which throttle tuning tools?

b4thenite

Donating Member
Registered
I am about order a throttle body tuning tool. So far there seem to be two options. Either a MotionPro or an import from Britain called Morgan's Carb Tune. I beg of you wise gents of your precious opinions. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

looks like they are both mecury units... pick the best price.. these (nor any others) that use fluid levels for sync are all that "high tech" no need for them to be.. do not even need numbers...

There are DIY instructions to make your own as well...

I can't remember if MotionPro went "mercury-less" yet or not, but I have two thoughts on this---
stay away from anything with mercury---heard too many horror stories of the stuff blowing the engine if it accidentally gets sucked into the motor (I think most manufacturers have gone away from it because of environmental requirements anyway)...

Haven't used the MotionPro BUT I do OWN the Morgan Carbtune Kit--- my family got it for me about two years ago for about $130 or so shipping and all---:thumbsup:

I love mine- got it shipped fast, have had NO ISSUES at all with unit or the entire setup--- the unit uses solid pistons/bars to gauge the vacuum pressure-- highly accurate and a solid unit- It is a really good buy in my opinion- I was scared to do my own throttle sync's at first but after buyin this unit- it's a piece of cake- just sync'd mine the other day and he's runnin' top notch--- almost 48k on my '06 :thumbsup:

I have a synch tool that's older than most of us here. It's called a Uni-syn, my Dad had it in the early sixties and bought it used. God only knows how old it actually is. Works great. If you can find one I say snag it.

I can't remember if MotionPro went "mercury-less" yet or not, but I have two thoughts on this---
stay away from anything with mercury---heard too many horror stories of the stuff blowing the engine if it accidentally gets sucked into the motor

I can't remember how many times I've synced the carbs on my old bikes with my carb sticks and never had a problem.

I can't remember how many times I've synced the carbs on my old bikes with my carb sticks and never had a problem.

No offense to anybody or their "mechanical skills"--- but I know some that can use the mercury time and time again and never have problems---but there are some "less mechanically" inclined people that you might tell that to and they get a mercury set and "BLAM" they blow up their engine---- so I've learned to NEVER say yeah, no problem...use the mercury, you'll be fine... Afterwards, they might be coming back at you saying.....BUT YOU SAID.....

So, use what ever you are comfortable with---they will all do a great job but you gotta know what you are doing- I prefer my Morgan Carbtune--- I give it :thumbsup:

I have a synch tool that's older than most of us here. It's called a Uni-syn, my Dad had it in the early sixties and bought it used. God only knows how old it actually is. Works great. If you can find one I say snag it.

+1 and the Uni-Sync works great

No offense to anybody or their "mechanical skills"--- but I know some that can use the mercury time and time again and never have problems---but there are some "less mechanically" inclined people that you might tell that to and they get a mercury set and "BLAM" they blow up their engine---- so I've learned to NEVER say yeah, no problem...use the mercury, you'll be fine... Afterwards, they might be coming back at you saying.....BUT YOU SAID.....

So, use what ever you are comfortable with---they will all do a great job but you gotta know what you are doing- I prefer my Morgan Carbtune--- I give it :thumbsup:
whack the throttle and zing the motor? yea you get mecury down the tubes... never seen a blown motor from this however.. how did it blow the motor?

was a required device to work on the old volvo/bmw side drafts... (why I bought mine).. have not seen one used in some time :laugh:

Motion Pro no longer uses Mercury. I got one of the last, and they now use some other solution less toxic to human beings. I've also used a Unisyn, BOY that brings back memories... :oldcool: ... Fluid sync tools simply get you closer. The scare behind the Mercury is more hype than reality. The deal here is, I did a test connected to mine and I can get the mercury close to the top anywhere between 6500-8000 rpms.....but I still had inches between the rubber hoses. You have to tach the motor out to suck the mercury high enough to do motor injestion. They also give you restrictors that must be inserted in the rubber tubing for best safety.

Lastly, even Motion Pro tells you that if Mercury were to enter the engine you take it out and drive it at moderate speeds for no less than one half hour and mild rpms, and the Mercury will eventually come out the exhaust.....

The goof-balls that aren't inserting the restrictors, and then rolling the throttle wide open are the myth makers......

That person would probably be the same retard lubing his chain with the bike on and in gear too then complain when they lose a hand. Some people should not work on their own vehicles let alone drive them. I say let nature take its course.

was a required device to work on the old volvo/bmw side drafts... (why I bought mine).. have not seen one used in some time :laugh:
That's exactly why my Dad had one! He worked at the BMW/VW dealer in the area at the time, later went to Volvo. Then he went to a shop that specialized in the multi carb setups on Triumphs and the like.

That Unisyn has seen a lot of air go through it over the years, and I still use it myself on anything with multi carbs. Even synched a dual four barrel tunnel ram car with it. Used a velocity stack base, cut a piece of sheetmetal to fit the top then cut a hole big enough for the tool to fit. Glued the two pieces of metal together, instant four barrel adapter!

That person would probably be the same retard lubing his chain with the bike on and in gear too then complain when they lose a hand. Some people should not work on their own vehicles let alone drive them. I say let nature take its course.

I agree with you Oldschool--let nature take its course with those folks:whistle:

What I was trying to convey to b4thenite was to be careful if he did use mercury---not knocking it because I could use it too--
Back in '06 shortly after I had joined the .org here I was due a throttle sync and just remember doing some research on the "how-to" of doing it on the busa engine----in my searching I read some posts on here of some that had SOMEHOW sucked it in the engine or had known someone who did--- I thought that was pretty dumb of them too but it still got my attention....that's what I was saying... being new to throttle syncing THAT got my attention as one thing NOT TO DO when doing a throttle sync....:laugh:
I had a good friend of mine do my first sync for me and I learned from watching him, then got my own Carbtune and have been rolling on ever since:thumbsup:

That's exactly why my Dad had one! He worked at the BMW/VW dealer in the area at the time, later went to Volvo. Then he went to a shop that specialized in the multi carb setups on Triumphs and the like.

That Unisyn has seen a lot of air go through it over the years, and I still use it myself on anything with multi carbs. Even synched a dual four barrel tunnel ram car with it. Used a velocity stack base, cut a piece of sheetmetal to fit the top then cut a hole big enough for the tool to fit. Glued the two pieces of metal together, instant four barrel adapter!
The old SU series carbs were great... bit of ATF (for damper), carb clean and a sync tool... fixed about 90% of them.. makes me an old guy I guess.. :laugh:

The old SU series carbs were great... bit of ATF (for damper), carb clean and a sync tool... fixed about 90% of them.. makes me an old guy I guess.. :laugh:
I'm 36, so I guess I'm somewhere in between.

A couple of years ago a guy showed up with a 63 Vette, pretty plain 327 car. Ran like ass. I got in there, fixed the dwell, set the timing, got the carb straightened out, cleaned the plugs since we couldn't find any local. Young kid two years out of tech school came by and was amazed that not only did I know how to use a dwell meter but I had one similar to what his Grandad still uses on the old truck.

First time I've ever told someone to get off mah lawn!

Interesting thing is I had the Tech II programming a car for a driveability problem at the same time. World of difference separated by ten feet.

makes me an old guy I guess.. :laugh:

:laugh:
Me too.

old_edited.JPG

Back