When Is It To Much

HoboJoe

Registered
Greetings all, just an up date on my search for The One....Seller wanted 6500 for this 07 with 33K on the clock. Asked him for a bottom line out the door number and he came back with nearly 6700 including all taxes and fees. Yada yada yada. Plus I would have to get it shipped 600+ miles or drive out there and trailer it home. Not quite as full of spit and vinegar as I used to be or I would simply ride it back. Seems a bit high to me but I realize he's looking to make a profit on it. As much as I want it and as clean as it appears to be I just feel that's a bit rich for my blood. Additionally, the distance between us is proving to be a problem as well. Might have to go in another direction. Any opinions? Thanks as always.

Other memebers have bought genII bikes for that amount. Dealer can probably "smell" how bad you want this bike and is trying to make the most money they can out of you.

I don't mind him making money off the deal. We all have to eat, but I'm in the mood to push him some. I'm sure the bike has been sitting for quite a while and I'll bet it will sit there for quite a while more. And the longer it does the more it takes up his valuable showroom floor space. If he has a new unit sit there for more than a certain amount of time he gets a kickback from the manufacturer. He gets nothing out of a previously owned unit sitting there. It would benefit him to clear that space for a unit with a greater profit potential. Like every business you sometimes make less on this one and make it up on the next in order to make the sale. We will see how much Businessman he has in him.

I wouldn't believe his floor room space is that valuable. Any used bike at a shop was 'bought' for low blue book or even lower so anything the dealer can get above low book is pure profit. The 07s are the last year for the Gen Is and that price is at the high end of the scale regardless of mileage or condition. Even though I love my creampuff Gen I LE, if I were in the market for a used Busa I'd probably go with a Gen II despite the rear end.:) I've also bought and sold bikes (and a car) out of state but never had one shipped. If it's just 600 miles away, settle on a price after seeing LOTS of close up pics, rent a car and head out there and ride it back if you really want it. Take a couple days, make it a mini adventure vacation. There's nothing wrong with Gen Is, they're gorgeous and fast s hell. Or, once I borrowed my daughter's pickup and drove to Montana to cart back a Ducati 999. Once I flew to WA and rented a truck to bring my 1979 CBX back. Lucky I did too as it rained every single mile back. Good luck!

Last edited:
Greetings once again. All good points on your part Mr.CBX but the dealers immediate willingness to drop his asking price by $500 indicates to me that he still has a ways to go to even reach his break even point. I would think he has at least another $500 to play with before he does. I must say however he has been easy to deal with up to this point. Courteous, professional, and standup business like. Which with me goes a long way. I just don't feel he has made his best offer yet and it's up to me to try and coax it out of him. One point I will differ with you on is the floor space thing. He only has so much sales space and while he may have bought low on the used one, it's not doing him any good sitting there and he really needs to utilize existing floor space to its greatest potential.

Much more profit in used than new, so the floor space would be beneficial for used if it's clean. It can be used as a sales tool also, to move a customer to a new unit. If it was a trade in he likely paid little or nothing for it. If you are paying cash he will deal less with you as he cannot pack on the back end of the deal.

It is simple, you need to decide what the number is. Either he meets it or you walk away. From what you are describing, you don't really care just want the best deal you can get. I understand that, but until you both decide a number we can talk all day.
With that said the bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It the next guy spends 10k to get to his home, then so be it. What are you willing to spend? What's your number?

That really is the Crux of the matter. I don't think the entire Deal is worth more than $6250 all in. And, yes I do care. Would Love to see it in my garage. And then..well you know the rest, but don't like overpaying for anything....ever, and you are correct, anything in general, is only worth what someone will pay. Have pretty much exhausted the current possibilities. Maybe I'll just lay this thing down for a while and keep my eyes on the horizon

Call him and tell him your bottom dollar, I bet he will take it. 6250 out the door and that's the deal. It might take him a day or two to call you back.

I'm not sure how long you have been negotiating, but I never do much of that. Most recent purchase was used car. Had 3 to go look at. First one was listed with wrong description so that was out, second one had a bad hit on a door and I went there and made him an OTD that he could still make money and I didn't feel like I was being ripped off. He said no so, I politely said no deal and made him aware I was headed to another dealer where they had a car with less miles and better price and that I was buying a car that day. He said it was ok and gave me his business card and told me to call him when I was "ready". I laughed inside and headed to the 3rd dealership. This 3rd vehicle even had the inspection check sheet from the manufacturer in the glove box and I told salesman I didn't like going back and forth so I was giving him an OTD and it was up to him to decide if he could do it for my number or not. I put the price on piece of paper, signed it and he went to his manager, came back 3 minutes later and shook my hand. I ended up buying a vehicle that still smelled like new and only had 22k miles for 2k less than dealership #2 wanted. A week later I get a call from dealer #2 wanting to negotiate! I told him a appreciated him reaching out,but I had been clear to him and had told him I was buying a vehicle the day I stopped by his dealer. There was a long silence and he then proceeded to wish me well with my new purchase. I think sometimes is just that their pride gets in the way and they try playing hard to get. I wouldn't be surprise if he paid 4K or less for that bike on trade in by telling the previous owner that that was a "high mileage" bike.

As always, great points on this forum. Was going to start with Twotone's advice but not give him a final # on my end at the outset. Let him think about his next move on his own for a while w/o pressuring him. As for Mabupa's though, I have had the same experience several times myself. I too think he acquired it at a very low price and he's trying to score big on it. Which I understand but can't be party to. Just as an aside, CL makes my head hurt and Cycletrader seems to be the only reputable site I can find. Any other suggestions as to where I might take this hunt? Thanks as always.

As always, great points on this forum. Was going to start with Twotone's advice but not give him a final # on my end at the outset. Let him think about his next move on his own for a while w/o pressuring him. As for Mabupa's though, I have had the same experience several times myself. I too think he acquired it at a very low price and he's trying to score big on it. Which I understand but can't be party to. Just as an aside, CL makes my head hurt and Cycletrader seems to be the only reputable site I can find. Any other suggestions as to where I might take this hunt? Thanks as always.
Not telling you what to do, but the last few vehicles I've bought were from Craigslist adds. Yes, is time consuming and frustrating, but if you filter through the junk, there is some good deals out there. When I'm searching, I tend to select "by owner" and always pay close attention to the seller,s grammar and words used. Call me crazy, but I lost count of how many things I've bought off Craigslist adds and it's worked out so far. Just try to read between the lines. Example:
-Fresh paint/custom fairings= it was dropped.
-Only 5k miles and put new x brand tire= tons of burnouts.
5k miles and babied. New fork seals= I used it to learn how to wheelie.
-Low mile bike with new sprocket and chain= I've never even seen a can of chain lube in person, much less cleaned/sprayed my chain.
You get the idea. My last Craigslist find was a 2011 Suzuki DR 650 with a little over 3k miles. Add was well written, but seller stated no aftermarket parts. I could see in the pics that the info was wrong, but called him to test him out. Turns out that he was the 2nd owner and just got it to move around town and run errands. I agreed to make the hour drive after a phone call to see if my "gut feeling" would kick in while on the phone. Once there, I asked(again), any aftermarket parts or work done besides skid plate? His answer was no. A quick look and calculation in my head and I could see even upgraded carb screws, still on the original tires and a total of about $700 worth of upgrades, so to be fair to him, i didn't even try to negotiate a lower price.
Basically, this is my long way of telling you to be patient and don't jump on the first thing you see. I was looking for a DR650 for months, but it was worth the wait, as I paid 45% of the new OTD dealer price for a bike that hasn't really changed since 1996.

Good luck and keep us posted. We all like pics of people's new rides.

Oh My. Grammar ? Verbiage ? Next you'll be telling me to check punctuation. Just having a giggle of course. Do Disrespect intended my Friend. Those items are all lost arts these days. Most parties I have spoken to off CL can hardly put together a cohesive sentence. Of course not exclusive to CL these days.! More unanswered calls, texts and E-Mails than I care to remember the last month or so. It's there ability to disregard you so easily that animates them. Quick example.... I have a really nice Drum kit I'm offering on CL. Used to be back in the day. Must have gotten 25 or 30 calls or texts from people testing the waters but none willing to get their line wet. More than anything a sign of the times I think. I'm gonna step back for a bit and see what if anything comes to me rather than chase it. As for me and that Patience thing, like Ringo said...."It don't come easy"

That was, of course, "NO" disrespect intended my Friend. I'm a little punchy after 500+ miles last night!!!

Back