white or red LED lights...

mgnsn24

Registered
I'm having a license plate bracket made custom. I always thought the license plate had to be lit up with white lights. Well, heres my dillema. I was told that no white light can be seen from the back of the bike. So the person insisted on using red to light up the plate. i think red would look sick but I am alos thinking this is going to bring me much unwanted hassle. Chime in please to let me know what you all think.

Check with the DMV where you live, some states have goofy laws when it comes to the different colored lights on tags, body kits, ground effect kits, etc...

Most states have problems with red and blue lights because they are on emergency vehicles (ambulance, state patrol, law enforcement, fire department).

The white light law to the rear does not apply to the license plate. Use common sense here. All vehicles have a tag lamp from the factory. A small LED or LED bolt lights in white works. RED light for a tag probably will not comply with most state laws. It will not here. Has to be a white light without glare, no neon lamps.

I agree using white license plate bolt lights. I'm using them on mine. You cant see the bulb from the rear and they light up the plate nicely.

by going w/ red, you're wanting attention, sometimes the attention you get , is not the kinda you want..............LEO

Yeah white lights are the probably the only "legal" color to have for your license plate lights it all or at least most states as that's how pretty much every vehicle comes from the factory.

I ride around with these on in NY, never had an issue

SANY0662.jpg

Back