Whining

TurboR

Registered
Yesterday, I fired up the bike, and for the first time since owning it I noticed a high pitched whine. I've never heard this before. It kinda sounds like when the fuel pump primes itself only constantly.

It was in the 90s yesterday for the first time.

I read about FMU whine, but does this mean mine is on the way out?

Nope it doesn't. Mine does it every now and then. Most of the time I turn the bike off and restart and it goes away.

Nope it doesn't. Mine does it every now and then. Most of the time I turn the bike off and restart and it goes away.

Alright, just wanna make sure my baby isn't starved for fuel or something. I need to invest in a fuel pressure gauge that's actually visible like my boost gauge.

Yesterday, I fired up the bike, and for the first time since owning it I noticed a high pitched whine. I've never heard this before. It kinda sounds like when the fuel pump primes itself only constantly.

It was in the 90s yesterday for the first time.

I read about FMU whine, but does this mean mine is on the way out?

If it is the dreaded FMU whine - and it continues - you need to take it apart, lubricate the piston shaft with never seize, put it back together and go do a wheely!:beerchug:

If it is the dreaded FMU whine - and it continues - you need to take it apart, lubricate the piston shaft with never seize, put it back together and go do a wheely!:beerchug:

Thanks for the info as always... I believe that this may be my issue. If so I'll give it a day or two and tackle the job on the weekend. Will my tune be thrown out of whack by taking this apart?

Nah,
Mine doesn't sound anything like that. It's more a powerline / electrical transformer hum.

Get the fuel pressure gage first, know what pressure your flowing before you take the FMU apart. Once you change the pressure it can change the tune.

Get the fuel pressure gage first, know what pressure your flowing before you take the FMU apart. Once you change the pressure it can change the tune.

Absolutely - check your idling fuel pressure - make sure the FMU is returned to this exact number; also, check your bleed screw - see how many turns "out" it is - make sure it stays there!:laugh:

Back