Wheelie question

Tach up to around 9k in 1st or 2nd(the slower you go the easier it will be), let off the gas quickly.
When the rpms fall to around 6k, snap the gas open hard. The stock busa WILL stand up to 11 o'clock with ease(or higher, or over backwards:laugh:). You can keep it in the balance point that high and literally go a mile or two in 2nd(or 1st).

I used to power wheelie when I first got the bike in first and second around 8000 rpm. I now find that when I get on it I automatically lean forward and tuck down so she does not come up. I'm a bigun at 250 lbs and 6'4" so you shouldn't have any problem. Just stretch out your arms and lean back and she should come up nice and slow during a roll on in those two gears. You will have to force the throttle closed cause the g forces will want to pull you off the bike and force you to hold the throttle open. Probably not the best form for a wheelie but then again I am not a stunter. I don't do it anymore cause I want my fork seals to last.

You asked about moving back towards the hump...it'll wheelie either way but the position of your body definitely makes a difference when you are talking about a balance point.

Balance and position will make a difference on how much power/throttle you need to come up and keep it up.

Of course you can tell I like clutching it but rolls ons make pretty much the same difference in this repect.

PS: Do not try this at home~!~

Are you sure you're in "A" mode? I'm 225 and live at 4500FT (SLC Utah). If I roll on the throttle in 1st gear, I can't keep the front down once it's at 6k on up. Check your mode selector, it shouldn't really have to "make" it come up especially in 1st at WOT.

its the black/red. i can see in yalls pics that you dont think i have the fast color.... but I'd have to argue:lol: maybe i need to just quit being a vagina and let her eat :laugh:

Yes untuck your nutsack and get a handful, grip it and rip it.

Sir, please return your blk/red model to the closest Suzuki dealer and trade it on the White model ASAP they are known to sell out fast and wheelie away!!:thumbsup:
If the white models are sold out find a fat girl friend. :laugh:

Damn nice bunny hops there buster! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Busa&Coal,

Before we all go any further on this subject.......just curious what your background is?!?
* How long have you been riding, all up (...including all other roadbikes before the busa (both high and low capacity); dirt and trailbikes; etc)?
* If you have had a lot of years under your belt riding other machinery, have you ever managed to successfully ride [controlled B/P] wheelies on anything else?
* Do you know exactly where 'true' balance-point is?!?
* Have you ever flipped/looped a bike, whilst attempting a [high or low speed] wheelie?!?
* When you do attempt wheelies, do you 'cover' your rear brake pedal?

The busa is an absolutely awesome bike to ride on one wheel....but definately not an 'ideal' bike to learn how to do wheelies, due to the huge amount of power on tap [...of which you'd be fully aware of by now] that could very quickly and quite easily get an inexperienced one-wheel rider into a whole LOT of trouble (ie: a totally trashed bike and massive amounts of road rash....not to mention many other situations and/or injuries that could be much, MUCH worse)!!

Please don't get me wrong....I'm not trying to discourage you from riding your busa on one wheel in any way at all....quite the opposite, actually!!

In my humble opinion.....nothing else feels or looks better, and also requires as much skill, daring and bravado.....as riding big-bore sportsbikes at balance point at high (125 miles+) speed!!!

I just don't wanna see you get hurt.....:please:

I've devoted my whole riding career (35+yrs) to engaging in this activity.....and there have been many trashed bikes and injuries in the process (and I hate to admit it, but there'll probably be a few more)!!!

But the obsession will ALWAYS continue on and evolve.....for the simple fact that it doesn't really matter how good your last wheelstand was....because the next one (and the next one, and the one after that one) has to be BETTER and HIGHER and HARDER and FASTER than the LAST one!!! :thumbsup:

It's not really the sort of stunt that can ever be truly and totally mastered, because once you know how to do low floating power wheelies, you'll want to do balance-point wheelies, then stand-up wheelies, then one-handed BP wheelies, then one-handed feet out the sides BP wheelies, and so on and so forth!!! It can, and may very well be...all consuming!!

The best advice that I could possibly give you on this pastime/activity/obsession (....apart from obviously learning to do them on smaller and much more docile machinery.....but who wants to bother with that?!? :whistle: ) is the really basic stuff that many tend to overlook:-

* find a very quiet and appropriate place to practice (far away from and totally clear of any obstacles such as other bikes & vehicles, people, animals, etc) that has lots of space and exceptional traction.
* make sure your head is in the right place....ie: cool, calm & collected (...attempting w/stands directly after having a massive fight/argument with your g/f or wife or boss and you're angry and p*ssed off with the whole world is definately NOT the best time.....ask me how I know! :laugh: )
* think BIG >>> but start off SMALL, and take your time!!! (it can be a long learning curve......so don't rush it!)
* VISUALIZE it!!!!! (before you head out.....go over the whole process in your mind, from start to finish....over and over and over again!) The body achieves what the mind believes!! This technique is used the world over by highly successful sportspeople, professional athletes, business people.....and anyone else that wants to achieve a winning outcome to any given problem/situation!!
* cover your rear brake pedal....and be ready to use it if you need to! (this one sounds pretty obvious, but it's amazing how many forget this when they are learning wheelies). One of the best examples of recovering from a wheelie gone really, really wrong (ie: past 12 o'clock) can be seen by googling "Max Biaggi wheelie" (soz....don't know how to embed or link to video here?!?)
* stick to 1st gear roll-ons for now....they are definately the safest way to start out! Wind the throttle on quickly, but also smoothly and progressively, and the front wheel will come up nice & predictably, without scaring the f*ck outta yourself!
* Fanning/dumping the clutch in 1st or 2nd isn't good practice when you're just starting out learning wheelies.....way to violent and unpredictable, and a sure-fire recipe for going way past BP when you don't necessarily want to!!
and like E Zurcher previously mentioned....
* have the most of your body weight to the back of your seat!! (depending on your positioning, you can use your body weight to bring your front end higher or lower.....and even to get your bike to go round curves on one wheel...if you're game!?!)
And the most important advice of all......have lotsa fun and keep it safe!!

The body achieves what the mind believes[/B][/I]!! This technique is used the world over by highly successful sportspeople, professional athletes, business people.....and anyone else that wants to achieve a winning outcome to any given problem/situation!!![/B][/I]

Skydvr believes he can jump out of a perfectly good airplance on a perfectly good Busa and land one wheel up :laugh:

The best advise I can give you is:

Anyone giving advise to a beginning novice and incorporating "Cover your rear brake" thank them for the advise and ignore their input because they are still a novice themselves and most likely never visited the balance point much less maintain it. If you loop your bike its going to happen so quick you won't have time to fart much less think about applying the rear brake.

In the beginning you don't need to be lifting the front tire more than knee high for quite some time. The first step is to learn how to get the tire off the pavement. For most, that's only about six inch bunny hops.

How do you eat an elephant?

One small bite at a time!

Same for wheelies, one small bite at a time!

Wheelies are addictive so be particular where and when you lift the tire or your license could end up in jeopardy.

Have fun!

The best advise I can give you is:

Anyone giving advise to a beginning novice and incorporating "Cover your rear brake" thank them for the advise and ignore their input because they are still a novice themselves and most likely never visited the balance point much less maintain it. If you loop your bike its going to happen so quick you won't have time to fart much less think about applying the rear brake.

In the beginning you don't need to be lifting the front tire more than knee high for quite some time. The first step is to learn how to get the tire off the pavement. For most, that's only about six inch bunny hops.

How do you eat an elephant?

One small bite at a time!

Same for wheelies, one small bite at a time!

Wheelies are addictive so be particular where and when you lift the tire or your license could end up in jeopardy.

Have fun!
i agree...i started with small 1st gear wheelies and progressed from that...everyone is focusing on the wheel lift more than the actual landing the bike back down which in my opinion is just as critical....trust me you don't want to get handle bar shaking violently when you land your bike....just take it slow and you'll be good..

The color of the bike has nothing to do with it :laugh:
I have the same bike, same color and well lets just say my bike does wheelies like nothing. My rear tire is about half gone at 1600 miles and haven't done 1 burnout. 1st gear at about 35 mph it comes up shift into 2nd around 70 mph and set it down around 95 mph. Makes me smile every time!

i like sit down wheelies but not as much as a stand up ones. when i do a sit down wheelie, its ether all throttle or sometimes i clutch it. When i do a stand up wheelies, I am off the seat, in second gear around 6k rpm, let off and then crank it till it comes up then release some to control. I can switch from 2nd to 3rd, but always start in second. 1st gear wheelies have too much power and require little to no effort. I have never tried to start in 3rd, to high of a gear I think. in second gear coming down off a wheelie, you're looking at at least 140mph..

Might i make a suggestion...dont do it! From what you described white knuckle hanging on etc. you need to learn more about riding and tech before you go killing yourself. There is a big difference between doing wheelies on dirtbikes and smaller machines like 600s etc. This big girl will rock your world. She heavy coming down and isnt very friendly going up either. I would suggest hanging out riding more and practice with something that is a little less heavy and costly to replace. Once again im not trying to be rude but from what i read of your post you arent ready to be trying the big girl on one wheel yet.

Buy an 80cc dirt bike and learn wheelies the right way.

I'm always amazed at folks who want to learn to wheelie on a street bike.
Maybe just me cuz that's how I learned (and I still ain't all that) but you have to learn the basics on something basic before going to a sportbike or worse a Busa.
Find a field borrow friends kids dirt bike and go learn how to carry the front wheel with your right wrist....ie...throttle control. Time seems to both speed up and slow down once the front wheel comes up. You must learn to realize the speed at which things are happening are process it so you can still control it.

I've flipped countless times...unfortunately :) even some of my beloved street bikes got looped and destroyed . I always tried to cover the brake but never could cuz as Tuff says I didnt have time. Again I'm not a wheelie king and don't really even do them anymore. I like a nice 2 gear roll on power wheelie about six inches off the ground, drop it down easy hit 3rd and hammer it....mmmmm....adrenalin tastes great.

Its like getting launched off a carrier. Once you hit 30 you become a little more brittle every year. For the record I don't jump street bikes anymore either.

I like a nice 2 gear roll on power wheelie about six inches off the ground, drop it down easy hit 3rd and hammer it....mmmmm....adrenalin tastes great.

Back