When Did The Hayabusa Switch From Unrestricted To Restricted?

Tony_Beech

Registered
I believe it was 2000... but what exactly is the rule? Bikes made before a particular date? What WAS the restriction the appled to limit the bikes top speed?

The first two years were unrestricted. In 2001 the international 300kph top speed rules went into effect for production motorcycles.

I would say it was a gentleman's handshake between the biggies (Suzuki, Kawi, Honda, Yamaha) *** NOTE BMW wasn't even in the running back then *** to agree to self legislate the limit the bikes to 189mph in an effort to keep the govt from stepping in and overseeing the speed wars.

BMW are in the running now? I would never buy a BMW....

Yeah I used to say that too! HOWEVER, I would ride the heck out of one could I afford it..

p90162338_highres.jpg

I would say it was a gentleman's handshake between the biggies (Suzuki, Kawi, Honda, Yamaha) *** NOTE BMW wasn't even in the running back then *** to agree to self legislate the limit the bikes to 189mph in an effort to keep the govt from stepping in and overseeing the speed wars.

That's 186 Cap, 300 kph=186.411. However some bikes are exceeding that number without restrictions these days.

That's 186 Cap, 300 kph=186.411. However some bikes are exceeding that number without restrictions these days.

Come on, can't a guy get a lousy free 3mph :)

However some bikes are exceeding that number without restrictions these days

I said gentlemen very loosely.....

The first two years were unrestricted. In 2001 the international 300kph top speed rules went into effect for production motorcycles.

There was and are no "rules".
Just an agreement between Japanese manufacturers for 2001 and after to hold to 300kph, before big government would want to pass laws limiting top speed.

It's so easy to derestrict bikes for the last ten years, "restricted" means nada. A good flash and whatever else you need will make a small difference but really, these bikes are so fast restricted, a lot of us (myself included) will ride the bike the whole time we own it and never hit top speed. A fraction of the power is actually useable for 98% of the situations we encounter on the street. With years of experience we might start to push the limits enough to sincerely say we can use more power but even then, another hundred hp isn't going to make the bike go way faster. These things are almost doing 200 mph out of the box FCOL!

Back