Where did my grommets go???

Toddvk

Registered
Hey guys, looking for some advice from people that have been there and done that. I had removed my cowlings from my 2012 to do some work and lost the grommets that the cowling pegs go into that are on the air intake ducts. I was trying to straighten out the grommet on the right side when it popped into the hole in the air duct. When I checked, the left one was missing as well. I ordered some new ones but was going to try and retrieve the ones that went in to the ducts. Any one lose their grommets in the air duct and where successful in retrieving them without have to disassemble the fairlng or removing everything? My first thought is to remove the air box cover and try and go in that way with a retreival tool. I was also thinking about trying to use compressed air to blow in the front of the air duct and see if they shoot out in the air box. Anyone with experience and success I would really appreciate your advice. Thanks, Todd.

never had this problem but if they are in the ducts they well end up in the airbox. If you rather buy new ones than fish out the old, your methods seem as good as any air compressor, leaf blower. When was the last time you checked the air cleaner, some people even forget there is one in there:laugh:

Mine have been in the air duct for more than three years.
You have to take airbox off and reach up in there with one of those push button claw thingys to get them out. I'm lazy, never did this so they sit. They are in a spot that is Pre filter so not really a worry.

Thanks guys for the response. I'm going to try the compressed air method and see how that works. I'll let you know if they come out.

Thanks guys for the response. I'm going to try the compressed air method and see how that works. I'll let you know if they come out.

this works... i used compressed air to blow in the front of the air duct and then i pulled it out with a pair of needle nose

A little bit of epoxy will make sure it never happens again,or a tiny bit of grease in the center where the plastic pin goes will ease installation.

RSD.

So, in case anyone has been sitting on pins and needles awaiting my grommet outcome, the air compressor trick worked. I opened the air box up and the grommet from the right side was sitting on the inside of the tube. I was able to pull it out with a hook tool. No sign of the left grommet through. I shot air into the front of the left duct and the grommet popped up into the tube and I was able to extract that one as well. I love it when a plan comes together.

Back