Where did my oil go?

I have always changed my oil with the bike on rear stand. Remember where the level should be while on the stand, and check it that way between changes. To me, that provides a good repeatable reference point as opposed to finding square and trying to read the sight glass when working by yourself.

Don't any of you prefill the filter before installing it? I always pour oil into the filter, let it sit for about a minute, pour more oil in and let it sit for another minute. The paper in the filter absorbs the oil pretty quickly and the oil light goes off as soon as I hit the starter button because the filter already has oil in it. You don't have to wait for the oil pump to fill it This eliminates what they call a "dry start". I know it doesn't have anything to do with the subject on this thread, but I thought I'd just throw it in.
wink.gif

(mokaw @ Jul. 02 2007,11:53) Don't any of you prefill the filter before installing it? I always pour oil into the filter, let it sit for about a minute, pour more oil in and let it sit for another minute. The paper in the filter absorbs the oil pretty quickly and the oil light goes off as soon as I hit the starter button because the filter already has oil in it. You don't have to wait for the oil pump to fill it This eliminates what they call a "dry start". I know it doesn't have anything to do with the subject on this thread, but I thought I'd just throw it in.
wink.gif
Not necessary. Just fit the filter on and start it up. Few seconds of running dry ain't gonna kill it. Residual oil from the engine just being warmed up will do the trick.

Coat the seal with some fresh oil though. Duhhhh!

Plus, the filter sits horizontally. any oil in it will leak out. what's the point?

Easy enough to just grab the front brake and pull it off the stand from the righ side and look at the glass.

When she is on the stand you can't see the oil level in there.

Do not overfill at the risk of dipping the crankshaft in the oil and bubbling the oil wich will send air into the galleries and prevent optimum lubrication.

(Tybalt71 @ Jul. 02 2007,11:26) When OIl gets hot, it thins out almost like water!, Anyone want to debate here using cheap inexpensive brand name oil is the culprit here in these situations??? , not perhaps specifically this case but in most when u are burning oil and losing a quart. Oil is everything, pay the $$ and get the good stuff, dont splurge when it comes to the life blood of your engine.
rant.gif
+1

Full synth for this guy!

Full synthetic for me too! Since 600miles. Mobil1 Gold Cap. YES,, car oil!
eek2.gif

On pouring oil into the filter prior,,, well that just doesn't make any sense because you then fight pouring it all over the headers and floor just to try and beat the clock.

Well,,, unless you tip the bike up on its front tire!
laugh.gif

Just put it on, put in three and run it for about a minute. Let set and then put in the majority of the fourth quart and start checking your level. Run again if necessary to be sure the filter has absorbed as much as possible. Sip a cool beer/beverage and check the level again. Top as needed.

(LeeFL2 @ Jul. 02 2007,17:18)
(mokaw @ Jul. 02 2007,11:53) Don't any of you prefill the filter before installing it? I always pour oil into the filter, let it sit for about a minute, pour more oil in and let it sit for another minute. The paper in the filter absorbs the oil pretty quickly and the oil light goes off as soon as I hit the starter button because the filter already has oil in it. You don't have to wait for the oil pump to fill it This eliminates what they call a "dry start". I know it doesn't have anything to do with the subject on this thread, but I thought I'd just throw it in.
wink.gif
Not necessary. Just fit the filter on and start it up. Few seconds of running dry ain't gonna kill it. Residual oil from the engine just being warmed up will do the trick.

Plus, the filter sits horizontally. any oil in it will leak out. what's the point?
Try
Try it sometime. The oil won't leak out. There are lots of car mechanics and bikers that do this. To each his own.
Sorry I mentioned it.

(mokaw @ Jul. 02 2007,23:30)
wink.gif

Try
Try it sometime. The oil won't leak out. There are lots of car mechanics and bikers that do this. To each his own.
Sorry I mentioned it.
Hey, no flames mokaw- contributions are always welcome! Nothing wrong with Q & A as long as it stays respectful both directions...

Pre- filling the oil filter is standard procedure
wink.gif
Allowing the paper elements to soak a bit is something I hadn't thought of....nice tip
cool.gif

There was a thread with a video clip , a "how to change your oil"
The guy was working on a Duc. but he said to pre-fill the filter, or to add a little extra.

(kennym4 @ Jul. 03 2007,04:15) PWARD,
That black purple is sick !!!!!!!
I don't ever see them out on the road.
Thanks Kenny.

I really like the fact that there aren't a ton of them around.

(darth frosty @ Jul. 01 2007,23:21) Thanx O, I will try that tommorow. right now time to crash.
bowdown.gif
Dude don't say that and get someone to help you with checking the sight glass.
tounge.gif

(kennym4 @ Jul. 02 2007,07:16) I was told if you put a new oil filter on you actualy need to add a little more than 4 qts., because the filter fills up with oil.
No 3.7 quarts v. 3.5. But you should be changing that filter every time anyway
ices_rofl.gif

(mokaw @ Jul. 02 2007,21:30)
wink.gif

Try
Sorry I mentioned it.

No need to be sorry. In the world of 1500hp diesel engines that I service, that is standard procedure! The difference in them and my Busa is that the Busa filter lies on its side. If I pour oil into it, as I screw it in, it will leak all over.

When engine is cold and has high hours, that is a good proceedure to use, because engine runs dry for sometimes up to 30 seconds, before pump pushes oil into top of pushrods and valves. On newer engines it is not that important because the pumps have high pressure due to tight tolerances and oil gets up in the valves almost imediately.

Additionally, if you use synthetic, you are significantly adding protection to your engine because the synthetic keeps the moving parts coated better and its compounds offer supperior protection to these parts.

smile.gif

Back