White House Lane splitting petition nationwide

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
"Linky"

There seems to be some sort of an effort to make lane splitting legal across the country. I'm not sure if this is worth the effort but thought I'd post it up. I signed it.

We need this.

Thank you for signing this petition!

You've successfully signed the petition "Allow motorcycle lane sharing on all public roads". Your signature has been verified and counted.

I think of lane splitting as simply "Stupid". ppl around here change lanes as much as they blink their eyes so they can get where there going 30 seconds faster smh and no one uses turn signals so yes if it was a law you might not be the one cited ull just be the one DEAD!

there is a reason EVERY other state does not allow it and thats because most states have common sense when writing laws. I really can't think of anything more stupid and dangerous to do other then splitting lanes during traffic. ur literally putting ur life in the hands of some 18 yr old chic texting while she changes lanes and crushes you into the adjacent car. then say "oops".

but I did sign....

No way I lane split but I will sign it if you guys are for it.

I agree with you! I just don't have much faith with cage drivers in regular road situations....much less with me chugging between them. But yea, I'll sign it too so folks can choose to or not.

I think of lane splitting as simply "Stupid". ppl around here change lanes as much as they blink their eyes so they can get where there going 30 seconds faster smh and no one uses turn signals so yes if it was a law you might not be the one cited ull just be the one DEAD!

there is a reason EVERY other state does not allow it and thats because most states have common sense when writing laws. I really can't think of anything more stupid and dangerous to do other then splitting lanes during traffic. ur literally putting ur life in the hands of some 18 yr old chic texting while she changes lanes and crushes you into the adjacent car. then say "oops".

but I did sign....

Depends on how you use it.

With lane splitting, when there is a traffic jam, you can continue to ride your bike. You don't need to be doing 70 mph - just go 10-15 miles an hour and it's pretty damn safe.

Also when you're at a traffic light, you don't need to sit behind a car - so when the guy behind you isn't paying attention, you won't be crushed between two vehicles.

No way I lane split but I will sign it if you guys are for it.

but I did sign....

I agree with you! I just don't have much faith with cage drivers in regular road situations....much less with me chugging between them. But yea, I'll sign it too so folks can choose to or not.

For the most part, I agree with the above sentiments. I will recognize the exception in the event that traffic is moving under 5 mph or completely stopped. Even then, MY speed differential will be no more than 10 mph. And, to date, I've never actually done any lane splitting.

And the idea of "lane sharing" could very well backfire by providing other vehicles with the idea that motorcycles by definition are ALWAYS sharing lanes, resulting in cagers initiating that "sharing" and not respecting motorcycles rights to a full lane space.

Risk vs reward: It's a whole lotta risk for very little gain.

I did accident reconstruction for 5 years and I can assure you one can die at a 15 mph impact. seen it happen at least 3 separate times. so if u wanna put ur life in the hands of some idiot in a cage who doesn't give a rats ass about anyone other then themselves then have at it....

how much time do u really think u save by splitting lane? 5 minutes maybe? hardly worth losing ur life or possibly a limb over 5 minutes.

I don't sit behind a car at a traffic light anyway. that is not splitting lanes cause ur not a moving vehicle so ur point is moot.

bottom line is the only benefit of splitting lanes is saving a little time. I'm in no hurry to die!

Depends on how you use it.

With lane splitting, when there is a traffic jam, you can continue to ride your bike. You don't need to be doing 70 mph - just go 10-15 miles an hour and it's pretty damn safe.

Also when you're at a traffic light, you don't need to sit behind a car - so when the guy behind you isn't paying attention, you won't be crushed between two vehicles.

I signed and verified, but the count didn't go up. I hope it's just a delay, and not a bug in the system.

OK, never mind. The count went up by 18 after a few minutes, so I guess the count is updated every few minutes and not per individual response - makes sense.

I did accident reconstruction for 5 years and I can assure you one can die at a 15 mph impact. seen it happen at least 3 separate times. so if u wanna put ur life in the hands of some idiot in a cage who doesn't give a rats ass about anyone other then themselves then have at it....

how much time do u really think u save by splitting lane? 5 minutes maybe? hardly worth losing ur life or possibly a limb over 5 minutes.

I don't sit behind a car at a traffic light anyway. that is not splitting lanes cause ur not a moving vehicle so ur point is moot.

bottom line is the only benefit of splitting lanes is saving a little time. I'm in no hurry to die!

You still missed what I'm saying. Cager isn't going anywhere in stop and go traffic. He's stuck between other cars and has no place to go. If there are gaps and traffic is moving slowly, then it needs to be treated like an intersection where you must keep an eye out.

You still missed what I'm saying. Cager isn't going anywhere in stop and go traffic. He's stuck between other cars and has no place to go. If there are gaps and traffic is moving slowly, then it needs to be treated like an intersection where you must keep an eye out.
if ppl rode at 5 mph id say its a good thing vs. being stuck and going no where but the reality is no one rides that slow and before u know ur doing 15-20 mph and then some turns in front of u and BAM! simply not worth it.

like stated above the reward does not outweigh the risk. whats the reward? saving 5 minutes in ur commute? BFD! the risk is ur life or limb. but hey, just like helmets. ppl can make excuses all day long why they don't wear them and ppl can make excuses all day long why splitting lanes is a good idea. its a bad idea which is why its illegal everywhere in the country other then cali.

Lane splitting has been shown to be safer for motorcyclists.

Even the AMA supports it:

Lane Splitting

The American Motorcyclist Association places significant emphasis on motorcyclei operator and passenger safety. On every type of public roadway, motorcyclists encounter challenges from other roadway users and are constantly vigilant to unsafe conditions around them.

One of the recommendations in the National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety (NAMS)2 is: “Study the safety implications of lane splitting.” In support of this recommendation, the report states:

“A motorcycle’s narrow width can allow it to pass between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars on roadways where the lanes are wide enough to offer an adequate gap. This option can provide an escape route for motorcyclists who would otherwise be trapped or struck from behind. There is evidence (Hurt, 1981) that traveling between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars (i.e., lane splitting) on multiple-lane roads (such as interstate highways) slightly reduces crash frequency compared with staying within the lane and moving with other traffic.

“Although lane splitting is allowed in just a few areas of the United States, notably California, it appears to be worthy of further study because it offers a means of reducing congestion in addition to possible safety benefits. It is widely used in many other countries.”

In a statement issued by the Motorcycle Industry Council in 2011, the trade group states: “In full consideration of the risks and benefits of lane splitting, the Motorcycle Industry Council supports state laws that allow lane splitting under reasonable restrictions.”

GNBRETT, sometimes I do split, sometimes I don't - it all depends on how comfortable I am in that particular point in time. Of course, I scan every car I am about to pass on both sides, and continuously perform risk assessment. If I don't feel comfortable, I slow down or stop. In the past, after riding full day out in the country and coming back home, I would encounter miles and miles of crawling traffic (Hutchinson Pkwy, for example). If not for lane splitting, I would be sitting there in full gear during summer heat, and with my left hand killing me.

This could be done safely, and I would leave it up to the riders to make such decision, while at the same time educating car drivers about it. The reality of life is that although it is deemed illegal, vast majority of riders do split lanes already, and even a LEO might let you go on occasion.

It was illegal here (in Australia) too.
Only recently became legal in the NSW State and soon to be legal up here in Qld too.

We have had some good moves recently, no more tickets for short (cut down) rear guards,
we still pay rego (annual road tax) but no longer have to display an ugly label,

We also get cheap half price annual road tax for bikes registered as single seat that have
no rear seat or foot pegs and we can self-certify with no official inspection.

The controversial one here is the banning in Qld of back patch "Outlaw" clubs such as
Hells Angels / Banditos / FINKS / Mongols etc. lots of arrests and raids.

Good luck with you lane splitting laws, hope its go's well.

I wonder if you lane split at a light and then the light turns green are there going to be races with the car that you pulled up next to?
I sure not all people would welcome that and maybe even be jealous of bikes being able to take cuts - so to speak.

With over 90,000 votes needed by 1-1-15 I'm not sure if it will get there, to even be considered. Time will tell.

oh, operating down the highway in heavy traffic riding in-between 4000 lbs vehicles is now safe? LMAO! safer for who exactly? the guy who gets clipped when someone changes lanes cause he's not expecting a motorcycle to be operating in HIS lane? you can post all links you want till ur hands get tired but it doesn't change the fact that if it was safe it wud be recognized by every state. its not. its recognized by (1) state.

have you ever seen what someone looks like wen they split lanes and get crushed by the car changing lanes? I have. on many occasions and several will never walk again and one is DEAD so you go ahead and split lanes if ur little heart feels that it needs to safe (5) minutes in ur commute but when ur head get split open as well just remember this what a great idea it was.

Lane splitting has been shown to be safer for motorcyclists.

Even the AMA supports it:

Lane Splitting

The American Motorcyclist Association places significant emphasis on motorcyclei operator and passenger safety. On every type of public roadway, motorcyclists encounter challenges from other roadway users and are constantly vigilant to unsafe conditions around them.

One of the recommendations in the National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety (NAMS)2 is: “Study the safety implications of lane splitting.” In support of this recommendation, the report states:

“A motorcycle’s narrow width can allow it to pass between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars on roadways where the lanes are wide enough to offer an adequate gap. This option can provide an escape route for motorcyclists who would otherwise be trapped or struck from behind. There is evidence (Hurt, 1981) that traveling between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars (i.e., lane splitting) on multiple-lane roads (such as interstate highways) slightly reduces crash frequency compared with staying within the lane and moving with other traffic.

“Although lane splitting is allowed in just a few areas of the United States, notably California, it appears to be worthy of further study because it offers a means of reducing congestion in addition to possible safety benefits. It is widely used in many other countries.”

In a statement issued by the Motorcycle Industry Council in 2011, the trade group states: “In full consideration of the risks and benefits of lane splitting, the Motorcycle Industry Council supports state laws that allow lane splitting under reasonable restrictions.”

Doesn't the car become a small object in the mirror just a couple of seconds after the light turned green?:whistle:

As I kept checking the count and it wasn't changing after I voted and confirmed... after a few minutes the count went up by 18. So, let's assume similar frequency of votes, and let's assume that as more riders get involved the more the frequency would increase. So, considering those two pieces of information I would guesstimate that on average we get 20 votes every 4 minutes, or 5 votes per minute. With 25 days left, that would be 25 days x 24 hours x 60 minutes x 5 votes = 180,000 votes.

Of course, this is only an educated guess which could be significantly off, but I think it shows that it is realistic to get another 97,000 votes or so by the deadline. So, let's get to work and spread the word...

Lane splitting has to be done with the utmost caution. Stopped traffic is best. Cars side by side moving slowly are good also as they normally

don't run into each other in slow traffic. I love it when the CHP officer on his motorcycle passes me while splitting lanes. I jump right in behind him and enjoy the respect he gets when

people realize the "ticket machine" just passed them. :laugh: The bulk of the time when splitting is spent covering the front brake and watching heads and everything else that poses a threat.

Years ago in the Bay area somewhere I must have split over 3000 cars in one segment of my journey while going to a jobsite.

Traffic was backed up and stopped for miles and I was grateful I didn't take the car.

Out here in socal lots of people move over and allow you more room as they see your coming up from behind.

I don't like splitting lane normally... it just beats sitting there and not moving.

Back