When it gets really cold outside why do you still ride?

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
I was thinking this last night on my way home from work. Why am i going home shivering? Now I wasn't wearing all my winter gear as I haven't broke it out just yet but still. It was only in the mid 30's on my way home.

But even with my winter gear its not the most comfortable or enjoyable ride especially when its already dipped into the 20's on my way home from work. Yet i still do it. nearly everyday no matter how cold it is outside.

I think ive came to the conclusion that the only reason I still ride when its cold outside is because most of the time im one of the very few motorcycles still on the road and people look at me like im crazy. For some reason that gives me a certain sense of satisfaction. But on the other hand its still more fun than driving the truck. call me crazy.

So do you ride because its still fun, or do you ride for other reasons?

Last edited:
I ride when it's cold because work is a BIG portion of my life and the other half is spent with my fam...so whenever I get a chance to go from one to the other on 2 wheels...I do it:thumbsup:

It helps me have a moment of clarity each time. As long as I can dress warm enough and feel comfortable without having to worry to much about ice I can enjoy myself. :beerchug:

I ride when it's cold because I still love to ride. However, I still have my point of no return when I won't ride any more because it's just TOO DAMM COLD!!!

--Wag--

I won't ride if its going to be in the single digits or teens but thats a rarity around here. Most of the time 20's is as low as we go around here. I also won't ride if there's a chance of black ice on the road. But other than that and rain, im always on the bike.

If it is below about 25* at home I take the car. My commute is 44 miles each direction up hill:)

I live out in the sticks and it is usually 8 to 10* cooler at home than it is where I work.

Ill ride down into the 20s and still be comfortable because I have the right gear on. I have a 30 mile commute to work, and I enjoy riding and saving gas.

I lived in Idaho, just outside of Boise. :thumbsup: I rode a 1985 GS1150ES every day to work. I rode all winter long. If I could get from my drive way to the main road then I was good. :laugh: If the roads had been plowed I was riding. ??? I wore a snowmobile suit over my regular clothes. My problems were having my faceshield fog over and then freeze. Flying blind! :rulez:

If it's above freezing I ride, As a kid I would ride my dirtbike in the snow all the time. Dress correctly and it's no big deal.

I live in the country, I'm afraid riding below freezing some frost or frozen leaves are gonna sucker punch me.:boxing:

I ride everyday, rain or shine, hot or cold. I love to ride. I love the feeling of being on the bike. With proper gear and a good tuck :laugh: I don't even feel the cold on the highway. I ride almost 30 miles one way to work, so I save a ton on gas (that's Part of it) and the look you mentioned is kinda fun.

On my way home the other day, in the pouring down rain, I saw one other motorcycle. 30 miles, one other bike... Mmmmm yeah

i ride as long as i am not worried about ice or snow (they don't clear the roads around here very well but it doesn't snow very often so i'm lucky)...the reason is because i love to ride especially when there isn't anyone else on the roads which means late at night or in cold weather

i also will bundle up and ride on those single digit nights just to cruise by the Hardley bars as they are letting all their drunks out to stumble to their trucks and show them who the real rider is in this town :laugh:

i ride as long as i am not worried about ice or snow (they don't clear the roads around here very well but it doesn't snow very often so i'm lucky)...the reason is because i love to ride especially when there isn't anyone else on the roads which means late at night or in cold weather

i also will bundle up and ride on those single digit nights just to cruise by the Hardley bars as they are letting all their drunks out to stumble to their trucks and show them who the real rider is in this town :laugh:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you wear the correct gear there really is not cold weather, I have riden in the 30's and one or two times in the 20's and stay very comfort and warm.
Oh yes and the reason i like the cold weather is because the BUSA likes cold weather, runs like a raped ape in cold weather,
Loomis.

Since I don't own a cage, the decision is easy to make. :laugh:
I am sort of in that boat. My wife and I have a car. She drives it. It's ride or she can't go to work :whistle: She needs to bring home my bacon... speaking of bacon.. we are out :poke:

What gear do you guys wear to stay warm i'm not really diggin the leather pants is there another option i freeze in my jeans. but my leather jacket with a sweatshirt under does well for upperbody. i thank you guys for any help.

I ride all year round as long as there's no snow or ice on the road. I was out there this morning from 5:15 until about 6:45. It was 27* when I left the house. I rode for a little over 100 miles around I495 averaging 80mph. I just love to ride so much that I can't help it. I've been told that I'm crazy many times before. One of my co-worker asked me one time if I have a brain. I just smiled and shrugged my shoulder without saying a word. This morning, I didn't see one bike on the road. That happened to me hundreds of time in my last 3 years of riding.

I just posted yesterday my secret to keeping warm. In case you missed it, it's the hand warmers or what they call hot hands. I put them in my front shirt pockets and then layers of Under Armour, fleece sweatshirt, jacket liner and leather jacket. I also use them on the back of my hands and feet. I just have to get me a pair of leather gloves because the one I have isn't good enough.

Back