Which Turbo System??

DStroyer

Registered
Im ready to purchase the turbo system for our project bike. Ive researched and researched turbos and what needs to be done to achieve what we are looking for. I like both the Hahn and Velocity kits available. Both stage II kits will work. Has anyone had any expierience with either of these company's, and their product?

Any information you folks can offer up will be appreciated!! Thanks in advance,

Gary

DO NOT go with HAHN!!!! There are waaaaaay better kits out there! Velocity is one of them.

consider some other kits also.

ghetto
mc express
anderson
NLR

Thanks for the input guys. I did alot of research last night on the companys you listed. Velocity racing is where I am going. I spoke with them this morning, and I have no reason to doubt them.

Thanks again,

Gary

Go with Velocity for the money... I have ghetto and have had nothing but problems with it since I got it... My buddy's velocity has been very stable, good support, and at leat you will be able to ride it with a good map when you get it... I have been working on my bike now for 3 years trying to get her up to where she should be and I am still a little ways out... If I don't get her up by this spring, I am going to either part it out or sell the bike and cut my loses...

Cloud

Cloud,

Sorry to hear about the problems your having. Thats an awful lot of money to part with and never get the bugs worked out!!

My budget for the motor modifications and turbo combined was 8 grand. It looks as if Im going to blow that by 2 grand with the motor mods needed for strength. I really like the piggy back injector system that Velocity uses. The idea of having a completely seperate fuel mapping computer is very appealing, over tearing apart the stock injectors and rail, then relying on a power commander to do the job.

The good news is, I was aiming for a true 300hp out of this package, and it looks as if it will be capable of close to 400!! The reason the budget is being blown is due to the dual ball bearing turbo they will build along with the water injection system. They say that turbo is good to over 500hp, but I have no intentions of ever taking it that high. Im 36 and would like to see 37. I know alot of these company's claim 300hp out of a stage I with no engine mods what so ever, but that is obviously BS. I would rather be safe than sorry and broke!

Gary

(Cloud9 @ Nov. 01 2006,11:43) Go with Velocity for the money... I have ghetto and have had nothing but problems with it since I got it... My buddy's velocity has been very stable, good support, and at leat you will be able to ride it with a good map when you get it...  I have been working on my bike now for 3 years trying to get her up to where she should be and I am still a little ways out... If I don't get her up by this spring, I am going to either part it out or sell the bike and cut my loses...

Cloud
why are you having so many problems?

Yea, I bought the Ghetto Stage 2 and have about 12K invested with motorhead...

Why am I having so many problems... If you do a search on sh.org, you will find all my problems and complaints... After getting the last computer back from motorhead and it still doesn't quite work right, I have given up on him completely and haven't been back to his website since. He fixed the map to the point where it would pass the point where it used to stumble, but now it just freaks out about 8K and I am just done to say the least. Why didn't I put it on the dyno everyone asks.... well if I could get the freaking standard map to work right, maybe I could get a boost controller in there and get everything setup fully, but as it stands now, I will have to get her tuned at least twice; once to get this problem fixed and then again when I can get another boost controller that works because the MSBC-1 he sold me hsa NEVER worked and we have tried it on two bikes.

I worked with him for two years to try to get my stuff working right and after being dicked around for quite some time I have completely given up on him. The least he could have done is send me all the parts, but after missing a bunch of ****, getting the wrong plug for my secondary controller, not to mention not having the right maps, which I still don't have today, I have completely written him off....

I know a lot of people have claimed to have good luck with motorhead and I am not going to argue with anyone on this. All I know is I have 12K invested and I still don't have **** working right...

Like I said, if you search my posts on Sh.org, you should find plenty of details on WHY I am not happy and if that is not good enough for you, I am sure I saved some of my emails among other things.

I am not going to sit here and talk **** about him all the time, but I will warn others that things may not be what they seem. After all, I picked motorhead because of what others on his site have said about him. I wish I would have had better luck, but no dice.

If I can't get it working by the spring, I will have ghetto stage 2 intercooled for sale and those that beleive him are more then welcome to buy it from me or better yet... I would trade some straight up for a Velocity and that is all I got to say...
sad.gif

Goldenchild, I know you are a big fan of Dennis and I am not going to argue with you by no means and others obviously have had better luck then I have had, but then again, most buy his stage 1 kit which seems to work fine, but his more complex stuff, IE stage 2, etc... hasn't done **** for me...

If I could return his **** and get a fraction of what I have invested, I would give it up in a heartbeat and that is no lie because it has not been worth it. My buddy told me to go with Velocity and that is what he bought and he did all the mechanics on his bike as well as mine. His bike worked fine as soon as he got it together and hasn't had any problems with the turbo system so to speak once he got it running, but we have not been able to get mine working right and we have invested months of time going through it over and over and over again...

Dare I mention that the MSBC-1 he sent me has never worked and that was an extra 700 down the tubes and I will have to just eat that and buy another one...

Dennis and I just didn't make a connection and trying to get support out of him hasn't been easy for me or my mechanic. He doesn't talk clearly and abbreviates things to the point that what he stated often didn't even make sense to my mechanic or to me and my mechanic is top notch to say the least; you can find my mechanics credentials in one of my posts over in sh.org.

CLoud

You know what... I wasn't going to go through my horror story because I have been through it so many times its not even funny and I usually just get Sh!t talked by everyone as soon as I post my problems and everyone chimes in about how great he is and blah, blah, blah...

Here it goes...

My buddy and I 3 years ago decided to go turbo and he wanted to go race and I wanted to go stage 2 street. At the time, any feedback I EVER saw on motorhead was absolutely excellent and everyone on his site as well as this one was raving about his support, the quality of his work, not to mention his reasonable prices, although I paid the exact same price that I could have paid for a Velocity Stage 2 with wet injection.

I emailed motorhead on the intercooler stuff and I told him that I was wanting to do top speed and liked the idea of the intercooler and not having to refill wet injection, MY ONLY STIPULATION WAS THAT IT HAD TO BE LOWERABLE.

(Problem #1 arrises.)

I beleive I was the VERY first to buy his ghetto stage 2 kit and he stated that altough I would not be able to slam the bike, I wouldn't have any problems lowering it MY REQUIRED 1.25" The only thing I would have to do is do dual fanes, move the radiator spout, change fan switch location, and move radiator back as far as it would go... I did all this and on the first ride, I nearly recked when I tried to turn going slow and the intercooler was in the way to the point where I couldn't turn the handle bars enough to clear the turn, Not to mention that it rubbed the front tire still over the slighest and I do mean slightest dip. I ended up having to raise the bike to stock height which completely defeated the purpose of all that freaking work for moving the radiator back.

But... before the intercooler stuff came up, I received the kit from motorhead and I also ordered JE pistons, Carillro H-beam rods, and some other engine goodies from him to support my stage 2 platform.  

(Problem 2 arised.)

He never sent me a parts list, nor instructions for installation and at the time, there was no additional instructions and I can't beleive he was balz enough to tell me that the install was the same as ghetto stage 1 and to use those instructions. The problem arose when we are trying to get the turbo stuff installed and we are missing parts...!!!! More over, I had a lot of parts that were for stage 1 that didn't even go with my kit. I emailed him MANY TIMES to send me the oil pan barb among other things and after he sent me another turbo barb instead, I had to go looking for parts at the hardware store. I couldn't find the appropriate barbs I needed, so I ended up at the race shop spending big money for barbs and connectors.

This caused mass confusion without instructions or a part list, so we ended up using Velocity instructions to do the install... This guy didn't even tell me the gotcha about hooking up the secondary controller with the "blue/yellow" wire. HE TOLD ME NOTHING AND I COULD HAVE BLOWN THE ENGINE EASILY ON FIRST RUN. Don't forget I was the first one to buy this kit, so there was no one else to help other then him and we managed to get some good info. from Barry at Velocity that helped out.

(I think I saved all his emails, so I can prove anything I say, so before you question me, you better think twice because I have no problems posting emails and all the documentation I have saved up over the last 3 years.)

But the nightmare didn't end there... He originally sent me a secondary controller that had the built-in map sensor. Before I even got the bike together, he told me to send it back so that he could send me a better one. I received the new controller and installed it. When we finally got the bike running, naturally it didn't BOOST at all; it simply fell flat on its face and I sent the controller to Dennis to have him check the map and controller. He sent it back to me and said everything was good to go! So I gave it another shot and still no dice... About this time, we figured out that the blue/yellow wire was hooked up WRONG since we had to use velocity instructions. I changed the wiring and it still did the same thing. HE PROMISED ME THE MAP AND CONTROLLER WERE PERFECT AND THAT IT WAS MY MECHANIC THAT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED. I tried being real nice with him and after reinstalling everything twice, finally posting my mechanics credentails so everyone knew I had a descent mechanic, he tells me to send the controller back again.

When I get the controller back, he stated THAT I HAD THE WRONG FREAKING WIRING HARNESS FOR THE CONTROLLER!!! If that would be enough to make anyone mad, but the thing that really made me mad is that he was wrong again!!!!! It was the right harness and the new harness he sent me didn't make a bit of difference and I know it. He appeared to have changed the map though because it didn't stumble around 7K like it used to pluse it had some good pull up until it fell flat on its face again at about 8.5 grand.

All he could tell me is to put it on the dyno and get a different mechanic. I kept telling him that all I wanted was a descent map so that I could get the boost controller working, although since the day I got it, it just reads error code 01 and has never changed. (Map Sensor Bad Error.) After all the money I have invested, I didn't think it would be too much to ask for him to send me a descent map to get the boost controller working so I could get it dyno'd properly the first time.

After I got the controller back for the third time and it still isn't running right, I gave up on him. He just didn't want to take the time to help me out to get this stuff working right for me. At most, I have had no more then 20 minutes of phone talk time since I bought the kit and that just hasn't been enough get my problem trouble-shooted...

I am done to say the least and I am not going to fight with anyone about this... If someone made me a reasonable offer and wants to take their chances with my bike, I would be more then happy to sell it to you or trade you for something of comparable value.

After talking all this crap about my stuff which I paid 12K for, I am not going to ask anyone to pay top dollar for it, after all, what kind of guy would I be trying to sell someone else my headaches for top dollar when they can buy velocity and not have to worry about it.

Cloud

(Cloud9 @ Nov. 01 2006,01:43) Go with Velocity for the money... I have ghetto and have had nothing but problems with it since I got it... My buddy's velocity has been very stable, good support, and at leat you will be able to ride it with a good map when you get it... I have been working on my bike now for 3 years trying to get her up to where she should be and I am still a little ways out... If I don't get her up by this spring, I am going to either part it out or sell the bike and cut my loses...

Cloud

my ghetto was installed and tuned by dennis and has been running FLAWLESSLY for almost 2 yrs now.
beerchug.gif

alot of guys who've done their own install have had problems. To each his own but dennis has never screwed me and my bike runs perfect. Tech on SH.org installed his himself and blew his motor one of the first times out.

My opinion is if you're gonna mess with HIGH hp HIGH performance machines you better be prepared to dish out the cash or have a pro do the work. I have never regretted getting a ghetto. At the time I got mine the velocity kit was over a grand more than a ghetto kit.

(fstbusa @ Nov. 01 2006,10:48)
(Cloud9 @ Nov. 01 2006,01:43) Go with Velocity for the money... I have ghetto and have had nothing but problems with it since I got it... My buddy's velocity has been very stable, good support, and at leat you will be able to ride it with a good map when you get it...  I have been working on my bike now for 3 years trying to get her up to where she should be and I am still a little ways out... If I don't get her up by this spring, I am going to either part it out or sell the bike and cut my loses...

Cloud
who did the install??

my ghetto was installed and tuned by dennis and has been running FLAWLESSLY for almost 2 yrs now.  
beerchug.gif
Yea, maybe that is what it takes to get his stuff working right... He is the ONLY one good enough to work on his own stuff I guess....

After I established my mechanics credibility over on sh.org, NO ONE questioned my mechanic after that and unless Dennis has deleted my stuff, you will find it there, so trust me, it is not my mechanic.... ;)

No offence fst, but don't you just have the Stage 1? I have been away from the site for quite some time, so maybe you have upgraded since then...

The stage 2 intercooled is defiinetly not the same as the stage 1 dude... If all I had to do is use a PC, I am sure I wouldn't have had any issues...

noone was questioning your mechanic but hey.... not everyone can work on a ferarri just because they've worked on a corvette.....

(Cloud9 @ Nov. 01 2006,07:51)
(fstbusa @ Nov. 01 2006,10:48)
(Cloud9 @ Nov. 01 2006,01:43) Go with Velocity for the money... I have ghetto and have had nothing but problems with it since I got it... My buddy's velocity has been very stable, good support, and at leat you will be able to ride it with a good map when you get it... I have been working on my bike now for 3 years trying to get her up to where she should be and I am still a little ways out... If I don't get her up by this spring, I am going to either part it out or sell the bike and cut my loses...

Cloud
who did the install??

beerchug.gif
Yea, maybe that is what it takes to get his stuff working right... He is the ONLY one good enough to work on his own stuff I guess....

After I established my mechanics credibility over on sh.org, NO ONE questioned my mechanic after that and unless Dennis has deleted my stuff, you will find it there, so trust me, it is not my mechanic.... ;)

No offence fst, but don't you just have the Stage 1? I have been away from the site for quite some time, so maybe you have upgraded since then...

The stage 2 intercooled is defiinetly not the same as the stage 1 dude... If all I had to do is use a PC, I am sure I wouldn't have had any issues...
you're right. Just a stage 1. I understand using a separate fuel controller is totally different.

You are making it sound like your ONLY problem was the controller?

and the innercooler thing.... I WANTED to go with a cooler but everyone said you can't lower it at all unless you cut the front fender and run a 60 series tire. I drag race my bike quite often so I opted for h20 injection instead.

Yea, the controller I think has been the biggest source of my operations problems...

I was THE first to buy this kit with new style intercooler and at the time, no one had tried this new style intercooler in a lowering scenario EXCEPT for Dennis and obviously he got it wrong...

The thing that sucks, is that if he would have been honest with me to begin with AT LEAST on hte intercooler stuff, I could have made a better decision for myself and go wet injection so I could meet my requirements.

(Cloud9 @ Nov. 01 2006,08:06) Yea, the controller I think has been the biggest source of my operations problems...

I was THE first to buy this kit with new style intercooler and at the time, no one had tried this new style intercooler in a lowering scenario EXCEPT for Dennis and obviously he got it wrong...

The thing that sucks, is that if he would have been honest with me to begin with AT LEAST on hte intercooler stuff, I could have made a better decision for myself and go wet injection so I could meet my requirements.
that sucks to hear..... The sad part is there are very few people that have a bad run in with dennis.

Another thing I DID was wait till the second yr of turbos were done.

I was about to buy his first round he released a few yrs back but decided I better wait until they are proven and the bugs are all worked out before I go jumping in feet first.

No sense in being the guinnea pig
jump9.gif

(Cloud9 @ Nov. 01 2006,16:37) Goldenchild, I know you are a big fan of Dennis and I am not going to argue with you by no means and others obviously have had better luck then I have had, but then again, most buy his stage 1 kit which seems to work fine, but his more complex stuff, IE stage 2, etc... hasn't done **** for me...

CLoud
You don't know me very well if you believe what you typed....I have never had a problem with him/you but I know alot more about the issues,you've had that others have had also...I actually asked the post starter to contact me before he brought any kit so i could let him in on some real info about all the kits before he spends a dollar,cause as you know it's not all of what it seems...I would never argue with anybody more less you about much as only you know what you truly are going thru...my # is available if i can help you in any way...I'm nobodies FAN...HAHAHAHAHA  
jump9.gif
....I only try to help folks that want it and the truth to go with it...I will always be that way....

Call me tomorow and let's see what we might can do,if we can make something work your headaches will end.I'll be at the # below for a few more hours...If you don't wanna talk I can understand...
super.gif

Back