wheelie issue

poochie781

Registered
not that i want to ride wheelies all the time but coming from my 06 gsxr 1000 that was a wheelie machine, the busa did fine until i lower the rear a little bit jus so i can stand flat footed at a read light ( im 5'8"). I was wondering if you guys think i need to adjust my rear shock now softer. When I do wheelies i do not clutch I usually stand on the pegs, bounce the front end down then throttle up, just now it won't do it in 3rd. I was thinking about chaging the sprokets but want to see if i can remedy the issue first. any ideas??

Last edited:
Man, I'd change the sprockets. 180ish top end is still hella fast(if you're stock), and -1 +2, REALLY wakes her up.

I don't understand.. is it harder to get it up now? about being in third, maybe try standin it up higher in the rev range. JMO

My 08 is stock height and I wheelie every ride no problem. It rode wheelies easy with stock 18/43. I've tried 17/43, 17/46, and decided on 18/46. The 17 front makes the bike "feel" as if it's lost too much torque. It rides wheelies even easier now, I prefer the 18/46. I can do a 3rd gear wheelie, or shift from 2nd, but the speeds get so fast the bike gets really unstable; or I'm cooking the back brake to keep control(and I hardly ever use the rear brake).
At 18/46 I can still drop to 2nd gear at highway speeds and pull it up, it'll cruise for a mile or more in 2nd smooth and steady.
Removing the secondary throttle valves will make the power curve more sudden and much less linear, it makes wheelies even easier too.
I've rode several lowered bikes and never had a problem getting them up, some are actually easier that way. Just keep practicing, you don't have to bounce the front either, even without popping the clutch. In 1st, 2nd, ride along(the slower the easier til you get the hang of it) tach it up to 9 or 10, let off the gas, when the rpm's fall to 5 or 6, snap the gas, wheelie away, it'll stand straight up and stay there as long as you can ride it.:beerchug:

Last edited:
LOL the fact that you have to be flat footed with both feet tells me everything.

Also, I'd like to at. I'm 5'7" and Have no problem on a stock height bike. ask me how

Obviously by lowering the rear the ride dynamics have changed. It will be a little harder to raise it with just throttle, but not much. Was the liter bike lowered as well? A stock Busa seems to be (at least to me) already a bit closer to the ground than a 1000. I went +2 in the rear and was very happy overall. Mine is still stock height though.

:hijack: i am a bigger guy, how's those new image seats for us big butts lol?? think there is enough room or just stick with stock?

No, I have a 29" inseam and a stock ride height and seat and hold the bike up perfectly. Right foot on the rear brake and left leg to hold the bike. I always laugh when I see people on their toes holding their bike

"tach it up to 9 or 10, let off the gas, when the rpm's fall to 5 or 6, snap the gas, wheelie away, it'll stand straight up and stay there as long as you can ride it." HEHehe-heeeeeeeeee! I haven't wheelied my busa yet. The 14 was the first bike I had that could power wheelie. 1st gear, get rolling about 25 mph, let off on the gas and then tear it wide open. It will lift off by the time you hit 9-10K rpm. Mind you, you'll be doing about 70 mph or whatever top speed in 1st gear is. Ease off on the gas and it will go down soft as a feather...or, if you have the stones, shift into 2. :shocked: Make sure you have lots of pavement. Also, check the torque on your fork clamps just to make sure.

Last edited:
"tach it up to 9 or 10, let off the gas, when the rpm's fall to 5 or 6, snap the gas, wheelie away, it'll stand straight up and stay there as long as you can ride it." HEHehe-heeeeeeeeee! I haven't wheelied my busa yet. The 14 was the first bike I had that could power wheelie. 1st gear, get rolling about 25 mph, let off on the gas and then tear it wide open. It will lift off by the time you hit 9-10K rpm. Mind you, you'll be doing about 70 mph or whatever top speed in 1st gear is. Ease off on the gas and it will go down soft as a feather...or, if you have the stones, shift into 2. :shocked: Make sure you have lots of pavement. Also, check the torque on your fork clamps just to make sure.

That's the best way, since he says he doesn't use the clutch. If you just power into a wheelie under hard throttle, the bike will tach out and drop the front unless you shift.:thumbsup:

hell, just ride at 45 mph in first, then jam it wide open. it'll come up, no bounce necessary.

Back