When adjusting the chain...

Sometimes, when you don't loosen the tq arm, the wheel will cant in or out due to pressure on the axle. I loosen the bolt on the caliper side and then retighten it after I have tq'd the axle nut

i adjusted my chain and got it in spec about 100 miles ago, is everything fine or does that need to be redone.... i dont quite understand what you are saying by the way

Why does the "torque link nut" need to be loosened?

Well the mount that the brake caliper hands from has to slide forward and backward with the wheel when making adjustments. It can't easily do that when the torque link is bolted tight and trying to hold it in place. That's why you loosten the torque link.

And to be a little more accurate, I guess the caliper mount acutally rotates a bit instead of sliding perfectly forward and backward. Again, the torque link comes into play when rotating and should be loosened while making adjustments.

You need to loosen it so that the caliper can work its way around the disc arc as the wheel is gradually moved back over time. This ensures that any grooves on the pads, will still match the grooves on the disc. If you don't do it, then you will prematurely wear the pads and disc.

Back