When did the Busa become unsafe?

HRHDi

Dont Call Me "MeeMaw"
Donating Member
Registered
I've seen/heard this quite a bit lately...that the Hayabusa is unsafe. People are saying to get a "safer" bike. :dunno: Is there a mechanical safety issue that I'm not aware of? Something like it bursts into flame at 78 mph? The seat falls off if you lean it more than 13.4%?

Or are these people blaming the Busa for their inability to ride safely or within their ability? Are they perceiving a cruiser or smaller sport bike to be safer because it lacks the ability to provide an extreme adrenalin rush? I'm not dis'in' these bikes (heck, I own a V-star 650 and a Vino Classic scooter). But let's be honest and admit it's a different kind of riding.

IMO - that smaller, slower bike isn't safer, it simply lacks something the Busa has therefore taking the decision to ride unsafely out of the rider's hands.

Or am I missing something? Which is entirely possible

Last edited:
Di, I have heard the same thing. But I think you hit the nail on the head.

The Busa requires many thing from the rider that most people now days do not have.
#1 Common Sense
#2 Self Control
#3 A Brain

Dan will be OK, Don't worry about the bike going up in flames or breaking apart during re-entry.:laugh: It just wont happen

My father got rather upset (not angry, but worried) when I bought mine. I'm 35 years old for starters,I think I have the maturity to ride the beast. And secondly, I wear gear, where he drives a Harley and doesn't even wear a helmet.

I told him that I could wreck at 150 mph and possibly walk away, whereas he could wreck at 5mph and die instantly. (cross my fingers neither happens)

Last edited:
Dan will be OK, Don't worry about the bike going up in flames or breaking apart during re-entry.:laugh: It just wont happen

:laugh:

I'm not worried about him. I was (facitiously) making sure he wouldn't fall victim to this line of thinking and trade Salmalina for a Sofa-on-Wheels. We won't need one of those for at least 20-25 years.

I'm not worried about him. I was (facitiously) making sure he wouldn't fall victim to this line of thinking and trade Salmalina for a Sofa-on-Wheels. We won't need one of those for at least 20-25 years.

I will make sure he sees this and that you said as I quote "Are not worried about him":poke:
Dan has all 3 of the things most people don't have. Besides you are correct you do not need a sofa on wheels, you can come up here nad ride mine any time.:whistle:

Diana - I just can not picture you and Dan on the sofa-on-wheels. You two are too cool for that. :laugh: :laugh:

I've seen/heard this quite a bit lately...that the Hayabusa is unsafe. People are saying to get a "safer" bike. :dunno: Is there a mechanical safety issue that I'm not aware of? Something like it bursts into flame at 78 mph? The seat falls off if you lean it more than 13.4%?

Or are these people blaming the Busa for their inability to ride safely or within their ability? Are they perceiving a cruiser or smaller sport bike to be safer because it lacks the ability to provide an extreme adrenalin rush? I'm not dis'in' these bikes (heck, I own a V-star 650 and a Vino Classic scooter). But let's be honest and admit it's a different kind of riding.

IMO - that smaller, slower bike isn't safer, it simply lacks something the Busa has therefore taking the decision to ride unsafely out of the rider's hands.

Or am I missing something? Which is entirely possible
I think you hit it and missed it..

but I think the problem is that if you ride outside your ability on one of the other bikes? you are likely going a lot slower.. (excluding the 600cc Super sport class bikes, easily just as dangerous as the busa, however, much more nimble) Your choice to ride unsafely is compounded by the bike you are on.. IE: 175HP vs 65HP are going to generate two distinct levels of ouch on impact :)

I think you got it on the other part too.. "Different kind of riding" I think the cruiser rider has a different mind set when riding.. (I know I feel completely different about riding when on the HD) I do not recall ever riding wheelies or hitting 100+ on the Heritage.. just not any fun and so average speeds are a lot lower..

The other factor? rider awareness...

I think this one might just go to the sport bike riders.. riding at a higher level? seems to me they would be a bit more aware of their surroundings? this could be offset by the increased speed ? I dunno...

Not every rider wants to "master" the machine, many are content to just "ride along" and enjoy the sport where others? well... that takes no explaination here I think :whistle:

I think if it was possible to take "ego" out of the buying equation, a lot less beginners would be buying a bike that is clearly out of their riding ability.. (just my opinion) after 30+ years of street riding? it is out of my riding ability but I just can not help myself.. :laugh:

best part of this sport? room for everyone.. you gotta admit, it is kind of fun when they look at you in genuine fear about the bike... :laugh:

Last edited:
It's not that the bike is unsafe, indeed, it has a terrific chassis (and motor! :)), but that it's dangerous because of the rider.

The big motor encourages some people to show off (popping wheelies, doing donuts in the parking lot, etc.)

And for "sport" riding, well, that big motor can get a rider into big trouble in a hurry. Too much power builds speed too quickly, entering the next turn wayyy to fast, that sort of thing.

So the Busa itself is not dangerous, but it does demand more respect than machines with much less power.

Any differences in "safety" involve the rider, and not the machine. A good rider will be just as "safe" on a busa as he would on any other bike. The variable comes from riding smart, and within your limits. Having said that, the busa is definitely not a bike for those lacking maturity and self control, but neither are the 600cc supersport bikes either..... A friggin' scooter can be unsafe as well if you insist on riding like a squid.

D

So, by using Lurch, Bogus & Ajay's response, it isn't the bike, it's the rider. Which is what I suspected.

I suppose that to me it's like blaming the dog for biting a child who poked him in the eye. The dog is only doing what instincts dictate - the adult humans are responsible for the bite, not the dog. The Busa is only doing what it was built to do, it's not responsible for taking a corner too fast or riding a wheeling for 6 miles. The rider is responsible for riding safely and within his/her ability.

Just my opinion.

Yea I would agree for the most part but the bike is certainly an aggravating circumstance.. Just just multiplies "Stupid acts" by 1300 instead of 650.. :laugh:

Poking a Poodle in the eye is a lot safer than poking a rottie in the eye... (both are going to hurt however :) )

Last edited:
It's dangerous to the rider in the same way that so many things to can be dangerous to the user. For example(s):

A gun can be dangerous to the shooter
A steak knife can be dangerous to the diner
A fork lift can be dangerous to the operator
A bottle of sleeping pills can be dangerous to the pill popper
A hammer can be dangerous to the thumb
A zipper can be dangerous to the male member
A crosswalk can be dangerous to the pedestrian
The sun can be dangerous to the human
A cigarette can be dangerous to the smoker (AND EVERYBODY else! :poke:)
A drink can be dangerous to the to the drinker
A controlled substance can be dangerous to the user
A cleaning agent can be dangerous to the cleaner
A stop light can be dangerous to the drivers passengers
A fire can be dangerous to the fire tender
An extension cord can be dangerous to the user
A candle can be dangerous to the user
A stairway can be dangerous to the user

Please, everyone, feel free to add to the list...

Don't get me started about my 26 HP riding mower mishap..
Never had to worry with my 5 HP push mower!:poke::laugh:

Guns don't kill people; people kill people.

Replace "gun" with "hayabusa"

Because the bike has so MUCH power, it has such a great potential for getting away from even an experienced rider, that's the increased risk. And because it is known as the world's most powerful production motorcycle (true or not), it draws alot of people whose primary draw is bragging rights.

I've had the "sportbikes are more dangerous" debate many times and (for me) I believe that a sportbike is much more safe.

Using a couple specs from the 2009 Harley-Davidson Fatboy and 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa I can see:

Dry weight:
Fatboy = 694 lbs
Busa = 573 lbs

Brakes:
Fatboy = Disc front and rear
Busa = Dual disc front and single rear

So a Fatboy is heavier and has less braking. I haven't even touched on the fact that the geometry on a sportbike allows it to be much more nimble.

My first cruiser taught me many things. Paramount was they are great until you have to speed up, slow down, or avoid things.

I still ride cruisers from time to time, but I find that I have a much larger "danger zone" and watch myself accordingly.

Don't get me started about my 26 HP riding mower mishap..
Never had to worry with my 5 HP push mower!:poke::laugh:
now ya know we would have forgotten that but nooooooo, you reminded us of the infamous... " I rolled my mower" :rofl:

(question is, did he have is "mowing' gear on?)

buckloan-main_Full.jpg

Last edited:
Di,
I here the same thing from a lot of riders. I feel that these comments you here is not because there is a safety issue with the Busa. Just that its a bigger and faster machine that requires a certain level of respect and handling that some people don't feel they have. So they stick with a smaller bike. The speed, G-force and weight makes the Busa a bike that requires a certain type of rider that whether expert or new rider they just have a natural skill level to keep the bike tamed no matter how aggesive they are riding. Its just a natural ability. Beleive it or not, there are a big group of riders that can't qualify to ride a Busa or a ZX-14 just because they just don't have that natural instinct and feel to know what to do or what they are doing wrong. So they just stay away from the bike period and stick with something smaller. This is what I have realized talking to people who have smaller bikes like a 750 or 1000 that tell me straight out that the Busa is just too much bike for them.

I agree with Bogus and many of the other members. It's the potential for trouble that the Busa provides to riders that either don't have the skills or experience or the decision making ability to control it. The power of this bike is very addictive and thats one reason you read articles by sportbike journalists that state that they couldn't own a Busa for fear of losing their licence. With this kind of temptation it is the loss of a licence too, not just speeding tickets as speed builds sooooo rapidly that before you know it......oops, am I going THAT fast? Errrr....sorry officer.....

The other night I was out for a ride in my usual country two lane highways and I let it rip for a couple of seconds. As I rounded a bend I looked up ahead and saw front to back police cars in a parking area with the officers talking to each other. I quickly got off the throttle and toodled by at the speed limit of 80 kph. As I proceeded up the roadway I see a GSXR1000 coming towards me. All the sudden the front wheel comes up and he does an extended power wheelie right past , at very high speed, as I give him the wave. Right then I think....uh oh, I should have flashed my lights or given him a signal about the cop cars ahead!

I didn't look back but my bet his that his night did not end well at the side of the road with flashing lights in his mirror.

Temptation is hard sometimes.

Back