Wheelie on a BUSA??!?!

quazy

Registered
Hey everyone Im new to hayabusa.org. I just bought a 2000 Blue/Silver Hayabusa 3 days ago and have already put 200 miles on it by just cruising and getting use to it. I have owned numerous bikes, but I have to say that this Busa is everything everyone talks about!!! It is the most powerful, smoothest, and all around bike I have ever dreamed of... Very impressive!

I have not opened up my Busa all the way, and probably never will. (hehe)
But anyway, my bike is totally bone stock and was wondering if it is possible for the front wheel to come off the ground on a level road by just going through the gears and redlining the tack?? These are made a little bit longer then the other sport bikes and am curious if its possible to accidently pull a wheelie on a stock busa without dropping the clutch?

I am not a newbie, I have a quite a few years under my belt and It kind of sounds like a dumb question, but I am not one to pull wheelies, and do tricks like some of these guys and dont want any surprises if I decide to open it up and see what its all about.

Yep...It's possible...1st gear is the one that should concern you the most...If you either dump or roll on the throttle very quickly your off and rolling on one wheel...The Busa will also do roll ons in 2nd but not as surprising...Have fun and twist that throttle...Roll out...

Speaking from my experience... 1st gear is wicked!! Becareful just like Stunnah said because a quick roll on in 1st will definately stand her up. One day I was racing this car at a stop light going down hill. So thinking I was going down hill I'd be able to get more on the throttle...light turned green...did easy launch to about 15mph...then yanked on her...wouldn't you know she stood straight up!! Scared the sh!t out of me!! The only thing I was holding on to was the handlebars. Feet was just off there...believe me...that'll never happen again!! Well...Ok I better not say never.

As for stock...I'd recommend getting a TRE. It will help to have a more predictable 1st gear. If your wondering what a TRE is...go to the Modification section or go to www.hayabusazone.com and click on the TRE (non-turbo) model to see what its about.

Not just possible but easy and fun...It will come up quick in first if you twist the throttle in a rush.   If you want it to come up so you get a feel for it, get going in first at about 5000RPM, roll off the throttle then quick crank it back open to about 1/2 throttle.  No body english, no bouncing the forks, no weight shift, just twist and hold on tight.  She will come up pretty quick but the Busa has a long enough wheel base that you have plenty of time to react.  Just be careful on your landings, try not to just chop the throttle closed, she's a big ole' bike and if you chop the throttle she comes down pretty hard.
 Have fun, and remember wheelies are illegal...Johny Law will sometimes have a lot of heartburn with them, especially if you are in traffic...

Oh Yeah, WELCOME....

Nope can't be done.........especially in second and third gear.

fixed_standup.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible?
rock.gif
? they come up like nothing if yer on er hard in 1st.
BTW....if you have it up in first....you may as well carry it to the end of second.....then hit third......pretty freaky though 100+ mph wheelies......only done it twice now......Probably not gonna do it again....starves the engine of oil....and I'm not a Higg.

All,

I'm a little worried. Am I the only one that has a problem doing roll ons in second? The only mod I have is a TRE and I know It is working fine (cluch pull test). I can only get the front to rise 1 or 2 inches no matter what, I have tried it all over the tach in second. I have heard some people say the factory mistakenly put their timing chain 1 tooth off, it seems hard to believe that could happen on a large scale with automated manufacturing. Is there an easy way to tell? I can do roll ons all day in first. I have also heard dropping a tooth on the front sprocket will make it easier to roll on in second at the expense of some top end speed, any thoughts?

All,

I'm a little worried.  Am I the only one that has a problem doing roll ons in second?  The only mod I have is a TRE and I know It is working fine (cluch pull test).  I can only get the front to rise 1 or 2 inches no matter what, I have tried it all over the tach in second.  I have heard some people say the factory mistakenly put their timing chain 1 tooth off, it seems hard to believe that could happen on a large scale with automated manufacturing.  Is there an easy way to tell?  I can do roll ons all day in first.  I have also heard dropping a tooth on the front sprocket will make it easier to roll on in second at the expense of some top end speed, any thoughts?
Orion....what do you weigh......my 155lb cousin can roll on in 2nd on my Busa.....if he works it a hair.(leans back and gives it a tug....the bike that is)
I weigh 245.......I have to bring it up to bout 8k then stab the throttle shut then whack it back open fast then it's way up and I'm gone...... yeeeee haaaaa

Ho yes its possible...a was racing a bit wit friend in 3grs +- 75 80mph at the end ove a curve a opend full trotlle .....I allmost recive the handlle bar in the teath...take good care .a back flip at that speed shoud be the last one...good luck!

I weigh 185
At 185 you should be able to work that thing up in 2nd.
If not... try taking it up to 8k....close the throttle fast then stab it back open again.......it should deffinately lift.
Don't know what to tell ya if it doesn't.
Just be careful......comes up real hard and real fast.......not to mention the fact that yer travelling around 80 mph.

oy yeah it can wheelie. Personally I don't like to wheelie, I'm into scraping pegs and hard acceleration. When I rollon the power to quickly in 1st or 2nd, with all my weight on the handle bars to keep the nose down, it still comes up. And 1st would probably flip me if I don't let up. It all depends how quickly you rollon the power. So yes the Busa can wheelie, even when you don't want it to..................P.S.- Why does everyone think the Busa won't wheelie? I mean 175hp @ the crank, hello???

It wheelies in a whole lot of different ways fur shure!

Here are the ways I have done it:

1. From a start: Practicing my racing starts, I ALWAYS pull the wheel up a couple of inches at around 3,500 RPM + a clutch dump. If I rev any higher and dump the clutch that baby picks up like a drunken ho on Bourbon Street and I have to pull the clutch in a good amount to prevent looping.

2. 1st gear roll-on: Get between 4,500 and 5,500 and do like the others have said, "snap throttle off and kick it back on hard." This method is pretty sweet once you have practiced it some.

3. 2nd gear roll-on: Same as first only you are travelling a little faster... This one feels "safer" than the 1st gear one to me since the bike raises a little slower and more under control.

4. During shift: When racing my buddies, I have pulled wheelies between 1st and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd, and even 3rd and 4th by keeping the throttle on while I clutch and shift. When I dump the clutch, she pulls up smoothly.

Safety suggestions: Anytime you are planning to wheelie (until you get good and used to it), hoover your right toes over the rear brake pedal and at least two fingers over the clutch lever. Remember what Keith Code says, "the throttle goes both ways." Also, remember to keep the front wheel straight, or you will induce the shimmies that would rival Elvis' leg during a rendition of Blue Suede Shoes.

BTW - anytime you pull the clutch in to lower her, roll the throttle off a bit too... This will prevent burning it up (as quickly).

-Vaughn.

Its true that the busa needs no "body english" to wheelie. It's heavy enough and has enough compression braking that a quick roll off will "bounce" the front forks enough to give pause and leverage, comes right up. Careful though, Chris

Not to mention...slammin down hard..hurts yer Privates..darn gas tank..TRUE.Yep..groggy after night of partying...rollin' out from a motel..full gas first gear will put you on the ground..
The bike is a true monster..pure love..and you have to be the Master..all good..too much is just right.."You are in control of your own destiny"......as it should be....PaceM.

bummer dood, I kinda have a simular problem, I cant seem to keep my bike from doing a wheelie, if I crack it too much in third exiting corners the wheel comes off the pavement, I am getting used to it though.

Well I gotta say, all you guys sound pretty cool...  Thanks for all the advice....  Ive been looking at the Tankslapper and the Double bubble windscreen.  Im hopin that the tankslapper will keep the scratches off da gastank and the DB windscreen will help keep all that wind outta my face at 100mph+......  
cool.gif

Back