Where do you keep your cat during winter?

IG.

Registered
The picture is especially blrrry because it was taken through the window screen and on maximum zoom. Come to think of it, if your name is 'blrrry' you must have a pretty distorted view of the world - just a side point.

cat_in_house_small.jpg

I've always loved dogs, but when our paths crossed a few years ago, we became pretty good friends. She hasn't paid rent, she hasn't paid her heating bills, and she certainly hasn't paid for her meals. However, we enjoy each others company whenever she is around. Her meows have about 50 shades of sound variations, and she loves to respond to simple yes/no questions in a very intelligent way. Maybe one day I will take a video. Notice I am not using the word 'pet' because she is not.

In that picture, she enjoys the view of the backyard from the privacy of her own heated house, and after having a really nice meal. What a life of your not-so-typical street cat!

She is adapting to loud sounds really well as I was observing her during operation of loud devices such as blenders. The only thing you may notice is the facial expression changes - like a bit of a concern/surprise, and the ears get flatter. She even falls asleep in the garage, and barely moves when I am milling/drilling another set of foot anchors.

Oh, she is used to the sound of the idling turbo hayabusa, and maybe one day I will lure her on top of the tank, and we might go for a short ride. I am sure she would enjoy a brisk ride once she is past all the scary stuff, and strange G-forces.

Dude, don't tell me you are working on tank mounted cat foot anchors :eyes: No, I'm not testing those.

Our cat comes in when it's cold out.
He stays in the laundry room, and goes out when it's warm during the day.
He'll stay out all the time once it stays around 50 and above. He's a fat orange bastid with a heavy coat anyway(around 20 lbs).
A stray always shows up at my folks house too. That one has a house also, and comes and goes as he pleases.
:laugh:

Our next door neighbor moved two years ago, and although they took their four dogs, they left two cats to fend for themselves. My dog became friends with one of the cats. He would stand guard and protect her when I fed her, so the other dogs and cats in the neighborhood would not eat her food. Eventually, she followed my dog home, and would even get in his bed with him. I lost my dog a few months after kitty came to stay with us, but we still have his cat friend. She was so skinny. She has lived outside all her life, but now comes inside when my wife and I are home. She has her own digs in the heated and air conditioned garage, and prefers to sleep there at night. She can go out anytime, but she prefers to stay inside most of the time. Guess she had enough of outdoor life. Your a good man for taking care of that kitty!

Buddy likes to lay on the monitor and stare at me while I'm on Hayabusa.org.
Ya I still got huge dinasour CRT monitors.

buddy low res.jpg

Nice stories, guys. I think cats are as affectionate as dogs. They are just not as much in your face. This one would just stand next to me, touching, and hugging my leg with her tail - like a child who wants to hold a parent's hand. Or, would come over, sit down, and keep looking at me quietly waiting to give her something. I think animals in general are very close to humans on emotional level, while obviously being far behind intellectually. That's why many of us are so close with our pets/animal friends. There is no BS, just pure emotion and affection.

We actually saved this cat from drowning during Sandy. At the time, we weren't that close. I sealed the entire house perimeter with the foam (even the front door, not that it helped much), so the only way out was through the window. As the water was coming in, I saw her sitting on the fence in the backyard, clearly scared and confused. I put my boots on, and walked outside through the window in the water, and stretched my hands asking her to jump to me. But she wouldn't no matter how I begged her. So, I had to go back in the house. I made a "smart" decision to stay, so the whole family was on the 2nd floor. A while later, my daughter heard screams outside, like a child. As I went to investigate, I saw the cat at our front door, surrounded by water screaming like you wouldn't believe it. Note that she had never before come to our front door.

As she saw me, she started jumping on the door, but it was sealed. As I went to the window, she followed and jumped hard on the glass hitting her head before I had a chance to open the window. As I opened the window, she jumped right in, and started running around like crazy, and ended up in the corner of the 1st floor bathroom. I knew the water was coming and if she stayed there, she would be surrounded by water again. I tried to get her, but she seemed pretty wild. Tried to put her in a medium size plastic cooler, but she wouldn't budge. So, she ended up standing on the opened cooler and me holding the cooler, and trying to calm her down. I manged to walk like this upstairs. My daughter petted her a little, even gave her some cheese, and then she went under our bed, and spent the entire night there without making a single sound. I think that night she had the best sleep ever.

Arch, I am laughing... I actually thought how a cat would hold on, and the best solution is the natural one - to attach some material which would allow a cat to sink her claws in there and hold on. The problem is when she gets scared and the natural reflex kicks in, she would jump off at speed. I need to read her some Keith Code stories... I think it will be a long time before she goes for a ride, if ever. On the other hand, I've gotten her to get used to a RC helicopter. So, on a number of occasions, I would attach a piece of salami or something similar to the string and then to the helicopter. Then, I fly it around her, she smells/sees food, and would jump and grab it, completely unafraid of the flying thing.

We recently got Roku, and there is Animal Channel where there are movies for animals. There is one where birds are feeding on some sort of bird food. They fly in, eat, push each other, fly away, then back, etc. She is watching this movie like a hawk, and often jumps on the stand where the TV is and wants to grab a bird. Now, almost every time she walks by and the TV is ON, she would watch for a minute or two, obviously waiting for her movie.

Our kitten (all 11lbs of him) lives indoors with his sister who is 4lbs, and much stealthier. The big one named Busa for his long wheel base and size, likes to sleep ontop of our entertainment system cabnet, and the dismount is to leap the 7 foot gap to the couch and faceplant on the cushons.

-D

We have 8 cats, and 6-7 are mainly indoor. There's only one that never comes in, and that's been her choice for years. She weathers out the cold in a crate with a heat lamp on our covered front porch. If we have really bad storms coming, like a hurricane, I'll bring her indoors and set her up in her own room with all of her own amenities. :)

Yes, they are spoiled...all but one are rescues/strays, and all have been spayed/neutered so we don't add to the population problem of unwanted cats.

Recently, a 9th cat has shown up for food and attention, but I'm not calling him ours. Omar named him over the holidays, and I gave him a hard time for that, so we're back to calling him "the stray" ;)

ForumRunner_20150125_152113.png

ForumRunner_20150125_152113.png

We have 8 cats, and 6-7 are mainly indoor. There's only one that never comes in, and that's been her choice for years. She weathers out the cold in a crate with a heat lamp on our covered front porch. If we have really bad storms coming, like a hurricane, I'll bring her indoors and set her up in her own room with all of her own amenities. :)

Yes, they are spoiled...all but one are rescues/strays, and all have been spayed/neutered so we don't add to the population problem of unwanted cats.

Recently, a 9th cat has shown up for food and attention, but I'm not calling him ours. Omar named him over the holidays, and I gave him a hard time for that, so we're back to calling him "the stray" ;)

View attachment 279831

Do you have 8 litter boxes? :laugh:

I grew up with a cat and had one myself for over 10 years that I found as a kitten.
No pets right now.

Do you have 8 litter boxes? :laugh:

I grew up with a cat and had one myself for over 10 years that I found as a kitten.
No pets right now.

Nope, just one litter box that I keep clean every day, sometimes multiple times a day... :)

Can't imagine life without furry friends at my feet, on my legs, sleeping on my head LOL

Why bother keeping them all winter when they make such a lovely fall stew?

beef-stew_0041-620x300.jpg

:moon::laugh::whistle:

cheers
ken

up here in PA we try to acclimate them for the harsh winters.....me and the local Chinese restaurant both practice "cold weather" acclimation..... amazing how well they can remain in the same stasis after this life...uhhhh.....saving......uhhhh .....treatment?... lol

How do you know you cat is dreaming about riding?
When she finds a brand new BT016 to be the most comfortable place to be in.

cat_in_tire_cropped.jpg

How do you know your cat is a natural rider?
She positions her head against the lightest part of the tire.

Get a Husky, they work the seasons the other way around. :laugh:

In summer it is too hot outside, so he parks himself inside.

Een Summer.jpg

In winter it is too hot inside, so he prefers to cuddle up where it is more comfy.

Eeen winter.jpg

Een Summer.jpg

Eeen winter.jpg

Get a Husky, they work the seasons the other way around. :laugh:

In summer it is too hot outside, so he parks himself inside.

View attachment 279947

In winter it is too hot inside, so he prefers to cuddle up where it is more comfy.

View attachment 279948

Maybe he just likes to be alone more.

In the summertime most humans are outside to enjoy what we can't in the winter.
In the wintertime we stay inside to escape the cold.
Just backwards from what you dog does so maybe he likes to be alone more. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe he just likes to be alone more.

In the summertime most humans are outside to enjoy what we can't in the winter.
In the wintertime we stay inside to escape the cold.
Just backwards from what you dog does so maybe he likes to be alone more. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I believe cats move slower in winter, perhaps he is just waiting for a free meal. :whistle:

Back