WHICH TURBO????

dolilind

Registered
Looking to do a turbo kit in very near future, but not sure which company? Velocity, Hahn, or Mr. turbo.
Im looking for the most power that could technically be run on the street and somwhAT
Anyone got any suggestions?

I would forget hahn also. There are better products out there.... you can pretty much run as much power on the street as your budget will allow.... well up to around 600+ hp or so
super.gif

(jjmetheny @ Jul. 10 2007,17:55) RCC
for the street +1
ain't the cheapest but ain't the most expensive... still has good tech service too.  
beerchug.gif

stick with something realistic like <=300hp. after that your talking alot more $$$, boost controller, race gas, etc. I wouldn't consider it a "street" package.

I have RCC and it is working good now. Had some issues, but the issues were related to motorhead... Richard, the owner of RCC, is a real nice guy though and is easy to get a hold of.

Velocity is a great setup, good service, and good parts... Last time I priced them RCC and Velocity were very similar in price.

Above 300 you're doing engine work. Most tune for 250 for the street. I've never owned a turbo, but have read extensively about them and talked to owners. I've seen several 700+ turbos written about here. That just blows my mind. I guy that ran 235 MPH at Maxton reportedly ran 400 HP. He had trouble hooking up in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I couldn't imagine 700.

(dadofthree @ Jul. 11 2007,03:23) Above 300 you're doing engine work. Most tune for 250 for the street. I've never owned a turbo, but have read extensively about them and talked to owners. I've seen several 700+ turbos written about here. That just blows my mind. I guy that ran 235 MPH at Maxton reportedly ran 400 HP. He had trouble hooking up in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I couldn't imagine 700.
My 2 cents...

1. I agree, the more extreme you go, the less reliable it will be.

2. I think the most bullet proof setup is stage 2 with secondaries and WITH engine mods, but only running conservative boost levels between 12-15 PSI on pump gas.

The engine internals will make it a little more robust if things go wrong. The stock engine blows up quick if everything isn't absolutely perfect. They say the pistons are good to 450HP, but people are burning them all the time when things aren't perfect.

RCC uses a garrett comp. Not sure what velocity uses.

(Cloud9 @ Jul. 11 2007,10:flamethrowing:) 2. I think the most bullet proof setup is stage 2 with secondaries and WITH engine mods, but only running conservative boost levels between 12-15 PSI on pump gas.
IMO: Secondaries are best so you don't mess with those crappy mechanical so called FMU/Regulator. It also allows you to really tune things alot more precise throughout the revs and boost.

I like the intercoolers for the street. (can't lower the front though) Helps keep inlet temps down and makes things more reliable/safe. 12-15lbs of peak boost should be your street limit unless you've got a very good reliable gas station that you always fill at. (sometimes you can be out ridding in the middle of no where and your only choice is el-crap-o gasoline which can end up causing some losses in aluminium (pistons))

you should at least swap the head gasket no matter what turbo kit you go with and make sure everything is up to spec.

I've only messed with motorheads ghettos kits and Rich's RCC kits so I can't speak much on Velocity kits. I've seen 'em, but never got to really touch 'em.

(Commuta_Busa @ Jul. 11 2007,23:35)
(Cloud9 @ Jul. 11 2007,10
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) 2. I think the most bullet proof setup is stage 2 with secondaries and WITH engine mods, but only running conservative boost levels between 12-15 PSI on pump gas.
IMO: Secondaries are best so you don't mess with those crappy mechanical so called FMU/Regulator. It also allows you to really tune things alot more precise throughout the revs and boost.

I like the intercoolers for the street. (can't lower the front though) Helps keep inlet temps down and makes things more reliable/safe. 12-15lbs of peak boost should be your street limit unless you've got a very good reliable gas station that you always fill at. (sometimes you can be out ridding in the middle of no where and your only choice is el-crap-o gasoline which can end up causing some losses in aluminium (pistons))

you should at least swap the head gasket no matter what turbo kit you go with and make sure everything is up to spec.

I've only messed with motorheads ghettos kits and Rich's RCC kits so I can't speak much on Velocity kits. I've seen 'em, but never got to really touch 'em.
My old buddy had velocity stage 3 and I was there during the entire installation of both my kit and his velocity kit...

Velocity is a damn good kit and had great parts...

1. Header/Turbo came pre-esembled.
2. Dump pipe was 1 piece, NOT multiple pieces welded together.
3. Fuel Computer was bad and Barry overnighted a new one with no problems.
4. Fuel map was great... Right out of the box with no dyno time, it ran real good...

I like my kit, but I have to say, Velocity makes a damn good kit... If you really have the bucks and want to go premium, you can buy NLR. Their setups are a work of art...
biggrin.gif

I never really mention Seb's kits only because they're the highest price with the what I feel is the highest quality. I don't even consider it a kit but as a custom turbo system. His are no joke but yo've got to have deeep pockets.
super.gif

He has some really good products on the market AMS-, TIC, etc but the costs are just to much for the majority. I consider his products more for a select market.
bowdown.gif

Velocity is a board sponsor. I've been thinking of one of their kits for a while.

Good luck in your decision.

Back