where do these old sayings come from?

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Old sayings...some of them are really very odd.???

Forinstace: "There's room enough in there to swing a cat".
Did somebody buy a house and discover there was indeed room to swing a cat.???

If someone says something you dont believe,you tell them... "I'm from Missouri on that one". Why are people from Missouri so distrusting.:laugh:

Old bible stuff like: "I escaped by the skin of my teeth". Never understood that one.

This one actually refers to a girl: "A bird in the hand,is worth two in the bush." No joke. :whistle:

"Physician heal thyself." If I could do that,I wouldn't need a freakin' doctor.:banghead:

"Spare the rod and spoil the child." ??? I dunno,I prefere a good spanking as opposed to a new cellphone or XBox. :spank:

Whatcha got folk?

RSD.

Wish in one hand and SH!t in the other, see which one fills up first.

"do unto others as you would have them do unto you." no way: I'm only slapping on knee pads for my Busa.

Last edited:
"Sweating like a ho in church"

and if someone is telling you how to do something from the sideline tell them "let's let Jessy rob this train"

had an older guy at Wawa tell me that one day, thought it was funny.

What does "living daylights" mean? Or why do we say "dead as a door nail"?
And just what the heck is a wazoo (as in "she's got shoes out the Wazoo!")?

You can also have them chromed or powder coated.:thumbsup:Gives new meaning to there's more than one way to polish a turd; or is that skin a cat? :laugh:???:whistle:

Last edited:
"Don't punch the duck"

Can some one explain this one. A doctor told my brother this once. Does that mean the doctor is a quack?:poke:

If someone says something you dont believe,you tell them... "I'm from Missouri on that one". Why are people from Missouri so distrusting.

This is why they call it the "Show Me State"

Back