there is for $20,000 ducatis. But imagine if Suzi did put $20k worth of tech into a Busa. I think it would be better than any Duc.

Oh my! Nice lightweight wheels, great brakes, upgraded suspension, 200+ HP at the wheel and various weight savings doodads.......I'm in!!:thumbsup:

So why not offer upgraded versions like Ducati does? That way you can be mass market and top shelf. A stock Busa for $13K and a Busa with electric Ohlins, TC, ABS for $20K. Most Busa guys put $3-$5K inthe bike after they buy it anyway.

Problem is, you can't find a new Busa for $10,000 any more. In 2008 you could walk out the door at $10 grand a some change. Now the prices have gone high enough to make a person shudder at the thought. :banghead:

Personally, I believe it is time for Ducati to realize that trying to maintain tradition and stick with their twin motor limits them when it comes to horsepower and reliability. They try and compete with 4 cyl motors, tap too much out of their twin, don't quite get the same performance and reliability becomes questionable.

BMW heads the pack I believe, if one looks at model range, from comfortable to high performance and off road, since they now own the Husqvarna brand.

Yamaha and Honda a close call when it comes to motocross or true dirt bikes.

Japan may come back, but their motorcycle revenue comes from small bikes below 600cc, interesting times.

The BMW is roughly $4000 more then a Kaw or Suz in the BIG picture, and for the DTC and ABS I think the Jap Mfg really need to step it up to compete..

i think that what i really love about my busa is the raw power as well as the multiple mods that i can make according to riding preference.

we have a great platform for a reasonable rate.:thumbsup:

If one looks at one bike model only and discount the rest of the manufacturers range of models, there is nothing similar to the Busa and the ZX14. The BMW K1300 S is probably the closest.

So in short, for versatile riding, including sport touring and superbike performance on the street with some two-up at times, the Busa is still my 1st choice.

I wasn't trying to say anything about the Busa, it's clearly one of the best bikes ever. But so is the CBR1000RR and the GSXR1000 but they all had their time. The question is always what's next.

Honestly, the Busa is the only bike for me (big power, simplicity, reasonable comfort) so I'm really watching all the technology with interest but not with plans to buy. Maybe that's the problem, winning the tech wars doesn't mean winning the sales wars.

I wasn't trying to say anything about the Busa, it's clearly one of the best bikes ever. But so is the CBR1000RR and the GSXR1000 but they all had their time. The question is always what's next.

Honestly, the Busa is the only bike for me (big power, simplicity, reasonable comfort) so I'm really watching all the technology with interest but not with plans to buy. Maybe that's the problem, winning the tech wars doesn't mean winning the sales wars.

Agree. See my earlier post.
I don't think it will take much for Suzuki to elevate the GSX-R1000 to the top of the pack again, or perhaps with a V-4. They seem to indicate they will be back in 2014, financials being tight this year.

As far as 1000cc bikes the Honda 1000 by far is the best all round bike! Yeah the BMW is faster but talking to other engine builders they say the BMW has issues! As far as the BUSA its is hands down the BEST MOTOR EVER BUILT! Spend what it cost to buy a new bike in your GEN1 or GEN2 AND NOTHING ON THE ROAD OR THE TRACK CAN BEAT YOU! What bike can you ride on the street with over 300 hp everyday? Only one the TRUE KING OF SUPER BIKES THE HAYABUSA!:bowdown:

I would love to see Suzuki come out with a bike that is much like the Concourse. There is all out comfort with speed.That will be my next purchase in a few years when my age creeps up on me. I believe you are correct to say that Ducati has the best all around pic of bikes though. The price of there new Panigale is not out of line at all for what you get. Look at the price of some of these other brands. 12 to 15,000 is the price now a days.

Also when you look at Ducati you get SS brake lines, Brembo mono block brakes, Ohlins steering damper, Ohlins shocks. That's all top shelf stuff and it's really bolt-on. Any manufacturer could do it. For awhile Honda made some low volume money no option type bikes but none of the other Japanese guys do that - seems to be a European thing.

I don't count HD because they are selling a culture and the technology is already 50 years old. It's not like they look to advance the state of motorcycling with a new model.......

I'd say Harley Davidson:thumbsup:

The bikes look good real good and their sales figures show it:thumbsup:

If I could magically snap my fingers and have any franchise, it would certainly be HD.
But if I could magically snap my fingers and have any BIKE I wanted, it would definitelyu NOT be an HD.

Honda, hands down.

Reliability and performance is all there.

Harley Davidson is just a brand, their bikes are trash. Yamaha and Suzuki make WAY better cruisers.

Back