When changing your oil?

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Do ya do it when the bikes Hot, warm or cold?

Ive always figured it should be decently warm so all the crap would be suspended in the oil and drain out nicely rather than just sit in the pan and get in the fresh oil.

I usually ride a bit, and let the bike cool for as long as it take me to get the fairing off off and gather my wrenches and oil pan, then out it comes.

So, whats you oil changin habit and why?

PS- No arguing about what oil is better, unless you use something unusual, like Canola oil:laugh:

I put the bike up on the stands, pull the fairing off, start it and let it run for a few minutes. Shut it off and let it sit for a 5-10 or until the header is cool enough to touch. Then I change the oil and filter. :thumbsup:

Well Fast...err, I mean Rooster :laugh: I've done it all ways and never noticed much diff. My new oil changes color in the sight glass in the same time frame whether I did it cold, hot, or anything in between. It seems like I'm getting about the same amount of old oil and dirt out regardless. I think as long as you change it regularly with quality oil you're golden.
I've been changing it cold lately tho, tired of dealing with hot metal and bare skin, plus its easier to make my tinfoil protector for the header, to keep the oil off those shiny pipes, and direct it back into the pan when I pull the oil filter off :thumbsup: plus cleanups just much easier in general.

Hot, bring her in off a ride, throw her on stands and drain the oil. While it's draining I open up the bottom of the fairing reach in and spin the filter off. Throw a little of the burnt oil on the o-ring and spin the new filter on. Button the fairing back up. When it has completely drained I carefully and gently replace the oil drain plug and pour most of my 4 quarts in. Check the sight glass and crank her up. :poke:

I put the bike up on the stands, pull the fairing off, start it and let it run for a few minutes. Shut it off and let it sit for a 5-10 or until the header is cool enough to touch. Then I change the oil and filter. :thumbsup:

+1
How I do it too.

I get the bike up to operating temp. pull the drain plug let the oil drain for about 20 mins then remove the oil filter and let that drain and blow the oil out of the oil cooler.

I have done both hot and cold.... And dont have a problem with either method. I do notice it flows better warm, but I am in no rush. I just let it drain longer when cold on the stand.

The right way is to drain warm.

For a very good reason, I don't though. The reason is I am too lazy, as it is a hassle.:whistle:

I use a mixture of pledge and wd-40 in my home brew synthetic

Dyno is better.:whistle:

sinclairopalineoilcan.jpg

And, if you have something 600cc, or smaller, mix in a little of this.

baby-oil.jpg

sinclairopalineoilcan.jpg

baby-oil.jpg

I was taught by my Dad many years ago, to warm it up so all the micro pieces are in the oil, and not sitting in the bottom of the pan. Now I just learned from Lankee Perfectionist Donn Yankee that I should blow the oil out of the cooler. Oil changes are going to suck :banghead:

when the bike is cold most of the oil has settled to the bottom of the pan so you get most of it out since its all settled in the pan BUT some still stays suspended on the internals....when you warm it up all you do is re introduce the oil to the top end and by the time it completely drains back into the pan the bike should be cool so either way your not getting it all out. Do your maintenance at recommended intervals and you should be good no matter how you change your oil. If you do your oil changes on time and use a quality filter then most of the "particles" you guys are talking about should get caught by the filter...if you still have stuff at the bottom of the pan then more than likely your not changing it on time,your using a cheap filter/oil, or something is going bad inside your engine.

i warm up the motor because i was taught that when you drain it cold the top part of the motor has a span of time where it doesnt get lubricated when you start it up after you add oil to it cold which can cause damage

Back