WHEW close call....

Goatkart

Registered
This is one of those stories where the end is more important than what happens...

I had two new tires put on the busa today (q2's)... didnt think much of it, picked the bike back up and started the short jaunt for home (mile or two) it was all in town, and stop lights so i was never up to speed really..

Anyhow, the whole way home the bike feels waaaay off, just completly wrong..

She's sluggish, rear feels washy, just nothing is right... So i assume new tire jitters and just keep on towards home, take corners reeeeeaaaally slow and soft, not pushing anything, concentraiting on scrubbing in the tires and getting home safely..

Once i get towards home, there is a corner i know VERY well, and could take nearly blindfolded at this point, not blind, full vis, just a great corner for checking yourself... I can pull the corner so easily, i know whats me, and whats the bike when something is wrong...

So i take the corner softly, but confidently... i take it at maybe 25mph, and its a nice long left hand bank where the bike should just settle and take it without even a hiccup....

HOWEVER HOLY HELL the bike runs wide and feels like its washing out everywhere.. and she keeps running wide and washing front and rear..... my butt puckers but I complete the turn and instantly pull into the garage.... something obviously must be way off, either suspension was tweaked, or the tires are bad or something...

After checking everything over, i finally think, well, one last possible idea, tire pressure... but how could that be low, they just mounted the tires...

Pull out the old stick gauge to check quickly...

There was 13lbs of pressure in the front and rear tire.....

13!!!!

No wonder it was feeling all over the place... because it WAS all over the place...

I always check the work of others, oil level from changes, etc... but i felt confident in the workmanship in this case, so i let it slide this once...

MORAL OF THE STORY: just because you feel confident in the abilities of the shop you take your bike to... doesnt mean that the finally responsibility isnt in your hands...

CHECK THEIR WORK... check your tire pressures!

Air'd the bike up to 32 rear 31 front, now she drives like a dream again :thumbsup:

So you dissect brake levers for others but don't check your own air pressure :laugh:

J/K glad that was all it was and nothing happened.

Have you called the service manager yet to politely let him know of the issue and remind him how important it is to send a bike out that's "ready to ride" be "ready to ride"? Good way to kill someone...

I wonder how you side walls are now on them new tires...........

Glad you are ok. I just recently had the Q2s installed and love them. I hear they wear fast but I'm ok with that. As long as the two tires do a great job keeping the bike planted, I'm happy.

Thanks for the reminder and glad you're ok. That's one of the bad habits I'm getting into myself, not checking the basics before taking off

I'm glad your ok.. The last time I had tires changed the shop took it for a spin before I took the bike. Now that is what Im talking about. If something were wrong they would of spotted right then. . Im going home to check tire pressure anyway:thumbsup:

Have you called the service manager yet to politely let him know of the issue and remind him how important it is to send a bike out that's "ready to ride" be "ready to ride"? Good way to kill someone...

Definitely a good idea to do.... '

I would have been sad if anything would have happened to that freshly turbo'd busa! And you of course :laugh:

How are those black chrome dash panels holding up?

wow- i just got new q2's also and guess i got lucky- i only dealt with tar snakes on the way home:laugh:

wow, good thing u didnt push it, you might have went down, glad it turned out ok for ya

That is every time I get new tires mounted. They fill the tires without the valve stem so they can quickly fill to seat the beads. Then they just screw in the valve stem (all the while the tire is letting all the air out) and never fill the tires to spec. This was also done when I bought my first bike new. I didn't know enough back then to check the tire pressure before every ride. Completely ruined the factory back tire within 1500 miles

I plan on making a call for certain, i justed wanted to let it sit on the back burner for a bit... No sense in me calling when im steaming and wanting to have someones head...

Instead, gonna cool down, and chill out, and take care of it tomorow...

Man, that is bad business. I would have called when I got home Sometimes when you are MAD they really get the message. I bet they will ask why you did not call the day it happened. JMO I am glad you got home safe.

I plan on making a call for certain, i justed wanted to let it sit on the back burner for a bit... No sense in me calling when im steaming and wanting to have someones head...

Instead, gonna cool down, and chill out, and take care of it tomorow...

Refund plus

Back