Where is the water/condensation coming from?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered

I tried seeing if the outer seal is leaking, the one I can see around the module from the outside, so I fired up my leaf blower and even with a concentrated air jet completely around the seal I couldn’t see even one water bubble move inside on the lens. Where can this moisture (just on the lens, not puddling in the bottom) be coming from? I’ve had plenty of car washes and even this time the driver side is perfectly dry so where can the moisture be coming from?

Sure looks like a seal or the bulb gasket to me...have you been having cooler weather lately?

Sadly the only real way to find out why it is condensing is to pull it off the car.

GM fix for Chevy Colorado was drill two 1/16 " holes in back of housing . After that my headlight never fogged again .

Well, I’ve heard bottom holes and now rear holes. For laughs I went to a Caddy dealer and turns out they won’t repair it, they’ll only replace the module which happens to require bumper removal. And their price for a new module is over a grand. Everything works fine and like the driver’s side, is perfectly clear. After 14 years only one gets wet inside? This is my 3rd winter over here so why now and why just one? Frustrating!

Well, I’ve heard bottom holes and now rear holes. For laughs I went to a Caddy dealer and turns out they won’t repair it, they’ll only replace the module which happens to require bumper removal. And their price for a new module is over a grand. Everything works fine and like the driver’s side, is perfectly clear. After 14 years only one gets wet inside? This is my 3rd winter over here so why now and why just one? Frustrating!
Drill you one hole , and it will dry out in a few days ;)

It will be the bulb holder gasket for sure.
As c10 said, drill a small hole for ventilation, about 2mm hole is all it needs.
I would drill it at the rear of the lamp, on the upper portion.
I've seen this problem many many times in my career as a car mechanic, very common.
We used to remove the headlamp assy and open it up, pour a small cup of methylated spirits in and swish it around to collect all the water.
Then dry it out thoroughly, and coat the bulb holder gasket with rubber grease to seal it before fitting the holder back in place.
That usually does the trick.
Good luck. :popcorn:

It will be the bulb holder gasket for sure.
As c10 said, drill a small hole for ventilation, about 2mm hole is all it needs.
I would drill it at the rear of the lamp, on the upper portion.
I've seen this problem many many times in my career as a car mechanic, very common.
We used to remove the headlamp assy and open it up, pour a small cup of methylated spirits in and swish it around to collect all the water.
Then dry it out thoroughly, and coat the bulb holder gasket with rubber grease to seal it before fitting the holder back in place.
That usually does the trick.
Good luck. :popcorn:

Man, getting to it ain’t gonna be easy

Since you have to pull the bumper cover to drill the holes, may as well change the bulbs while you're in there. I just changed the low beam on my kid's STS and it was a pita. The drl and fog bulbs can be changed from underneath the car, but the main and high beams require pulling the bumper cover.

Back