When is a Chain gone bad?

ProvorseD

Registered
I have had my OEM chain for the 31k miles I have on my busa. When should I change it? A buddy of mine says he can hear it. I can hear it if Im near a wall or even a curb. It's not loose. I keep it at the proper tension and lubed up well.

Many of my local riding idiot group have had chain issues.

One guys chain broke and went into his engine. He has to replace and rebuild. Funny story, his new chain came in the mail the next day.

A few others just had their stuff break on the freeway.

I would like to avoid all the mess and just replace my chain when its due. How do I know though?

Put the bike up on a rear stand, if you have one. Check the chain by lifting up gently to check for resistence between the links. The resistence to movement between links should be uniform throughout it's length. If not, it's time. Also, if the sound from your chain while riding reminds you more of a German Panzer than a motorcycle, it is time. Remember to changes both sprockets as well. :beerchug:

Here.

Chain Stretch.jpg

Visual inspections usually tell you a lot, but when I start feeling the click I know it's time. I need a chain and sprocket kit myself.

most likely ever link is stretched and only fitting the sprockets because they are worn.
I replaced my Gen1's chain with a DID X-ring and it was silky smooth afterwards....that was at 16k miles and 3 winters.

Chains will usually wear out first in a single link or a string of connected links. The easiest way to know if a chain is worn, and the earliest indicator, is to listen to the chain when you are accelerating from a stop. A worn chain, even if you have only one link going bad, will pop as it goes over the sprocket. You can also feel it in the foot pegs.

Thanks for all the info guys. It runs smooth as ever. I keep it lubed up pretty well.

Guess I'll be getting new chain and sprockets with my new set of tires.

Who in the world has calipers >12"?? Got to add another tool to my wishlist, lol. Yeah, that's a ton of miles on a chain/sprocket set. Pat yourself on the back for taking good care of it and go get another set to use and use and use!

Any suggested kits? Or is buying each part independently better?

Whats brand chain and sprockets are you guys switching to during your swaps?

Back