Where is fuel filter on 1st Gen?

Depends, Early bikes had an external pump and filter under the tank. Later bikes have the pump and filter in the tank. Someone will chime in on the years but just lift the tank and look. If you have a fuel line going directly from the tank to the fuel rail you have an in tank pump and filter. Testing is easy, you just disconnect the line from the fuel rail , turn on the ignition and measure the quantity of fuel pumped for a set period of time. There is also a fuel pressure measurement. You should download a shop manual if you are going to perform these tasks. Usually if the fuel pump fails it just stops working. The fuel filters can clog and the external ones are easy to change. If you have an internal pump and filter, you have to remove the tank, remove the fuel pump/filter/sender. Disassemble them and change out the filter. Beware the internal filters are expensive. You can also do a fuel filter mod to bypass the internal filter and use an external one.

I have a 2000 model that appears to have the big ugly "external" pump assembly on the right side of the tank. Aside from the tank's petock, is there another fuel filter in my tank or is it just the float assembly?

When I turn my ignition on t (newly purchased bike that had been sitting for over a year) I get no sound from the fuel pump assembly. THere is a black and red plug on the top of the fuel pump assembly that I unplugged from the harness. I hot wired the battery terminals into the respective wires and it doesn't do anything-no sound, nada. Is this the proper way to test the fuel pump? Or am I needing to do something else?

If that's the proper way to do it and my pump is completely crap I'd like to find a video or write-up on removing the pump assembly and replacing the pump properly.

I have a 2000 model that appears to have the big ugly "external" pump assembly on the right side of the tank. Aside from the tank's petock, is there another fuel filter in my tank or is it just the float assembly?

When I turn my ignition on t (newly purchased bike that had been sitting for over a year) I get no sound from the fuel pump assembly. THere is a black and red plug on the top of the fuel pump assembly that I unplugged from the harness. I hot wired the battery terminals into the respective wires and it doesn't do anything-no sound, nada. Is this the proper way to test the fuel pump? Or am I needing to do something else?

If that's the proper way to do it and my pump is completely crap I'd like to find a video or write-up on removing the pump assembly and replacing the pump properly.

I would download the service manual and troubleshoot using it. I don't have any experience with the old style pump and filters.

Someone will chime in shortly.

99 and 2000 Filters are :
1 in Petcock
57uq-eac5f5eac3ef7fe7c29d96e297caae1d.jpg

Do the petcock mod. (drill small holes ) so you can turn it OFF
DSC05028.JPG
DSC05027.JPG

My small mod. fit a HIGH FLOW Mann WK 32/7 inline filter between petcock and fuelpump. U can buy at any VAG/VW/AUDI Dealer 9-12 $ , i change them Always on 7500 km's with oil change.
PICT0122.JPG
2015-05-29 20.46.19.jpg

PICT0121.JPG

Alright thanks for clarification. I got them all then.

One other thing stumping me.

I took off part of the FI side of the external fuel pump to clear the small mesh screen and I found this rubber plug (the little hat looking thing) fit into the mesh screen. It was smashed between the o-ring and into the mesh screen hole.

When I look on the microfiche it's not show anywhere. What the heck? Any ideas?

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-36.jpg

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-39.jpg

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-40.jpg

Back