Where can I get a cheap Fuel Filter???

hayabusaboy

Registered
I'm giving my busa (2000, 30,000 Miles) a good overhaul in a couple of weeks and will replace the Fuel Filter and clean out the pump. Rather than paying the Stealership prices, do you guys know where I can pick up a cheap OEM fuel filter? My bike has the external fuel pump.

I am tempted to do the fuel pump mod, permantly removing the internal filter and fit an in line external filter between the pump and the injectors.

What are your thoughts guys? ???

Let me think :whistle: , your bike is 10 years old, has only 30,000 miles and your changing the fuel filter for (what) the first time ? Sounds to me like a lot of trouble and time to change something you (or myself) rarely do. Just how often do you expect to change the fuel filter to justify changing anything :beerchug:

Of course this is just my :2cents: worth of knowledge. :laugh:

Thanks for the post DaCol. I have seen quite a few posts regarding the sludge build up in the pump and the problems this can cause.....

From what I can gather, the '99 / '00 models generate a lot of copper, or at least copper colored gunk that comes from the fuel pump itself.

It could be seen as a defect, however suzuki didn't see it as a big enough one to issue a recall.

Mine was pretty nasty when I changed it at 23k miles.. was having some stuttering issues.

If you keep the OEM fuel pump on these models, the fuel filter is maintenance that is going to be done much more regularly than normal.

You can go with cleaning the sludge, and replacing the OEM filter which takes >an hour or two, you're also gonna have to replace some O-Rings, and you're gonna have to do it again.

OR, you can do it ONCE... gut the fuel pumps filtration, get an external fuel filter for <10 bucks.. and next time you do it, it will take about 5 min to do, from opening the tank to shutting it.

if ti were my bike I would toss all of th horrible over priced OE filters in the fuel system and go with an external inline prefilter. That's just me though.

Simply, buy a Filter: Mann WK 32/7
VAG Part Volkswagen Audi etc etc .

copy from the austrailian busa club
AC-Delco gf-635
should be able to get it at repco or bursons
8mm in and out , good to 100 psi ,and short .

Sux6
Greetings from The Netherlands

Thanks guys. I'm going to go with the external filter. Would you put the filter before or after the pump?
Your advice is appreciated lads:bowdown:

pre-filters go before the pump while the others go after the pump. It all comes down to the level of filtering (microns). Electric pumps aren't as good at pulling as they are at pushing. You don't want to restrict the fuel from being pulled by the pump. This is why the pre-filters don't filter or restict the flow as much as post filters.

After!

All the copper crap you find in your screens is from the pump, not the gas. So, if you don't filter AFTER the pump, you're going to have all that copper crap in your injectors.

Back