Which chain breaker and riviter is the best?

SuedePflow

Registered
I just picked up a new EK 3D chain for my bike and had to get a breaker/riveter. I went with the Motion Pro PBR 08-0470. It got the job done, but not before the rivet peening attachment exploded into pieces. I plan to return it and I want to replace it with something that won't break next time I use it. Cost doesn't really matter. What do you guys recommend?

Motion Pro 08-70:
41JziThR3AL.jpg

I'm considering the RK UCT 4060, but it seems to be a similar design to the Motion Pro. I don't know if it's better made or not though: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087Y493A/?tag=hayabusamazon-20

And another consideration is the D.I.D.: Amazon.com: D.I.D Chain Cut and Rivet Tool KM500: Automotive

And I'm open to any other suggestions as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im with ya. Price is no option. You cant pay too much for the self assuredness of not losing a leg. I bought one of those POS ones from cycle gear for $35. Got me through one chain (press is bent) but I didn't use a caliper and I don't feel too good about it and I eyeball and spin that chain every time I get on or off it, doesn't feel good. I am not above making my own out of forged stuff if I have to.

I just picked up a new EK 3D chain for my bike and had to get a breaker/riveter. I went with the Motion Pro PBR 08-0470. It got the job done, but not before the rivet peening attachment exploded into pieces. I plan to return it and I want to replace it with something that won't break next time I use it. Cost doesn't really matter. What do you guys recommend?

Motion Pro 08-70:
41JziThR3AL.jpg

I'm considering the RK UCT 4060, but it seems to be a similar design to the Motion Pro. I don't know if it's better made or not though: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087Y493A/?tag=hayabusamazon-20

And another consideration is the D.I.D.: Amazon.com: D.I.D Chain Cut and Rivet Tool KM500: Automotive

And I'm open to any other suggestions as well.

I have the same one,but has been used at least a dozen times with no issues.Wish I would've gotten the Jumbo though,easier on the hand.

It is not you...they all break...look for one that you can buy replacement jaws / pins and just buy them at the same time...be carful who you loan it to as well or it will be a sorry dude it just broke scenario. Motion pro is a good product..perhaps you can contact them directly and get a few sets of the parts you need to save shipping costs. Did you grind off the head before pushing out the pins...might be a dumb question but just asking...the flaring of the pin does not require a bunch of torque. I broke my first one so I get it...live and learn

It pays to look at customer reviews. I remember reading the same complaints about that tool when i bought mine. I think mine is a bikemaster in a plastic case. Always worked perfectly

I was cautioned to not use any of those smaller chain breakers. Just pony up the dough and get a good, beefy one. The EK chain tool I have is great although it cost me an awful lot. I think I paid a couple hundred for it. You might find something similar for less but make sure it isn't one of those little ones. Those might work for a bicycle chain.

thumb_P1050243_1024.jpg

I see you mentioned riveting the connecting pin too tight. The EK chain I got came with spacers and rivet gauges to avoid this. I might have still over tightened it just a touch but I left it as is and it's been fine.

IDK if EK still provides these tools with a new chain but they were very reassuring being that I had never installed a chain before.

thumb_rvt.tst.good_1024.jpg

Back