Which master cylinder for single caliper setup?

deespeed99

Registered
I'm running 1 rotor/caliper up front and ordered a wave rotor for the front and rear and a SS brake line (rear already has one) but which master cylinder can I run for a single caliper setup? I've heard about the R1/R6 possibly fitting but after searching I haven't really found anything...

A friend of mine has a zx10 master for his single rotor setup on his gsxr1000. Works pretty good he tells me.

I have run a stock master, R1, GSXR 1000, and currently a ZX 10 in my 09 busa

Awesome, thanks! What year bikes?

Big E - You ever hit up Hooters on Thursday? I'd like to check out your setup....

Last edited:
Curious, whats the advantage? Weight?

Thanks

Busa brakes are a bit lacking in the first place. So, when people remove half of their brakes for cosmetic purposes :rofl: I'd imagine swapping to a better radial master cylinder helps pick up a bit of the slack.

The only advantages of removing half of your front braking system (I could think of) is making it easier to clean the wheel and check or fill the air.

Diego - Better brake feel from having a smaller diameter master cylinder. Don't quote me on the specifics but stock is around 19mm and most liter bikes are around 14-16mm.

Moloko - The advantages are more driven to drag racers. It has nothing to do with cosmetic for me it's about reducing rotational mass as well as static mass (caliper). A single caliper setup is more then enough stopping power for 1/4 mile runs.

The advantages are more driven to drag racers. It has nothing to do with cosmetic for me it's about reducing rotational mass as well as static mass (caliper). A single caliper setup is more then enough stopping power for 1/4 mile runs.
Ohhhh...NOW it makes sense. I have seen others asking about single caliper setups before and always assumed it was form over function. Wrong yet again apparently.

Ohhhh...NOW it makes sense. I have seen others asking about single caliper setups before and always assumed it was form over function. Wrong yet again apparently.

You're not necessarily wrong per-se, most of the time it is done on trailer queens to show off dis' custom wheelz yo! The dedicated drag bike is the rare breed that isn't normally seen outside of it's natural habitat of the drag strip hence in those cases it is done for weight reduction...

You're not necessarily wrong per-se, most of the time it is done on trailer queens to show off dis' custom wheelz yo! The dedicated drag bike is the rare breed that isn't normally seen outside of it's natural habitat of the drag strip hence in those cases it is done for weight reduction...

LOL! Stop being a hater! I use my bike all the time and hit up twisties every now and then as well as the drag strip (although I really can't keep pace in the curves lol)

With that being said I decided to do this mod tonight and I must say weight wise was much bigger then what most have posted. The rotor itself was 3.5lbs and the caliper, pads and bolts all added another 3-4lbs. All in all I dropped about 7lbs but more importantly the rotational drop was over 3lbs which is huge! The braking does suck and gosh forbid I need to stop immediately LOL! It's definitely not un-safe you just have to prepare and plan a lot more. I will definitely need to upgrade the rotor, install SS lines and possibly a new master.

LOL! Stop being a hater!...The braking does suck and gosh forbid I need to stop immediately LOL!

Lots of stories on here about cars turning left in front of a bike or cutting them off and stopping short. If you wanna add your name to that list be my guest. My personal opinion on the matter shouldn't sway you away from doing what you want, just don't expect sympathy from us when you rear end a car :whistle: I personally think that reducing your braking power (on a bike that is arguably lacking in that department to begin with, no less) to save a little rotational weight is like cutting off your foot to help you run faster...

ETA you would be better off spending that money on a GSXR 1K front end if you really want to drop weight and improve performance, aftermarket wheels would do the trick too...

Last edited:
Lots of stories on here about cars turning left in front of a bike or cutting them off and stopping short. If you wanna add your name to that list be my guest. My personal opinion on the matter shouldn't sway you away from doing what you want, just don't expect sympathy from us when you rear end a car :whistle: I personally think that reducing your braking power (on a bike that is arguably lacking in that department to begin with, no less) to save a little rotational weight is like cutting off your foot to help you run faster...

ETA you would be better off spending that money on a GSXR 1K front end if you really want to drop weight and improve performance, aftermarket wheels would do the trick too...

I won't add my name to that list because I give myself plenty of time and prepare for every situation I'm in even if there is a .0001% chance of it happening and even if I did it would be because I was doing something stupid and wouldn't expect sympathy. I definitely am not letting anyone's opinion sway me from it but I was looking for opinions on ways to improve braking because I knew it would be worse. Honestly even though it's worse, once I upgrade the master cylinder, SS line & a new rotor and possibly even the caliper the braking with a single caliper setup will be close if not better then older sport bikes from the early to late 90's...

PS. I'm already investing in BST wheels and every other possible weight saving mod I can do! :laugh:

LOL! Stop being a hater! I use my bike all the time and hit up twisties every now and then as well as the drag strip (although I really can't keep pace in the curves lol)

With that being said I decided to do this mod tonight and I must say weight wise was much bigger then what most have posted. The rotor itself was 3.5lbs and the caliper, pads and bolts all added another 3-4lbs. All in all I dropped about 7lbs but more importantly the rotational drop was over 3lbs which is huge! The braking does suck and gosh forbid I need to stop immediately LOL! It's definitely not un-safe you just have to prepare and plan a lot more. I will definitely need to upgrade the rotor, install SS lines and possibly a new master.

What did you do with the banjo bolt? Did you buy a new one? I'm thinking about this mod, but would like a little more info on the setup if you don't mind. Thanks! :beerchug:

What did you do with the banjo bolt? Did you buy a new one? I'm thinking about this mod, but would like a little more info on the setup if you don't mind. Thanks! :beerchug:

It's easy to do...

Drain the brake fluid...loosen the banjo bolts for both calipers while they are still on the bike...Remove the brake line that runs between both calipers...remove the throttle side caliper...Use the hose that was running to the throttle side caliper and run it along the top of the front fender and connect it to the clutch side caliper and re-use the banjo bolt from the clutch side caliper...tighten everything up and bleed your brakes and you're good to go! Make sure you have EBC HH or upgraded pads because even with them stopping is noticeably different and I can only imagine with stock pads what it would be like...

Back