Where does this wire clip connect to?

Joshmc628

Registered
Just did a motor swap on my gen 1 but I can’t get it to start. Fuel pump primes, starter turns fast but it kind of seems like there’s no spark. No backfiring or smells from exhaust yet. I have all the wires connected except one. It’s located on the left side under the air box. if anyone knows where it goes and if it has anything to do with starting the bike please let me know thanks!
image.jpg

*update just found a multimeter laying around and did some testing. The battery reads 12v but drops to 10-11 when trying to start (even with a jump pack). I read that you cannot get spark while under 12v so I’m going to try another battery and see what happens

*update just found a multimeter laying around and did some testing. The battery reads 12v but drops to 10-11 when trying to start (even with a jump pack). I read that you cannot get spark while under 12v so I’m going to try another battery and see what happens
thats correct. battery should read about 12.4- 12.6 and when started jump up to 14. something....!
Maybe you can make 2 more pics from another angle and further away, so we can see better where the connector is located!

what this plug might be for i don´t know
but i´m 99.9% shure that this plug is part of the 5-wire-harness coming from generator
and his 2-point - counterpart is directly beside the 3-point-conn. of the 3 yellow wires of generator
in the middle of main harness under the gastank.

respectively other way around

conn´s location see yellow circle

Haya-Reglerstecker-b.jpg

and thats the yellow generator wires conn. seen in a friends 2001 busa - loose and corroded plugs

reglerprobleme_2-2%20.jpg

josh - your sought-after counterpart should be the conn. with blue and green wire

Last edited:
(...) I’m going to fully restore this bike no matter the cost/time.

sounds as heroism
and i´m not joking or kidding you
when i look at the pics with sprayed frame harness and so on

looks like a gen I , but what year of built? and what mileage?
when ´99 or ´00 - i fully agree with you
because those 2 - for us in europe - are the real only hayabusa - the later are more or less "castrated " because allowed only to run till real 295 km/h (280 wrote on the speedo)
the (german) 99/00 has 340 km/h on the speedo ;)
and in germany we still have highways without any speed limits.

i also restore a ´00 with little accident marks next weeks to near 100% of original shape
so I think I pretty much suspect how much work awaits you .

on the other hands - to bring this (spray bombed ;) @c10 ) haya to a real "rat bike" standard could be a lot easier and cheaper and very funny.

painters roll and brush + matt army green outside & best of technic inside ?
ever thought about this alternative?

a basis for that you seemingly have. ;)

sounds as heroism

because those 2 - for us in europe - are the real only hayabusa - the later are more or less "castrated " because allowed only to run till real 295 km/h (280 wrote on the speedo)

i also restore a ´00 with little accident marks next weeks to near 100% of original shape
It’s a 2005 with 40k on the odometer. Just put a ‘99 engine with 20k miles on it so I’m eager to feel this unrestricted power

It’s a 2005 with 40k on the odometer. Just put a ‘99 engine with 20k miles on it so I’m eager to feel this unrestricted power
With all due respect, you took the wrong approach. There is no restriction on hayabusa engines, the restrictions are on the ECU itself. I see this often with sellers saying they have a ‘99 busa for sale, which is the best year due to being unrestricted. A quick internet search will help understand that someone can buy a 2020 model and spend $60-$100 to unrestricted by sending their ECU to a shop or individual that offers ECU flashing services. My 2009 and many other member’s bikes on here are unrestricted. I’m not sure on all the electrical differences, but ‘99 harness and ECU are not the exact same as your 2005.

sounds as heroism

It’s a 2005 with 40k on the odometer. Just put a ‘99 engine with 20k miles on it so I’m eagerto feel this unrestricted power :fire:
With all due respect, you took the wrong approach. There is no restriction on hayabusa engines, the restrictions are on the ECU itself. I see this often with sellers saying they have a ‘99 busa for sale, which is the best year due to being unrestricted. A quick internet search will help understand that someone can buy a 2020 model and spend $60-$100 to unrestricted by sending their ECU to a shop or individual that offers ECU flashing services. My 2009 and many other member’s bikes on here are unrestricted. I’m not sure on all the electrical differences, but ‘99 harness and ECU are not the exact same as your 2005.
Makes sense that the 05 Ecu would still restrict the engine. Im wondering if I need to get a 99-00 harness and/or ecu for this engine to work at all?
*update
Finding posts stating that a 99 engine will need a 99-00 flywheel as it’s a 16 bit while newer bikes have a 32 bit. This is probably an issue for another thread.

Last edited:
It’s a 2005 with 40k on the odometer. Just put a ‘99 engine with 20k miles on it so I’m eagerto feel this unrestricted power :fire:

Makes sense that the 05 Ecu would still restrict the engine. Im wondering if I need to get a 99-00 harness and/or ecu for this engine to work at all?
*update
Finding posts stating that a 99 engine will need a 99-00 flywheel as it’s a 16 bit while newer bikes have a 32 bit. This is probably an issue for another thread.
A lot of people have upgraded to the 32 bit system so they can tune their bikes, so going back and, in a way, “downgrading” to the older system might not be the best idea.

i try to answer

mabupa :
i changed my ´00 to 32 bit (rotor & ecu) and kept the ´00 harness,
then i switched two wires in the 2 ecu connectors
and flashed a bit later the ´02-´07 ecu to be completely unrestricted
flash means:
not only the 6th restr. off
but also the restric. of 2nd and 3rd gear off - my brother did so
only ´99 & ´00 ecu´s are not restricted in 6th = max speed 340 km/h but they are in 2nd and 3rd (in germany and ... ?)

josh etc. :
harness ´99 is equal to ´00 but not! to ´01 or ´02 - ´07 so you can´t change harness 100% throug all modells
also the ecu´s are different
means :
´99 harness is equal to ´00
´01 harness is something bit of stand alone, still 16 bit but some harness changes like in ´02-´07
´01 is restr. in 6th = 295 km/h
´02-´07 harness is 32 bit
´02-´07 is restr. in 6th = 295 km/h

general :
all gen II are restricted too, but u can flash this to off

the restr. works in all haya ´01-´18 the same way :
speed sensor in the front sprocket cover via speedo to ecu
so the ecu knows "by" speedo how fast you are and stops more or less fueling the injectors.

general 2 :
all gen I engines (motor) are equal and changable crosswards
same at gen II - they also are all equal and changable crosswards

gen I and gen II motors are not easy to move to the other gen - no one should try - it´s too much work.

more info required?
ask ;-)

Last edited:

*update
Your doing your searching properly just looking at it backwards, u wanna update to your 05 ecu so swap the flywheel with the one out of your old engine and whatever other parts are needed (not done this as I have a gen 2) and then your bike will start. Also as mabupa pointed out to have it unrestricted just have to send the ecu out and have it flashed. Boosted cycle can help u with that or there are others but you'll end up thanking yourself for the flash either way

Back