Who’s Riding Today? ME!!!

I put 40 miles on the Busa and took the same route and added 40 to my Harley. I am trying to get both to 1k so they are broken in and serviced. I bought the Harley on June 30th and the Busa on July 5th...

I already did an oil change on both at 500 miles. Busa is more fun to ride but I can carry a lot on the Harley. Maybe I should have got and FJR1300...lol.

It's 7:40am and I've been notified by my wing man there's a ride on today with another 6 BMW riders (mostly old farts on GS's) to Kaikoura and return. 450kms return for me.
One problem . . . it was a -3deg frost here and is only going to be 2degC at 9am when I need to saddle up and get outta Dodge, so to speak.
It's blue sky and very very chilly here. The frost on the ground looks like a thin layer of snow.
IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

Not good.
Too cold.
Call me names, I don't care, my fingers tell me "Dooooooon't do it!!!!"
There's always another (warmer) day! :thumbsup:

It's 7:40am and I've been notified by my wing man there's a ride on today with another 6 BMW riders (mostly old farts on GS's) to Kaikoura and return. 450kms return for me.
One problem . . . it was a -3deg frost here and is only going to be 2degC at 9am when I need to saddle up and get outta Dodge, so to speak.
It's blue sky and very very chilly here. The frost on the ground looks like a thin layer of snow.
View attachment 1584224

View attachment 1584225

View attachment 1584226

Not good.
Too cold.

I ride all winter but stay in the 30's and 40's now days. I used to ride down in the twenties until I got to work one day and was shaking uncontrollably (hypothermia).

Enjoy you brisk ride. I was wondering about the Busa tires and if they are ok to ride in the winter. Some cars have summer tires and they don't recommend driving them below 30 degrees are somewhere around there...

I ride all winter but stay in the 30's and 40's now days. I used to ride down in the twenties until I got to work one day and was shaking uncontrollably (hypothermia).

Enjoy you brisk ride. I was wondering about the Busa tires and if they are ok to ride in the winter. Some cars have summer tires and they don't recommend driving them below 30 degrees are somewhere around there...
Riding in the 20's F is a risk with ice on the road.
I NEVER ride in those conditions, ever slipped on ice? Not good, instant downage.
As for tyres, I've never heard of summer/winter tyres for a road bike.
I just buy Michelin Pilot Power 3's, they have never let me down.

Riding in the 20's F is a risk with ice on the road.
I NEVER ride in those conditions, ever slipped on ice? Not good, instant downage.
As for tyres, I've never heard of summer/winter tyres for a road bike.
I just buy Michelin Pilot Power 3's, they have never let me down.

I only road my bike when it was dry. I did crash on ice in a car twice in Detroit when I was younger...
I'm glad it is cool to ride on the Busa tires in cold weather.

View attachment 1584224

View attachment 1584225

View attachment 1584226

Not good.
Too cold.
PUSSY :poke::lol:

I ride year round but usually 40 degrees is the bottom. We get that here off and on all the winter. I got some heated gear but because you are leaned over and air goes down the collar and it was almost colder than no gear! I got a tip to put on the heated jacket and then a tight tee shirt over that to seal in the heat. Works like a charm and I was all warm and cozy.

My heated liner go directly over my regular clothing and then buried under leather chaps, my winter riding jacket, and a heavy rain jacket. My hands get colder than anything else.

My heated liner go directly over my regular clothing and then buried under leather chaps, my winter riding jacket, and a heavy rain jacket. My hands get colder than anything else.

Maybe try some heated gloves. I won a pair of Tourmaster electric gloves some years back. They’re long gauntlet style with a small thermostat control on top of the hand. I wired them to the battery and when not in use the pigtail is tucked under the seat. To use them I run the lead wire between the liner and the jacket bottom and then up the outer sleeve. Just plug in, put the gloves on and set the temp. Even off, the gloves are great winter gloves. Good investment if you ride and get cold hands. With these, no more cold hands.

Maybe try some heated gloves. I won a pair of Tourmaster electric gloves some years back. They’re long gauntlet style with a small thermostat control on top of the hand. I wired them to the battery and when not in use the pigtail is tucked under the seat. To use them I run the lead wire between the liner and the jacket bottom and then up the outer sleeve. Just plug in, put the gloves on and set the temp. Even off, the gloves are great winter gloves. Good investment if you ride and get cold hands. With these, no more cold hands.

I had glove liners that worked well. They plug right in to my jacket liner and heated up well but my hands would still get a bit cold. I cant do really thick gloves. Not a fan of limited hand movement.

Try heated grips. I have heated gloves and I usually wear them but don't turn them on, just use the heated grips. The heated gloves are bulky but not to the point of being a problem. Heat is a lot of juice to draw on the Busa, so be careful or if you are really serious about winter riding you should consider upgrading the system. I generally just do quick fix rides on the Busa in the cold, so I don't use the full gear (usually gloves and jacket. I wear ski socks in the boots and my legs just hug that 190 hp heated sitting between them!

Couple things people overlook for winter riding. First is air temp. You need to know this at all times. 39 degrees is the magic number and at that point start looking for ice (or water, as ice freezes from the road up and ice with water on it is slicker than oil on the road!). Also, you need a volt meter. When you are drawing huge power keep an eye on things. Third is cover the head. It's just like running, you lose a lot of heat from the head. Also fog. You need a pinlock shield or something that doesn't fog.

I was just having a giggle coz all you guys are probably sweltering in your northern hemisphere summer, and all you're talkin about is winter riding and tips on how to stay warm :thumbsup:
I really enjoy listening to y'all and all the knowledge shared re riding, gear, clothing, tyres etc etc goes on and on.
This forum is awesome guys, thanks :beerchug:

Try heated grips. I have heated gloves and I usually wear them but don't turn them on, just use the heated grips. The heated gloves are bulky but not to the point of being a problem. Heat is a lot of juice to draw on the Busa, so be careful or if you are really serious about winter riding you should consider upgrading the system. I generally just do quick fix rides on the Busa in the cold, so I don't use the full gear (usually gloves and jacket. I wear ski socks in the boots and my legs just hug that 190 hp heated sitting between them!

Couple things people overlook for winter riding. First is air temp. You need to know this at all times. 39 degrees is the magic number and at that point start looking for ice (or water, as ice freezes from the road up and ice with water on it is slicker than oil on the road!). Also, you need a volt meter. When you are drawing huge power keep an eye on things. Third is cover the head. It's just like running, you lose a lot of heat from the head. Also fog. You need a pinlock shield or something that doesn't fog.

I use a Turtle Fur balaclava. Comfy and keeps the noggin warm. I will be doing heated grips and will be doing an electrical overhaul before winter.

I rode from Poughkeepsie ny to Syracuse, ny…. around 250 miles.... in March one year.... I left Poughkeepsie around 3 or 4 pm around 55-60 degrees..... I got caught in a major traffic jam... when I got to Syracuse it was 8:45 pm ….. by this time it was 20 degrees and started to snow.... I almost soiled myself...… anyhow.. I stopped at a rest area and I couldn't stop shaking..... went inside to pee.... and then i started to freak out because I couldn't find my helmet..... I started yelling at random strangers DEMANDING my helmet be returned.... WHERE THE HELL WAS MY HELMET! come to find out the helmet was propped up on top of my head the entire time.... I guess I lost feeling even in my face...…

Back