When do you need heavy duty head studs?

jermzfree

Registered
I am putting an rcc stage 1 kit in my 02 and am going to make 6lbs of boost. I have my engine in a hundred pieces and considering going with heavy duty head studs, in the event down the road I want to add an water/methanol injection and crank up the boost. At what boost threshold do heavy duty studs become a good idea to have? Do you also need to upgrade the crank case bolts as well?

I put RCC stage1 kit on my 06, left it stock, and playing around with it leaving work one night I blew the head gasket, if you have it apart now, it's the best time to go ahead and put head studs in, the stock ones will stretch.

Don't try to save money on a turbo job. Goldenchild can help you out. There a lot of "must have" pieces and he can tell you what they are. I know you need stainless valves but there is a lot more. Good Luck!

Talk to Frank at Powerhouse, he'll tell you what is needed, and he won't try to sell you anything you don't need, he's also a sponsor on here.:thumbsup:

There a lot of "must have" pieces and he can tell you what they are. I know you need stainless valves but there is a lot more. Good Luck!

Your thinking of the 08's+ but I am getting the valves re-cut with a 5 angle cut instead of oem 2 angle. It was explained to me that this helps dissipate heat, reducing the risk of predetonation. Edges can heat up easier and faster.

I don't like changing the valve seat from std, they seem to last forever if left alone ,

for basic boost build , my list would be studs,cometic gasket, spacerplate(maybe only .040 for low boost), valve springs, ceramic coat the pistons,
that would get you a very safe 6-8 psi if tuned right

I don't like changing the valve seat from std, they seem to last forever if left alone ,

for basic boost build , my list would be studs,cometic gasket, spacerplate(maybe only .040 for low boost), valve springs, ceramic coat the pistons,

How much of a compression drop would a .04 spacer give?

Im also having the piston edges rounded off slightly. Sharp edges heat up faster.

I am planning on getting a conservative tune prob a little rich. I have no intentions of taking it to the track, purly a street bike.

per an email convo i had w/ frank about a week ago:

"A Stage One Turbo kit makes for a great all-around street bike- one that you can commute with daily, or even take to the track once in a while. Although you could bolt it directly onto your stock motor, I would recommend that you do not. For a budget-minded customer, I would recommend at least cylinder studs and a spacer plate. Additionally, a high-output oil pump gear (which also spins the water pump faster) would be a plus, as would a welded clutch mod and some stronger springs, along with a slave support.
That combination right there will get you 260+ rear wheel on pump fuel, and a reliable, everyday, fun bike"

Good luck with the head stud mod

Let us know if you decide to do it

head studs.jpg

Back