Where are you guys mounting your HID ballasts?

crankinaway

Registered
I got all the fairings off for paint so I can pretty much put it anywhere, but want some accessibility. This is a gen II install. I was thinking between the trees on that lil black inner fender cover. Ideas?

I put mine on ram air tubes like Warbird. Also look out for where you put the other part (ignitors?) and keep them as far away from the guages as you can too...i think careful placement of those is also important!

I cut a little plate out of some spare aluminum that was the size of the ballast with a little offset tab on the one end and pinched that tab under the bottom right tab of the gauge cluster that's held with a screw. So basically it holds the ballast in the same space as the fuses and relays on the other side of the bike. It works great and if I ever decide to put an HID in my high beam then I cam mount that ballast on the other side of the plate. :thumbsup:

Here is how I did mine.

busa maint 030.jpg

I just had a brand new ballast go out. I think it overheated, I was running hi-beam all day.

Last edited:
Will it really mess with the cluster?

Watch what happens if you start a ballast up on the bike without the lamp connected. The 20,000 volt spark that they generate is enough to jump from the HID lamp lead to ground.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that played havoc with any kind of circuitry nearby. I have heard that bikes like goldwings with radio receivers pick up all kinds of interference from HID ballasts.

Back