Where is the best place to get maintenance questions answered?

ORBlackFZ1

Registered
Hi Everyone:

New member here, but the original owner of a 2007 Busa.

I recently started performing my own maintenance after I got tired of the incompentent local service department overcharging me. Most of the maintenance is pretty easy with a little bit of time, patience and some basic tools. The service manual helps also.

Anyways, I am trying to flush the Busa's brake fluid. I finished the front brake and clutch without any problems. But the rear brake reservior is quite a bit more difficult than the front or clutch. I found the section in the Service Manual that identifies most of the steps. Unfortunately, the manual left out the step on how to remove the "luggage bolts" that are between the front and back seat. (See green arrows in attached photo).

What is the trick? Are these Allen head bolts with a black rubber stopper in them? Do I just somehow pull the black rubber stoppers out?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Hi Everyone:

New member here, but the original owner of a 2007 Busa.

I recently started performing my own maintenance after I got tired of the incompentent local service department overcharging me. Most of the maintenance is pretty easy with a little bit of time, patience and some basic tools. The service manual helps also.

Anyways, I am trying to flush the Busa's brake fluid. I finished the front brake and clutch without any problems. But the rear brake reservior is quite a bit more difficult than the front or clutch. I found the section in the Service Manual that identifies most of the steps. Unfortunately, the manual left out the step on how to remove the "luggage bolts" that are between the front and back seat. (See green arrows in attached photo).

View attachment 1616219

What is the trick? Are these Allen head bolts with a black rubber stopper in them? Do I just somehow pull the black rubber stoppers out?

Thanks for your help,
Eric
Just pop the plugs out.

I might be looking at that pic wrong but it looks like the cable is off the latch. Don’t forget to reattach that or it will be a pain to get the hump off.

I might be looking at that pic wrong but it looks like the cable is off the latch. Don’t forget to reattach that or it will be a pain to get the hump off.

Yes, one of the steps listed in the Service Manual was to disconnect the cable latch. Thanks for the reminder. I will try NOT to forget to put it back on.

Eric

You can actually access the reservoir cap screws and remove the cap and top up the fluid WITHOUT removing the tail section plastics.
I also have a Gen 1 and the way I approach it is to remove the bolts on the RH side and pull the plastic back and slip a block of wood in there to hold it back.
Then there is enough space to deal with the reservoir.

@ORBlackFZ1

"The service manual " - yes, the first source.

but mine (*.pdf) for the Gen1 would be - i guess - a bit ;-) better,
because Suzuki forgot - i guess - some (main) points.
I overhauled the oficial schedule (black) and added important points (blue) (caused by my experiances).

beg your (all) pardon - all milage is written in km but not in mi.

2-2–A–Maintenance_Gen_I_99-07.jpg

2-2–A–Maintenance_Gen_I_99-07.jpg

You are correct Blue...
Been there,done that.Was putting my first Busa back together after I painted it.All the upcoming excitement of getting back on the road caused me to 4-get to re-attach the cable. I used a ghetto spare key [coat hanger] to attack the latch from the side between the rear plastic and the hump.It can be done but a severe PITA. Rubb.

(...) I also have a Gen 1 and the way I approach it is to remove the bolts on the RH side and pull the plastic back and slip a block of wood in there to hold it back. (...)

yes - my way too - the easiest way :thumbsup:
if you only wanna change the brake fluid. ;-)
(btw : at gen2 i do m.o.l. the same)

but i urgently recommend not to be a fool or to let laziness prevail
and to control the gen1´s regulator connector in the tail (LH) at same time - best every year.
this i had at my former gen1 - horror pure !
DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

and if you do the control in the tail
have also an "eagle eye" to the connector under the tank (LH), or this may happen - horror pure 2
reglerprobleme_2-1%20.jpg

It might be looking at that pic wrong but it looks like the cable is off the latch. Don’t forget to reattach that or it will be a pain to get the hump off.

uuuuuuuuhhh yes ! :shocked:

but it doesn´t only look like - the damn cable isn´t at its place yet !
and if one forgets it
there will upcome a damn bad work combined with dozens of curses.
completely unfunny. :banghead:

uuuuuuuuhhh yes ! :shocked:

but it doesn´t only look like - the damn cable isn´t at its place yet !
and if one forgets it
there will upcome a damn bad work combined with dozens of curses.
completely unfunny. :banghead:
Hahahaha . . your English descriptions and phrases are . . . unique .. to say the least!
But don't worry Frank, we all love having you here, I just get a kick outta your expressions! :D:lol:

Hahahaha . . your English descriptions and phrases are . . . unique .. to say the least!
But don't worry Frank, we all love having you here, I just get a kick outta your expressions!
Vut do you mean by ziss? Vut is da madda vis zee vay ziss man tock?
Let me be Frank. OK,OK,you be Frank. Actually,I mess up the english language all the time...mostly on porpoise for laughs thou.
A Rhodes scholar I am not. Party on Berlin :thumbsup: Rubb.

yes - my way too - the easiest way :thumbsup:
if you only wanna change the brake fluid. ;-)
(btw : at gen2 i do m.o.l. the same)

but i urgently recommend not to be a fool or to let laziness prevail
and to control the gen1´s regulator connector in the tail (LH) at same time - best every year.
this i had at my former gen1 - horror pure !
View attachment 1616239

View attachment 1616240

and if you do the control in the tail
have also an "eagle eye" to the connector under the tank (LH), or this may happen - horror pure 2
View attachment 1616241
Yikes....!!!! that could have easily been a fire....

@rubbersidedown
and
@Kiwi Rider

fine / nice, that you got somethimg to lough about
in this bad bad virus-times.

and yes, my english is for shure a bit different to yours - i´m no natural speaker ;-)
but as long as you understand what i wanna say, i guess it can´t be the worst foreign language a member can write here.
(at least that's what I hope)

and rub? big grin :-)
my "th" is not an "s" or "z" - the "th" i speek in its correct way.
and you really would be astonished about my kind of speaking ;) english. - loool -

@rubbersidedown
and
@Kiwi Rider

fine / nice, that you got somethimg to lough about
in this bad bad virus-times.

and yes, my english is for shure a bit different to yours - i´m no natural speaker ;-)
but as long as you understand what i wanna say, i guess it can´t be the worst foreign language a member can write here.
(at least that's what I hope)

and rub? big grin :-)
my "th" is not an "s" or "z" - the "th" i speek in its correct way.
and you really would be astonished about my kind of speaking ;) english. - loool -
Maybe lighten up a bit in these bad virus times,or not dont really give a fug.
I poke fun :poke: at everyone.I type accents for everybody,nobody is immune especially in these horrible virus times. I do East Indian accents,my East Indian friends find it hilirious,they do white boy accents/humor at me.I do Irish,I'm of Irish decent.I do British,my Mom was born in England.My best friend,Scottish.The cheapness/haggis eatin' jokes fly.I do African American...talk about the Gub'ment and axe all kinds of questions.Chinese and Japanese [yes,there is a difference in their accents].Mexican,Jewish,Italian,French...and of course CANADIAN,me being from Canaduh...EH. Its all in good fun,does it upset people,who knows,who cares.Is my personality type for everyone,in the interests of freedom and individuality and lousy humor...I hope not. There is always gonna be somebody on the edge of their fuggin' seat just waiting to be offended. I can't control other peoples words or actions,all I can do is control my emotions towards them.
Guess we can all be thankful I didn't mention Hitler.

I guess I could apologize,but it would be empty and worthless.As the old saying goes...you can't please all the people all of the time, and I have no such interest in such a HUGE politically correct undertaking.I can make one promise thou,not to darken yer posts ever again. The German people should be very proud of all they have accomplished in the world so far...but I'm not one to hold a grudge....we all make mistakes.Now if you'll excuse me,I have to go pi55 off my friends to the south for the actions of their fearless leader,Trump.
OFF RANT. Rubb.

Back