Where to get Rear Sprockets

Fireman6615

Registered
Hey all, I've been reading up on everything I can find here on sprockets and considering going to a 42T or 43T on my 06. From all I've read I'll loose some on top end but gain some more grunt on low end. Not a big fan of running 170+ but I do like the pull and torque. Some of you that run this set up or have any insight, does this turn it into a wheelie monster and does this change make it hard to handle in the twisties? If I've read right I don't have to change the stock chain length, right? Also where are you guys getting sprockets from? Thanks as always.

I have a mint 43 tooth for sale can ship today with tracking info. The only way you can tell it's not new,is because it has nut marks from being put on.. You will only lose top end if you trying to run a mile,lol..it will be more spunky, but not necessarily a wheelie monster.

IMAG0616.jpg

Fireman. For 10 years I have goofed around with Busa gearing,usually end up back with stock. Going up in back or down in front is fun for awhile,but everything gets boring. I like stock the best because of the present price at the fuel pumps.

It ends up coming down to rider preference. If it feels good,do it. A gearing change for the track is loved by some,not so much from others. Same with the twisties.Some like to scream at higher RPM's,some like myself can get around pretty qwik running smooth RPM's. Some squids do it to be able to wheelie easier. A Busa does not need a gearing change to wheelie.IMO.

I would say to ask around for a free sprocket someone has given up on,try it,then maybe pass it on if its not for you. :thumbsup:

Plus in theory,its expensive to experiment. Some believe the chain and sprogs should be changed out as a set.Others say dont worry about it.

Good luck...the only thing I know foresure is you are headed for greasy fingers. :laugh:

RSD.

I agree with RSD, it's a preference thing. I have been running my 06 for 7 years with just one down in the front. We ride the twisty's all year round out here in SD, and it's smooth for me. I come out of the corners with more than enough power. Having that mid to top pull is great to retain IMHO...

1 down in front is basically same as 3 up in rear from 40 tooth stock..

I agree with RSD, it's a preference thing. I have been running my 06 for 7 years with just one down in the front. We ride the twisty's all year round out here in SD, and it's smooth for me. I come out of the corners with more than enough power. Having that mid to top pull is great to retain IMHO...

I'm currently running a 16/42 gearing setup and I can attest to it does make your busa feel more alive in the bottom end. It pulls so hard now thru the gears and feels like it accelerates a whole lot faster, ifind myself really having to hold on when I crack the throttle. Like you said I lost some top end speed but I don't really need to go 185mph+ on the highway. I wanted to be quicker not faster if that makes sense to you? I ride with a lot of smaller bikes so it helped a lot and I don't wheelie anymore than I did prior. I've always been able to and sometimes coming out of turns I may crack it WO and ride a small 1 out or feel the front end lighten but that's all by choice. You will lose top speed and MPG but I feel its a worthy sacrifice for the benefits :whistle:

I found good deals on Ebay for individual sprockets and ZZZ chain. I wanted a black steel rear sprocket and that was the cheapest place I could find 1 for my bike with free shipping. Contact Justin because he has the chains cheaper than I found after the fact so he may be able to get you a better deal for a complete chain and sprocket package

Thanks for the input everyone. Goldenchild gave me what I thought was a good deal on the one in his pic so I'm going to try it out and we'll see how it goes.

Back